Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Come on, you know you want to.

701 to 720 of 1,461 messages
05/05/2012 at 20:45

Come on Purple - you're training has been great and inspiring. You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts.  Let em have it.....!!!!     

seren nos    pirate
06/05/2012 at 07:57

purple.it shows how far you have come when you are dissapointed with a 105 mile ride.....

how was the speed.....did you manage to keep the average over the 11.6 mph......which is the majoc figure in my head.......

off for a ride with my OH.....he has a shiny new bike which he is just starting to learn  to clip in......his is red so its bound to be faster than mine

purpletrilady    pirate
06/05/2012 at 12:52

couldn't even look at my average speed as the last hour was awful.

something is still not right with my body, last night everything ached.

I am resting today and I am still hopeful that tomorrow will be better.

purpletrilady    pirate
06/05/2012 at 12:55

and wtf is happening with the weather ?? At the moment I would struggle to last 30 minutes in a lake. I really need it to warm up quick !

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/05/2012 at 14:17

Keep the faith Purple, one session not meeting expectations doesnt mean anything, maybe youre down with something that isnt quite obvious or could just be fatigue from the months of training.

One positive thing is that the AT lake is more of a pond, its probably not more than 6 foot deep at the most, so it wont be as cold as a lot of other lakes, you can also have a flash of hot soup/tea etc which you can glug whenever whenever you pass the crew/support point.

seren nos    pirate
06/05/2012 at 14:24

it was a lot milder out this morning..stripped down the leg and arm warmers...........my legs were still tired form monday night......but managed 70 miles with my hubby........first ride out on his shiny new road bike........just got to get him into a swimming pool next

06/05/2012 at 21:12

A little lurker popping in....  Seren you're storming and it's great reading everyone's training.  A bad back is bad luck Barly. I am having a few issues with mine at the moment and I know a  long bike ride makes it worse. 

Don't know you purpletrilady but as Seren wisely says, it says a lot that you are disappointed with 105 miles.

seren nos    pirate
07/05/2012 at 09:01

off for a short swim in the river.........after some shopping.just going to try out my new wetsuit....no big swim today

Thanks madge........its a bit of a learning club.but trying to listen to my body......hence no running at all

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
07/05/2012 at 09:19
so when doest he taper start people....?
seren nos    pirate
07/05/2012 at 15:43

I binned the river swim.........it was raining and felt that i had better things to do on a bank holiday than swim whilst my OH walked in the rain watching........

my taper will start after the chiltern 100 and in true Seren style I will probably do nothing at all for those two weeks..........taper for me means stop totally........the final wek will be in the caravan and it will be great for once to holiday without having to get up early to fit in a ride or a run

purpletrilady    pirate
07/05/2012 at 18:41

130 miles today - I am a lot happier

I would have liked to do a 150 but given the way I felt on Saturaday I am really pleased with 130..

Taper starts now for me, but a long slow reduction in training.

Thanks again for the support - it really help.

Now then....where is Barley ????

seren nos    pirate
07/05/2012 at 19:01

235 miles in a weekend .....brillaint stuff 

07/05/2012 at 21:09

Fantastic training Purple, 235 miles in 3 days, that suggests to me that when youre fully tapered youll not have to worry about the bike distance on the day.  Big well done.

I havnt trained for a week but today I got the train to Berhamstead, followed the canal back to MK, about 26 miles all together and took me 6.5 hours.  I only managed to run/walk the first 3 hours, the rest was nearly all walk as I didnt seen to have the energy (thinking virtually no breakfast or fueliing was the reason).

All in all im really happy with it, really good time on my feet and though my legs were shot when I got home theyre already feeling a lot better so with an hour or two's rest it seems I could be good to go again.

All depends how my back responds tomorrow and the next few days, last weekends marathon didnt do it a lot of good.

My taper also starts after Chiltern 100, that said im still a bit hesitant about cycling.

08/05/2012 at 15:47

Some good training going on here. 

Purpletrilady - you say your legs "went" on the first ride. Just wondering if you fuelled better for the second ride, hence got round OK and you actually ran out of gas on the first one due to nutrition?

Barley - same thing... what would you do differently regards fuelling for a long training session?

08/05/2012 at 15:58

Thanks for the comments on fueling,

Despite what it would seem, I do know how to fuel for my sessions (if anything ive a tendancy to over fuel), sometimes I just dont bother and look at it as a tough session to push my body & mind, partly to simulate the mental side further into a race, e.g. feeling how I would during the AT double marathon.

I fueled well for the marathon the week before and was full of beans at the end.

08/05/2012 at 17:18
A MaccaD breakfast does not constitute ideal per-race nutrition, Barley. But that said, you were full of beans and eager to make up for the five hours you had spent with no-one to talk to
09/05/2012 at 14:23

Great stuff happening up above this message.

Did 14.3 mile run on Monday, 2.2 mile swim (3600m) yesterday and 63 mile on this bike this morning. Quite happy with that for this week. Back to work tomorrow unfortunately.

235 miles Purple, top form. Did you do your 3 or 4 long days Dave?

Edited: 09/05/2012 at 14:27
09/05/2012 at 15:02

I did what I could over the bank holiday.

Wallpapered the hallway. Painted the kitchen. And bathroom.

2k swim / 70 mile bike sat (03:36) 19.7 avg

2K swim / 50 mile bike Sun (02:24) - 20.3 avg

2K swim / 100 mile bike (05:20) / 16 mile run @8:35miling Monday. I have found a run course with 1 mile loops in a local park that has the same terrain and slightly more climb per mile which I have been using extensively over winter. 

6 Mile run and a 3K OW swim yesterday.

Bike today (to/from work)

seren nos    pirate
09/05/2012 at 15:30

Chilli great work again........

dave...i am so envious of your bike speed...i can only get near those speeds downhill with the wind behind me...

i have met again with the neurologist and although he doesn't know whats wrong he has ruled out a few nasties........so will now have a heart and neck scan as the next set of tests......he has given me the go ahead for the double which i was a bit worried about.......he is a runnwer and hockey player and so unlike some doctors does not try and blame every problem on your training...one of the locum GP's I saw in my surgery just put it down to the cycling or the swimming even though i was doing very lttle at the time......and dismissed me.......

purpletrilady    pirate
09/05/2012 at 19:26

Chilli - your storming the training

Dave - I can only dream of being able to cycle like that!

Seren - good news 

I'm still suffering with tiredness and exhaustion. I've also put on 6lbs over the last 4 weeks, basically I think my body is shot to bits at the moment. I've given up caffeine, unhealthy carbs, gluten, I'm taking a shed load of supplements and trying to get as much rest as I can.

Ironically I feel more unhealthy now than I have for years. However I'm confident that I can get it sorted iver the next four weeks.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.