Duncan's IMNZ Report

Slightly late, bit like me on race day.

21 to 40 of 65 messages
Trogs    pirate
23/03/2008 at 22:33

Nice one Dunc. Know what you mean about Coramandel, it's a beautiful area as are so many other places in NZ.

Definitely planning on being there next year - at the moment.  Entries open in April.

cougie    pirate
23/03/2008 at 22:56
Oh great report - and great effort - way to blag an ironman - fantastic time too !
AndrewSmith    pirate
23/03/2008 at 23:09
Well done Dunc, now you can start some proper training for the Pennile Duathlon.
JD.    pirate
23/03/2008 at 23:20
well done duncan.  sounds like a really tough day.
JD.
M.
24/03/2008 at 05:40

congrats duncan sounds like you had a very good race under the circumstances.

i hope you had a good flight back.

for all those of you thinkging of coming out here - just do it.  its a very special place indeed and ok you can go home again afterwards if you want to but believe me it isn't compulsory

M.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/03/2008 at 09:06
great report dunc, well done.
D74
24/03/2008 at 20:08

Cheers peeps.   I've some photos to put up later when I get time, but for now then there are a few on http://flickr.com/photos/duncan74_photos/sets/72157603956198171/

Sooo not looking forward to the 5am alarm call tomorrow.

24/03/2008 at 21:05
5am alarm, are you mad? Glad you see you back safe and well. The snow must have been a shock?
Imeccentric    pirate
24/03/2008 at 21:40
Great report Dunc , thoroughly enjoyed reading this, appears this race will need serious consideration for the future. I am a fan of fans!

Ally Bally Bee    pirate
24/03/2008 at 22:07
Great report Dunc - glad to hear you enjoyued yourself. Maybe you should holiday around the South Island next time - just got back myself from 10 days in Fiordland and it was magic.
Donald    pirate
25/03/2008 at 02:00
Well done that man! Great report.
D74
25/03/2008 at 08:33

@ABB - Not that we were planning or anything, but 2010 with a week up in thge Bay of Islands pre race  and then a few days in the east cape is looking likely.  Probably just do a fortnight though due to time off work ;-(   South Island will have to wait until trip #3 and time it to fit in with Wanaka   We still think that given the chance and the lack of a need to work then of all the places we saw then you'd be ending up with two English neighbours, or at least close neigbours as Jane has her eye on a specific section in Haihei.  Did you catch the Sky broadcast of the race on Saturday night?  Sadly we only saw the listings at the airport on Sunday night...

For anybody else, I'll repeat the statement that this really is a race that you have to give serious thought to.  The logistics of getting there and staying there are arguably easier for most than the european ones, it's as cheap as  chips once you get there, and the town goes IM crazy unlike anything I've seen or known.  In fact the whole country does to a certain extent as throughout the trip we were getting asked about the Ironman in most places we went, or heard items on the news.  It's a great place for a holiday for any family that will come with you.

25/03/2008 at 10:46

Didn't you find the course featureless? There's nothing to look at other than trees and fields. I found breaking it down into sections very difficult as there was nothing to mark a section break. There's also one logistic you've overlooked for anyone travelling in economy - 20 hours on a plane. It took me around 10 days to get over both trips and Michele is still coughing like mad from something she caught on the way back and it's 21 days since we landed.

But don't get me wrong, it's certainly a race you should have high on your list of races to do and New Zealand is totally fabulous and worth the trip alone. But I can't see how it's logistically comparable to a Europe race and £2k on an airfair prices isn't really comparable to 100 euros for the drive to a Europe race.  

D74
25/03/2008 at 12:09

Not sure, I thought the course was good, but then I also see what you mean about the 'featureless'.  I perhaps was breaking it up into support stations / groups of supporters, and so it dodn't really bother me on the bike.  The run I thought there was plenty going on with the little detours off the side, but then perhaps it's just a rose tinted view.

Really sorry to hear about Michelle.  She really didn't have a lot of luck with the flights did she ;-( 

My point on the travel was more logistical than economic, and again perhaps slightly biased with the agro I had getting to austria and taking into account we went straight to Taupo and didn't have the agro with the transfer.  Point i was making is that the effort in getting to an airport and from an airport on the other end is the same.  Again, perhaps from a slightly different perspective of the in-flight experience.

25/03/2008 at 13:32
Congratulations! Your report has made me homesick for good old NZ and determined to do this race in 2012 for my 40th. Yikes...Home here I come!
25/03/2008 at 13:36
you want featureless??? try Florida - miles and miles of flat straight roads with just trees either side and bikes front and back........big dull

I'm giving IMNZ a miss - when I get eventually to NZ (probably when I retire) I am going to do it justice with at least 3 months there.
25/03/2008 at 13:38

Indeed, the petal droppers weren't around when we left the plane for the transit queue!

But as said, don't get me wrong here, I'm not bad mouthing the race at all and (leaving the illness aside) there was nothing wrong with the journey. I'd certainly go back and do it again and spend a lot more time touring around NZ. I didn't find the bike course boring, just featureless. The road surface was a lot better than I'd been lead to believe it would be. I like out and back courses as you get to see the elites, I even enjoyed the weather. That was pretty much what I've been after in an Ironman (just a shame I wasn't fit enough/at all to make the most of it).

The race has a lot of really good points, such as the tour of transition when you rack, the 'get someone else to collect your bike' card in the pack, marshal's being able to stop traffic, the way the marshal's got you through the change tent and a whole load of other bits and bobs that all add up to make a well sorted race. It was all great. Just needs to be a bit closer.

25/03/2008 at 14:14

this must make you feel a bit nostalgic Dunc, having your opinions diss'd by a Tripetalker

;-)

D74
25/03/2008 at 14:55

LOL Andy - No Petal droppers, although [name drop] we were sharing our cabin with Kiss who were on their way back from a gig, and Brendan and the little woman from strictly come dancing [/name drop] 

There really are so many things to pick up on why it felt special, the More FM local radio station broadcasting live from teh site from 9-5 each day from the Wednesday through to race day getting the whole town in the mood, the adoptive businesses, the Flax Cafe french toast.

I suppose the negatives were the mandatory weigh in (sure those scales were dodgy, no way did I put on 600g during the race), the 4km run between the swim and T1 and errrr.....

Haile -

25/03/2008 at 15:06

were the mandatory weigh in

I never say my weight!

Well done dunc sounds a stoming race.

21 to 40 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.