Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Come on, you know you want to.

681 to 700 of 1,461 messages
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
01/05/2012 at 10:36
Seren, you are fab, fab, fab, I bets that increases your confidence now youve got a 158 under you belt.  I used to tell people that if they could cycle 60 they could do 100, if you can do 158 you can do 224

Ive got a 150 mile ride mapped and planned for a 5am start bank holiday monday.  Im getting the train up to chester, sleeping over and then its going to be party party party.  Luck would have it my moms house is on the firect route back to my house so ill be stopping for fuel and spoiling at 105.

Thats all assuming my back is up to it?  feels better today having took yesterday as a rest, ive decided to take today and tomorrow off too.  Instead of training im spending the time stretching my back.  As per physio last week its not apparently anything serious just a minor strain but its very uncomfortable and not got any better in 10 days.  Finger crossed.

What are you planning for the weekend Purple, are you going to be able to join us for the swim on the 12th?  im assuming we'll also tag on something like a 60 mile ride but I dont want to go much further as have a hilly 100 on the 13th.
01/05/2012 at 11:03
Good riding Seren, a huge confidence booster.

Barlist - it's not 224 miles - nearer 232 as the course is "slightly long"

Got a big weekend planned.

Friday - 15 mile run
Sat - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run
Sun - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run

Any guesses whats on Monday?

01/05/2012 at 11:23

David, ah yes I forgot, youve got to do the triple to get a more accurate bike course length with the 29 laps

I think on Monday youll be having a well earned beer

01/05/2012 at 11:26
Thats next year... which should* give me a full set of Enduro events!

No beer until June 11th. About 3:59AM. Just after the cutoff!!

* if I get round the Deca first
01/05/2012 at 13:19
David Miles 4 wrote (see)
Got a big weekend planned.

Friday - 15 mile run
Sat - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run
Sun - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run

Any guesses whats on Monday?

World championship snooker final all day by any chance?

I'm glad I'm only doing the single don't think I'd cope with everything else going on. Thats some weekend Dave. Seren, great mileage enjoy your rest.

Just did 48 miles today. Had to cut short. Thought I'd be out by 7.30 but plans changed and I had to drop kids at school so didn't get out until later. At least it was a bit warmer but it's blowing a hoooleeyy up here.

01/05/2012 at 13:30
Monday is hopefully the same again. Unless I the OH puts a paint brush in my hands!!

seren nos    pirate
01/05/2012 at 13:54
David....i expect it will be the same then.......I imagine she has a long list of things for you to do after you have recovered from the deca...big pay back time

looks like a hard bank holiday weekend for you.......

i haven't thought about mine yet........i'm supposed to be doing the swimathon but noticed on an email that its no fins etc........so not sure they will let me do it with a poolbuoy......as i can't swim more than a couple of lengths without one not sure iof i should still go......

and hopefully some dry weather to cycle with my OH....

chilli ........thats still good mileage....plans have to change when you have a family....
01/05/2012 at 14:57
seren, there was a guy in one of the swimathons last week using a pull bouy - you will be fine. Seemed very relaxed about it all.

Take it you are in for the 5k?

Had a lane to myself in Saturdays event, which was a change from Fridays debacle of having 7 or 8 in the same lane including breast strokers.

Where are you doing it?

This is my last big weekend of stuff.
Easter was a 9 day block of training which encompassed 650 miles of cycling (including 4 century and 1 * 170 miler), 20K or splashing about and 90 miles of running up hills and down dales.

The decorating has been put "on hold" since last January when I entered the quin!! Think we might need some fresh wallpaper paste!
seren nos    pirate
01/05/2012 at 15:08
I'm doing cardiff...not sure why they are this weekend as most seem to of already
01/05/2012 at 15:22
I think Wakefield Guy (Deca) did his the week before as the pool had a gala on.

Maybe it was the same for Cardiff but moved it to the week after?

Pity I didn't know as I will be in Cardiff Friday!! (although entries are closed now)

Have fun....

seren nos    pirate
04/05/2012 at 17:01

right..after 2 days rest i almost convinced myself that i was not recovered this morning.i was tired and stressed........but i really knew that was sufferring from CBA.....a subtle difference........

so i forced myself to the big city for the swimathon.......the water was lovely and cold and i managed the full 5k.better news was I did it in 2 hours which means at that rate i will just about make the cutoff.........form 2 weeks ago when i struggled with 47/48 min miles i managed to average 38 min miles......

so glad i did as that  gives me a lot of confidence that the cutoffs are doable......

how is everyone else doing 

purpletrilady    pirate
04/05/2012 at 19:01

well done on the swim Seren 

I have now rested for 10 days !! This week has been really weird for me, I have slept a lot. I think I am back to normal now. I now realise I was in quite a bad way, constantly tired and feeling crap.

My plan for tomorrow is 120-160 miles depending on how I feel, rest on Sunday and then cycle again on Monday. The forecast is rain all day so I think I am going to get very wet.

Hope    pirate
04/05/2012 at 19:11

Just popping in to wave my pom poms and tell you all how impressed I am with the way you guys are chipping away at this! Well done all, especially where it comes to listening to your bodies and getting some rest.

seren nos    pirate
04/05/2012 at 20:12

purple i have had a few of those long rests and i was worried at first it would affect my training..but the more long ones i do the more i need to rest........its funnt one moment i am really worried as i had not done much and the next week i'm on a high from some great training........

hope that tomorrow is good for you

thanks hope....

04/05/2012 at 20:49

Good luck with your bike ride Purple, I learnt from my wet 90 miler a few weeks ago that as long as youve got the right kit on you dont notice the rain to much after a couple of hours.  Just keep the pedals turning, dont worry about speed etc.

In other news, my training is kind of on hold at the moment.  At a second visit to the physio this week he suggested my back pain stems from not having a strong enough core (I never do any core work).  His view was that the longer training sessions are likely to be part of the cause, as such I need to work on strengthening my core, lower and upper back.  He also suggested that "extreme" training may prelong the symptoms.

The pain isnt bad but its nearly constant, though has got slightly better the last few days.  Worst is bending down or leaning over, as such I cant really imagine spending much time on a bike, let alone, 4, 5, 10! hours.

Its a game of wait and see at the moment, I can do shorter gentler stuff, so ill see how I go this week.  Main aim now is to do whats necessary to strengthen back whilst keeping some training ticking over.

Doing loads of stretches and spent 45 mins in the gym tonight doing a few gentle weights, more stretches etc (ive not been to a gym for years).

I shall be swimming next Sat as planned, not sure about anything else at the mo.

Edited: 04/05/2012 at 20:52
M...eldy    pirate
04/05/2012 at 20:53

Get some core work done Barlos!!!

Seriously, that is what helped my back problems which was put down to a similar cause

I can offer you a 56 miler on Sunday if you fancy it?

04/05/2012 at 21:02

Thanks but wont be venturing far from home I dont think, going to try either a long walk or hour on the bike tomorrow.  I had a 160 miler planned for Monday.

M...eldy    pirate
04/05/2012 at 21:04

No worries ..... I wont be joining you on Monday  

purpletrilady    pirate
05/05/2012 at 19:15

Only 105 miles for me today. My legs gave up at about 85/90 miles.

Massively dissappointed 

Beginning to have some doubts. Rest day tomorrow and then we shall see what Monday brings

M...eldy    pirate
05/05/2012 at 19:22

Keep strong Purple ..you have put a lot of time and effort in, one 'bad' ride doesnt put off the event x

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.