Do wetsuits deteriorate?

4 messages
16/07/2009 at 20:27

I've just found a wetsuit we bought for our younger son, it hasn't been used for about 10 years.

Is it still usable or do they perish? ?  It's a "normal" one rather than a swimmer's. Shame to chuck it out if  another kid can get some wear out of it.

16/07/2009 at 20:48
If it looks ok it will be fine for mucking about in. The usual advice is that for the sharper end of the field in a swim wetsuit, about 3 years is the expected lifetime. I'm a bit further back and I've had mine for 3 years and I expect to get a bit longer out of it.
Farnie    pirate
16/07/2009 at 21:36

mine is second hand and has started to perish,

the local dive shop has done a bit of a repair but I do need to think about slinging it and getting a new one

19/07/2009 at 17:07

I'm tight. I've raced in my QR regularly for 10 seasons now. Its still in 1 piece, a couple of snags on the bottom of 1 leg, done 6 years ago. Still going well. Cant see a reason to replace it.

Its looking as if its going to outlast me!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.