Dunsfold sportive anyone?

Sunday 17th Oct

201 to 218 of 218 messages
18/10/2010 at 09:26
nice to see a few of you guys yesterday - and missed a few clearly. me and P didn't hang around to ride with you and just got going - we are pretty insular when it comes to pack riding and prefer our own pace. Bassy went past me at one point bitching that he was ferked - still bloody riding quicker than me though. then he punctured - haha - little victories!!

our times were 4:16 for the mid - 4:01 ride time - but we got lost and missed a turn somewhere after CP2 and ended up heading to Cranleigh so came back the way we started out on the A281 - overall ride distance was within a km so no major deal.

that was our longest ride since Outlaw and we felt it but given proper bike fitness we could have gone close to 3:45 ride time.

as said, some nice upflats! amazed at the number of social riders out on road and MTBs and then so many other events as well - adventure racing, road racing, Greensand marathon - sure is one busy area.

might just do it again next year
18/10/2010 at 10:08

Was great to see everyone yesterday and to meet some people I hadn't met before.  Saffers - you have NOTHING to worry about  .

I think Dustboy is a tart and a star . And thank you to Ali for supplying me with a whole bag of jelly babies.  I gave him two or three handfuls on the way round, TdF-style, and ate the rest.  I gave him a grand total of two to go home with...

Well - it was a beautiful day and a challenging course, but then sportives always are and we'd be pissed off if we didn't have something to crow about afterwards, wouldn't we?

I confess I found it harder than I'd hoped - just hope it was down to having been lurgied in the week before. Like TG, my HR was stratospheric most of the way round.  But I did enjoy it. 

Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I'd really hoped I wouldn't find it too hard, because it wasn't many months ago that that mid ride would have been 'only 58 miles'  because a normal ride would be 80/90 miles.  But yesterday I felt every single one of those miles .  BallBuster's going to be interesting.

18/10/2010 at 16:22
AliAird wrote (see)
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

What a start Dustboy is

Hmmm.... did SD mean  to type "what a STAR" or  "what a TART"?!

Ooops!  Well  I meant Tart obviously!

Trogs    pirate
18/10/2010 at 18:33
Artful Hen wrote (see)
BallBuster's going to be interesting.

Ballbuster's only 24 miles and less than half is uphill.  You'll be fine

Kanga M    pirate
18/10/2010 at 19:21
Shame sandbagging isn't an Olympic sport, Henny would be a shoe in  
Trogs    pirate
18/10/2010 at 19:28
Can't disagree with you there Kanga
18/10/2010 at 20:14
Trogs. wrote (see)
Artful Hen wrote (see)
BallBuster's going to be interesting.

Ballbuster's only 24 miles and less than half is uphill.  You'll be fine

It isn't! (unless you forget the small matter of the run I guess!)

40 miles (5 laps of 8 miles each!)

Just looking at Sporttracks, it reckons 41% is descending, 29% ascending and 30%  flat (WHERE???)

Edited: 18/10/2010 at 20:16
meface    pirate
18/10/2010 at 21:19
nah mostly flat
Kanga M    pirate
18/10/2010 at 22:10
AliAird wrote (see)

It isn't! (unless you forget the small matter of the run I guess!)

40 miles (5 laps of 8 miles each!)

Just looking at Sporttracks, it reckons 41% is descending, 29% ascending and 30%  flat (WHERE???)

Pedantic bloody bean counter !  It's a well known fact that Box Hill is all uphill, enough of a flat at the top to serve tea and cakes on, and absolutely no downhill sections. Like one of these things, endlessly upwards ...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2008/11/23/479645_6.jpg

18/10/2010 at 22:30
Kanga (M.) wrote (see)
 Like one of these things, endlessly upwards ...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2008/11/23/479645_6.jpg

Stupid bliddy Aussie.

Any fule can see it's all DOWNhill!

PS - and don't EVER call me a bean counter!

Dustboy    pirate
18/10/2010 at 23:57

That's a graphical representation of a Smiffy ride. Ever upwards. Marvellous

Dustboy    pirate
19/10/2010 at 00:30

Aliaird is number one in the results. Respect dude.

Apparently I DNF'd the short although m'colleagues for the entire journey Saffers & Mr Saffers did.

Fuck, chip timing is shit.

So, as my finish was in fact witnessed, I actually got Gold, only used one leg the whole way round, painted my chip yellow and black, didn't piss in someones front garden, and did in fact meet Aliaird who was numero Uno.

Lovely

Kanga M    pirate
19/10/2010 at 06:35
Dustboy wrote (see)

Aliaird is number one in the results. Respect dude.

Being in alphabetical order does help in coming first ..... he got 'tin foil' grading, as did we
19/10/2010 at 16:16
I'm not a sandbagger. Ali who rode with me on Sunday knows that... He had to ride the whole way with the brakes on.  He couldn't get too far away though because I had the jelly babies.   Honestly, Kanga, just because I've beaten you on a couple of swims
19/10/2010 at 16:17
Shame about the DNF Dustboy!
19/10/2010 at 16:24
Artful Hen wrote (see)
 Honestly, Kanga, just because I've beaten you on a couple of swims

Henny, Kanga reckons the only difference is that you swim straighter and not that you are actually better / quicker!

Kanga M    pirate
20/10/2010 at 00:32
AliAird wrote (see)
Artful Hen wrote (see)
 Honestly, Kanga, just because I've beaten you on a couple of swims

Henny, Kanga reckons the only difference is that you swim straighter and not that you are actually better / quicker!

I just like to get my money's worth out of the swim, take in all the sights, seems such a shame to rush it ...
Kanga M    pirate
20/10/2010 at 00:34
Rode to/from work yesterday, ran in today, then hit the pub tonight. Can't work out why I hurt all over ...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 218 of 218 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.