Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Come on, you know you want to.

1,201 to 1,220 of 1,405 messages
12/06/2012 at 13:46

We loved being there this weekend, not as much time as we wanted but things conspire against you, don't they?

Symes, I know you will be back, you have that new target See you and Jane at the Outlaw. If you fancy another go I will happily join the "crewing gang" so Jane gets to share the pressure.
Purple, loving reading your report, it does get a bit smoky in here though reading it. I am sure you will return stronger than ever and hopefully with a less churny tummy. I do hope you feel physically better today.
Ditchy & HH, awesome to support the Champioooone and her beloved Are you like the Queen and Prince Phillip now?
To Seren, who really truly is a star, bloody brilliant effort in rubbish conditions through the run. What a performance, what a woman, it's hardly surprising Son-of-Seren-Super-Sherpa has turned out as he is, is it? He was fabulous.
Seren, re: Jo, I have told Funkin he isn't allowed to support her again after he crewed for her A2A attempt last year.
Barley, Schmunks, SuperCazz, Purple's Crew - grand to see you all, great supporting you all did there

See you all at Outlaw then!

MTri    pirate
12/06/2012 at 14:00
pain is temporary wrote (see)
Ironholgs wrote (see)

got a lump in my throat. You are one tough cookie Lisa.

Yep me too!!  Absolutely amazing!!

+1

purpletrilady    pirate
12/06/2012 at 14:16

The run

My support crew had found an empty room with a settee in it for me too rest. They got me changed and gave me some plain white rice to eat – yum! I managed a few mouthfuls. I was still feeling optimistic, I thought if I ate a few mouthfuls each lap then it would gradually get better. I couldn’t sleep, I think I just wanted to get the run started.

The cheers when I started the run was amazing, again it was like having an energy boost.

Lap 1 – ran all the way around and felt OK.  It is, though, an incredibly hard run route and I have every respect for Seren. Doing 48 would be so hard. It took me 14 minutes to run 1.1 mile so that gives you an idea of how hard it was. Stopped at my support crew and had a mouthful of rice, all OK so far.

Lap 2- it all fell apart again. It’s amazing how quickly you can go from feeling OK to totally spent. The nausea returned and I was unable to run. I also felt like I was getting heart palpitations and that scared me. I still didn’t think I was going to quit but I thought a sleep would help. I got to my support crew , I couldn’t eat or drink and told them I needed to stop to sleep. They told me I couldn’t stop on this lap as I had already gone through the timing chip, I had to go round again. My brain wasn’t working and I blindly believed them. They in fact wanted to make sure that I really did want to stop.

Lap 3- don’t remember much other than I walked around it, got to the end and went in for a sleep.

I lay there on the settee on my own and realised that it was all over. That run course was brutal and there was no way I could complete that without being able to eat or drink. 30 minutes later my crew turned up with gluten free porridge, diarolyte and warm water. The only thing I could drink was the warm water and when I told them I was stopping I could sense they knew it was the right thing to do.

The medic came to see me, she was so supportive but she did say that I wouldn’t be allowed to continue if I could eat or drink and in a way I needed to hear that.

purpletrilady    pirate
12/06/2012 at 14:21

Afterwards

I showered and got dressed. It was heaven to get under the shower. I went out to see the pirates and got lots of cuddles and support. We left when Seren was half way through the run and it was good to see her smiling.

I had a lovely meal with my support crew in the evening and told them “never again”. I slept well, woke up and thought I just have to do it again. So roll on Enduroman 2013.

Ironholgs    pirate
12/06/2012 at 14:42

" I slept well, woke up and thought I just have to do it again. So roll on Enduroman 2013."

Amazing, best of luck for next year. I'm sure that you'll achieve it.

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2012 at 14:54

Purple......even though its a course with lots of laps.......its amazing how few people you see and apart from seeing you at the turning circle a few times we never did manage to meet up on course........

I was gutted to hear you had dropped out but without nutrition the course is impossible.....it was the only decision you could make......

you have done some brilliant training and another year on you will get there........Kerry who finished the full this year dropped out of the single last year on the bike and managed to come back and do the double.....

a brilliant report and I was so amazed that you stayed around to support me for so long....you must have been shattered.......that showed true strength..........

roll on 2013

Monique    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:00

Good report Lisa, it's all about eating and if you can't then it's game over. You can concentrate on getting to grips with that before next time-. I had a spell of nausea on one of the maratthons this year, for me it's down to getting my salt balance right, I had dyralite and salt tablets but was neccking salt direct from the salt cellar prior to that.

I tend to take a lot of calories via drinks as eating is diffficult, slimfast, complan, mars milk, build up etc all made with milk. Then rice pudding and fruit in  jelly on the run. A new discovery this year was coffee with vanilla torq on the bike . Practice with all those things on your long rides and see if any of it works for you.

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:11

I was thinking that SA

Ironholgs    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:11

sez you !!

