Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Come on, you know you want to.

801 to 820 of 1,461 messages
seren nos yn canu    pirate
24/05/2012 at 20:07

purple the deca and quin people are talking about boots and gloves and under clothes.......but i think for the rest of us we will be fine............i think after a few days their bodies just can't get the heat system going in gthe swim.........we will be fresh for ours/...........the siting isn't a problem as the laps are about 300m and a number of buoys.........less people  to draft off now as it will only be the double poeple........

it is a pretty setting

purpletrilady    pirate
24/05/2012 at 21:07

If it's like today then it won't be a problem. I did wear my rash vest today and unless we have a heatwave I will still wear it as I feel the cold on my chest.

I don't mind the cold on my hands and feet, but will take my boots just in case.

Symes-lent night    pirate
24/05/2012 at 22:19

Last year it was more of a problem keeping the core warm than anything else really, the water temp was at 19C on day one and six, would imagine with a few more days like we've had over the last few days it will be rising again as it's a shallow pond.

Monique    pirate
25/05/2012 at 00:21

I've got a rash vest as well as some tight fitting neoprene gloves and socks, tried the gloves and socks out today and they're pretty good. Symes is right, the temperature didn't change but our ability to cope withit did. Some people did suffer from hypothermia, so it was a physical effect of consequetivee days with little sleep, the body temperature just can't regulate itself. This was my biggest problem last year and the only sure way of solving it as far as I can see is to finish earlier and have more sleep. I blinkin hope I'v edone enough to make that a reality.

As for the doubles and triplers well you'd have to ask those that did it last year to see how it compared to a pool swim of similar duration.

25/05/2012 at 11:02

Mon - I'd think/hope that those doing the deca/quin will be helped by staying in proper accommodation rather than tents in helping the core stay warmer, fingers crossed for you that's the case as well as the additional sleep factor.

I'm sure your epic cycling will stand you in good stead on the earlier finishing time.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
25/05/2012 at 11:10

Doing the triple swim last year I was in the water for 4.5 hours.  I cant recall feeling cold at all, swam in wersuit and 2 swimcaps.  I did have a flash of soup which I swigged occasionally as a precaution, but didnt really need it.  Ive also a high body fat so that would have helped.

The lake wasnt particularly cold in my opinion, as its small and shallow im guessing it'll warm up quite a bit over the next few weeks, especially with the warm weather we're having now.

Its the Quinn's and Deca's that will suffer, understandably their bodies wont be as strong/able to cope with the cold after theve been at is for days and days.

25/05/2012 at 11:14

In other news:

Ive booked meal tickets for Fri, Sat & Sun, 3x Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner each day.  had anticipated id need them for myself and a support crew of 2.

Im not going to be using any of the Friday ones now, and will have at least 1 spare for each meal over the weekend. 

If anyone wants these meal tickets for themselves or supporters please send me a private message?  Id rather give them away than see them wasted.

25/05/2012 at 12:39

Who knows, if it stays this warm for a week or so with the shallowness of the pond they may be looking at non-wetsuit swims 

25/05/2012 at 13:15
Barlow - if the worst comes to the worst, you may be able to rid of them on the days that they are due to other supporters/participants who are there
25/05/2012 at 17:16

evening

Its a scorcher out there....

25/05/2012 at 19:44

It is up north as well. Did a 13 mile run in the mid day sun. It was warm. Went through nearly a litre and a half of liquid. Last longer run for me. Bike Sunday early hopefully and swim in the evening.

25/05/2012 at 19:51

good running chilli...............i have done nothing all day but watch the torch relay..............i am so proud of my middle son who did the torch.......... from him being on the news this morning to doing interviews and carrying the torch..........its been amazing.........I have had  such a lot of proud mummy moments today

Doner Kebab    pirate
25/05/2012 at 20:08

im sure he will have a few proud moments of his own too in a few days time Seren, Good luck to all 

25/05/2012 at 20:17

thanks DK.......He was the one who helped me get my first sub 4:30 marathon...he supported me at the lakeland 50 last year meeting me at 5:30 am in the morning in the village to run in with me and he was also a volunteer at IMW where he worked all day in transition...........so I'm sure he's going to be a great crew member for me at the double...........

And I will try my best to make him as proud of me as I am of him........if anyone will get me through the double .he will

25/05/2012 at 21:58
Awwww Seren! You two obviously have a very loving relationship. It's made me go all warm and fuzzy inside
26/05/2012 at 18:56

All,

Re lake temperatures, I swam at Lake 32 today, 2 weeks ago it was chilly, such that even with neoprene socks, gloves and 2 hats I was cold after an hour.

Swam there again today in just my wetsuit & 1 swim hat, it was lovely, must have increased 5 degrees in 2 weeks (apparently it was 12 last time).

26/05/2012 at 19:05
Do you still have that swim cap, Barlos
26/05/2012 at 19:06

Yes, must be in my swim bag.

26/05/2012 at 19:07
Is it still wearable?
purpletrilady    pirate
26/05/2012 at 20:22

5 hour cycle for me today - it was warm ! 

Very pleased the lakes have warmed up, lets hope they stay that way.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.