Doner Does the Double

my enduroman 2013 training and tribulations

21 to 40 of 50 messages
06/01/2013 at 12:26
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

My meltdown basically involved too much volume, too high intensity and no rest days, this wasnt just early on, it was 4 or 5 months of madness when i look back at it. I didnt even realise it at the  i dont need to be doing stupid things like that this season.

Doner Kebab wrote (see)

so Im going to do a bit of a training log on here so people can tell me to do more or take a break.

After a brief meltdown last year I will be trying to avoid that scenario this year by training smarter and not peaking to early. .

Doner, i've quoted what you have already written to try to show you that you are not making the same mistake but on the verge of making a whole new one.

Listen to Foggy, your weight loss method seems extreme to me. No expert but when i'm training i need food and lots of it, reducing it to the levels you describe and still trying to do the volume you do and plan to do needs that fuel. Last year several people told you to have a rest day before your bonk, listen now and avoid it.

purpletrilady    pirate
06/01/2013 at 12:35

and the extra weight will not stop you doing the Double. There were all sorts of shapes and sizes there last year. 

purpletrilady    pirate
06/01/2013 at 12:37

and what's wrong with 140 days? You will get to your target weight in time for the double and you will feel much better losing it slowly.

purpletrilady    pirate
06/01/2013 at 12:39

I'm still ill 5 days now with flu.

I think it will set my training back at least two weeks. I'm trying not to stress about it.

Doner Kebab    pirate
06/01/2013 at 12:54

i only got 90 days till my annual 10k race and dont want to be overweight and as it was my first ever race its the one id like to PB at. I know it was silly trying to crash diet and even ate a banana before i ran today   650 cal deficit should be enough to get to my target weight and still be able to knock out the next few weeks of easy training, i dont think my plan really kicks in with the volume until march time anyway.

seren nos    pirate
06/01/2013 at 13:01

make sure you also eat all the calories you are burning training...............you will get yourself into a cycle of getting ill if you don't fuel properely.........

and its a long road.....enjoy

purpletrilady    pirate
10/01/2013 at 15:41

9 days of no training.....I'm starting to panic 

Doner Kebab    pirate
10/01/2013 at 16:06
Don't panic purple, it just means you will burn out 9 days later than me although, seriously, some of what you did last year should have given you a head start, wouldn't worry until the end of january.
purpletrilady    pirate
11/01/2013 at 10:55

tried a 25 minute very slow

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 17:38
purpletrilady    pirate
11/01/2013 at 17:39

purpletrilady    pirate
11/01/2013 at 17:39

somethings not working!

11/01/2013 at 17:56

I've waited for 7 hours. What did you do ???

purpletrilady    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:19

its not very exciting, this is what I was trying to type.....

purpletrilady    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:20

let me try again

tried a 25 minute very slow (kept HR below 70%)  jog

it didn't work, I felt ill afterwards.

More rest needed I think 

purpletrilady    pirate
11/01/2013 at 18:21

ah! it didn't like the "less than" symbol...

11/01/2013 at 18:24

it can take a while to recover properly from full blown flu, just take it easy and wait till you have had a couple of days of feeling normal again before training

purpletrilady    pirate
12/01/2013 at 09:07
Mathschick -I know you are right, it's very frustrating for me.

So Doner - what training have you done this past week ?

I'm still ill.
Doner Kebab    pirate
14/01/2013 at 00:20

oh Purps - it cant go on much longer - eat your greens and dont let it get you down, im told courvoisier or single malt can help

i have had a bit of a bike week this week, being the lazy git that i am i hate training on the bike. It doesnt do anything for me but i realise that it must be done. No great mileage as i havent really done a lot of biking since outlaw but after this week i have seen what a bit of training can do. Tonights session i was hitting a steady 20mph in low zone 2 and found it easy so i dont know if this is a sign of i dont need the training or that i should actually train more  

swimming - did a 2.6k continuous swim then 1.4k worth of drills and stuff on monday and saw me hit the 4k continuous mark on thursday - could have swam more but the boredom would have killed me.

havent done a lot of weights sessions this week - i done 1 tbh, Its still only week 2 of training and i dont want to over train like last year so trying hard to hold back and take everything slowly. i could have done 100 mile on the turbo tonight with ease, it felt so good to be fuelling through out the day - i use the term fuelling very loosely, KFC do an extremely nice boneless bucket - i didnt eat it all, i only had 7 of the 8 strips and 2 of the 4 chips. i gave the nugets to the kids and the coleslaw to the OH - i aint eating that stuff, its got mayo in it and i know thats fattening oh and i might have eaten an almond crossant earlier and thinking about it i seem to remember egg on toast this morning, i never ate any of my youngest birthday cake - honest

so on the nutrition front i did increase my intake but unfortunately i have decreased my running mileage this week and if i dared get on the scales i think it would show that i, indeed, have ate all the pies, ....and biscuits, and cream cakes 

14/01/2013 at 06:44

I'm loving your nutrition strategy Doner. That must be where I'm going wrong - not enough KFC. 

Purple, you've been ill for far too long. Have you seen anyone about having some blood tests or something? Hope you pick up soon. 

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/01/2013 at 09:43

Well this week saw a good start with a couple of bike sessions on monday and a 4k swim tuesday but unfortunately that was it for quality work outs. Got an eye infection from that long swim and that put a dampener on the rest of the week, couldnt really run as the swelling in my eye was irritated by the up and down motion of running so i decided to make it a bike week of sorts.

so i only managed 13 miles running last week, 131 on the bike and just 4.4k in the pool, better totals this coming week hopefully

undereating has been replaced by the more usual over indulgence of biscuits and crap and the fatboy is weighing in at a rotund 178lb

21 to 40 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.