Eating for late training sessions...

I'm in a quandry

21 to 33 of 33 messages
29/10/2003 at 16:04
oooh a challenge.. i love a challenge.

i can live off my homemade flapjacks :)
i did modify them a while ago to make them a bit lighter & more breakfasty...

how can i cram some protein in too ?
any flavour requests ??
29/10/2003 at 16:46
Ooh what's the recipe??
29/10/2003 at 17:39
can I have that as well please??!
29/10/2003 at 18:06
I think your best strategy is to make sure that you have a good breakfast and lunch to make sure that your glycogen levels are maximised at the start of training.

Have a light snack between 4-5pm of about 400 calories to stop you feeling starved while training. A bagel with some sort of filling is about 300 calories plus a banana is the right sort of snack.

Drink lucozade or an equivalent while training for a further boost of calories although they are only 28 cals per 100 ml. i.e. 500ml bottle of lucozade is 140 cals. But every little bit helps.

Then after training have between 800-1000 calories. A good pasta dish and salad with olive oil and avocado, or two bagels with good fillings like honey, philedelphia etc and finish off with some fruit and even something naughty like cake or chocolate from time to time.

The optimum window for replacing glycogen after training is upto 2 hours, so you should have plenty of time to get home for supper. In my experience I don't think that your sleep will be disturbed by eating late.

There are some very high calorific eneregy replacement drinks that you could have immediately after training but I don't believe that they are as good as eating real food nor as much fun.

Don't forget to increase your protein intake as it will be needed to help keep your body in good repair given the amount of training you are doing. Can't remember the amount for woman offhand but can look it up if you like to know the figure.

Hope that helps
29/10/2003 at 19:46

well the flapjack was just flapjack... yummy with dried apricots in (went down extremely well at the club training weekend)... and pretty good with dried mixed tropical bits :)

the brekkie bars i bulked it out with rice crispies & bran flake type stuff...

can dig the original recipe out if you really want it.
30/10/2003 at 09:09
My flap jacks are either too greasy - too much butter or oil

or they fall apart- not enough butter or oil

need to practice my cooking technique
30/10/2003 at 09:13
Casper..
add a bit of golden syrup.. adds the taste factor and caramelises a bit too so helps the binding...
30/10/2003 at 09:15
Thanks CollyM...

..MM, you cook flapjacks..? Hooray..! :-))
30/10/2003 at 09:17
Yes...
(with oat cereal!!)
30/10/2003 at 09:33
MM

Cunning Plan!
30/10/2003 at 16:41
nic -i'd 2nd ww's SIS rego. I tend to use it at half conc. as tastes nicer, but still a carb drink, so on top of big lunch and smaller sandwich tea, you'll get some extra cals in. Am assuming that as you up training even more you'll reach a point where it'll be a struggle not to lose weight. I had that through mara training and had bags of nuts to snack on then as they were the highest cal snack i could find.
30/10/2003 at 17:38
Thanks Moosey, I have some Rego left but to be honest I really don't like it. Plus it'll get expensive... :-((

Dunno about struggle not to lose weight, I just tend to stay the same, but I am meant to be putting on weight (fat!) for the swim and will certainly need to eat loads to do that.

All great suggestions guys, thanks tons!
01/11/2003 at 00:34
Late night Addition:
For what it's worth. At the end of the evening swim training sessions at Moss Side they hand out bananas to everyone. It gives you a quick fix good enough until you get home to eat.

On any normal training night I'll come home cook a pasta dish and then take a FEW SMALL mouthfulls before training.

Afterwards I just reheat and eat!
(Sorry...I guess that doesn't help if you're training and then going home).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.