Early swim breakfast query

14 messages
13/07/2005 at 23:07
I'm doing the swim leg on a sprint triathlon team effort on Sunday - the problem is that it's all kicking off at an unfeasibly early hour - in the water from 7.30 I think. I don't fancy doing tumble turns on a tummy full of porridge, nor do I want to swim on empty or for that matter, get up at 4am to eat. Any suggestions welcome...
13/07/2005 at 23:08
get up at 4am to eat.

or if its a sprint, don't bother eating anything?
13/07/2005 at 23:12
When I go for an early run I usually have a slice of toast and OJ as I dont like to run on an empty stomach. I then have breakfast after the run.

As its a sprint you dont need to worry about getting plenty of fuel on board.
13/07/2005 at 23:14
Thanks for that, Candy. Did I mention the 9th birthday mass sleep-over we're hosting the night before? I'll be lucky to have them asleep by then... I think I'll go for a post-swim feast :-)
13/07/2005 at 23:19
Bananas- easily digested.
13/07/2005 at 23:19
Thanks both of you for the reassurance. It's 25 years since I swam in a race so I'm a bit nervous about it all...no doubt I'll be fine once I'm wet.
14/07/2005 at 07:14
When swimming that late I usually have a full brekkie at about 6.

As said before, with it being a sprint swim I wouldn't bother with anything until after.
14/07/2005 at 07:24
if it's just the swim leg then you don't need a huge amount

are tumble turns legal in pool swims in tri's - only done one but seem to recall they weren't permitted there?
14/07/2005 at 08:06
should be legal...

Echo everyone else, if its a sprint then nothing unless you're hungry...

If its longer then poor you, should have gone OW!
14/07/2005 at 10:25
If you are a cartoon character, bananas have the added advatage that the skins can be used to slow down other teams.

If you are not a cartoon this use of skins is not recommended as it would be dangerous.
14/07/2005 at 13:30
Thanks for the banana suggestion FFerret. I can guarantee I will be hungry - I usually am :-) As for the dirty tricks with banana skins Miles ToGo - I hear that it can all get a bit rough in the water - is that true?
14/07/2005 at 13:40
It can get rough at the bigger Open water swims - lot of swimmers, little space.

If its a pool swim it should be no worse than the local municipal pool at rush hour.

Some tris are better organised than others. If the lanes are seeded for instance, so that similar pace swimmers are in a lane, then should be no problem. just keep out of the way of the splashy fat bloke who thinks he knows how to swim.

Good luck with it.

P.S. the headgear in the pic is impressive but may not be suitable for the swim leg :-)
14/07/2005 at 13:53
What - you think they might not let me in with them on? Damn. I was counting on them to clear a bit of space.

I think the lanes are seeded but if the local pool is anything to go by, that splashy bloke will have claimed he can swim 400m in 5 mins...
14/07/2005 at 19:55
If that splashy bloke claims he can swim 400m in 5 mins then you are laughing unless you are one of the faster swimmers, he will be going near to last.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.