Ironholgs    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:20

Slacker

Ironholgs    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:21

Monique - intrigued by the fueling. Do you stop to drink the coffee? Presume it's hot?

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:34

SA..only arrived back yesterday evening...........i am writing it honest.......just finished the pre race part 

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2012 at 15:39

DIM race report

Where to start....a year ago I did the Enduroman single at AT and discovered what a hard course it is..and because there was only 2 ladies I managed to win it as the other one dropped out due to the biblical weather conditions...part of the prize was a free entry to this years race or off a longer race......so I found myself entering the Double.

My confidence went a little after my failure to make the bike cutoffs at IMW and I spent the winter trying to get the bike miles in....I thought i had done enough.......but now i know I needed to do even more...also when I did my left knee ligamants in March and decided to stop running apart from The London matahon until the event...even walking was giving me pain but I knew that i would have a long time to do the double marathon...........we had 19 hours. How could I not be able to do it..........these thoughts came back to haunt me.....

So a week before the race the family headed off to our caravan in Devon  for a week  onroute to the new forest. Great to be at the caravan and not to get up early for a bike or a run. But on the bank holiday Monday plans changed as my mother became ill and after a brief hospital visit she went to my sisters to stay. So as we couldn’t leave my eldest son alone.....we debated and my husband and youngest son headed home leaving me and my middle son to finish the holiday and move onto AT without them. This meant my main crew was my middle son who had only turned 17 that week. Luckily there was offers of some additional help from pirates.

We decided to head for AT a day earlier on the Thursday so that I could have time to set up and then chill on the Friday...heading there Thursday morning I was filled with dejavu....the weather was horrendous with the rain lashing it down. We arrived and tried to set up the tent. We managed it but there was a lake in the tent that we had to mop out and we were both soaked to the skin and freezing cold..........I wanted to go home I felt so miserable.......

Once again the pirate posse got to work and a number of them got in contact with Monique and managed to get phone numbers exchanged and she gave me the codes to the room at AT she had booked......that single thing made a massive difference. I slept the next 2 nights in a warm dry bed.

I did some food shopping for the weekend , got the rest of the things into the tent and went to  support for the athletes........they looked so wet that I felt for them...I couldn’t believe it that the weather in June could do this 2 years in a  row..Symes and Mrs Symes seemed to be doing well. I was gutted to hear his problems the following day..The run course does seems to make injuries and leg problems develop.....

Friday was a day for resting, supporting and getting food packed into bags and writing a food/ drink plan for the race. Registration and then a blood test done for the IUTA benefit. The briefing as ever was great and was pleased to see that 7 ladies had turned up for the double..Only one the previous year and the torrential weather did for her.....meeting up with Barley and schmunkee.thatnks for the spare meal tickets

Good night sleep on the Friday and the big day was here

12/06/2012 at 16:08
Ironholgs wrote (see)

got a lump in my throat. You are one tough cookie Lisa.

Same here. Amazing story.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/06/2012 at 16:24
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Have you drunk the cider yet?

im thinking she has and fallen asleep as a result! 

12/06/2012 at 16:45

I came over to see if there were any race reports on the go over here, there seems to be a distinct lack of them over on TriTalk at the moment.

Read the ones that have been written or are in progress. Awesome achievements by all. Commiserations to Mon and Symes though.

I did the Double on the "easy" Lichfield course which was bad enough. I can't comprehend doing one on a course with hills!

purpletrilady    pirate
12/06/2012 at 16:59

Holgs and Mr SA at enduroman 2013 - will be like Outlaw all over again 

purpletrilady    pirate
12/06/2012 at 17:01
Monique wrote (see)

Good report Lisa, it's all about eating and if you can't then it's game over. You can concentrate on getting to grips with that before next time-. I had a spell of nausea on one of the maratthons this year, for me it's down to getting my salt balance right, I had dyralite and salt tablets but was neccking salt direct from the salt cellar prior to that.

I tend to take a lot of calories via drinks as eating is diffficult, slimfast, complan, mars milk, build up etc all made with milk. Then rice pudding and fruit in  jelly on the run. A new discovery this year was coffee with vanilla torq on the bike . Practice with all those things on your long rides and see if any of it works for you.

Thanks Monique. I've never had any problems eating before (usually just the opposite !). I will definitely try the liquid options.

seren nos    pirate
12/06/2012 at 17:11

As the race start had been moved to 9 am we racked the bikes in the morning.....I put some air in the tyres....but the valve bit on the front tyre came off in my hand....i managed to screw it back in and pump it up......got to the transition area and the tyre felt a bit softer..........so decided to be safe i should change the inner tube..........so struggled to change it and a nice gentleman helped me and got the new one in and left me to pump it up.......after a few minutes ..I realised it wasn’t getting any harder........took it back off and discovered the massive hole in it..........gutted and proceeded to try and put the second one on........again another nice gentleman helped me change this one.......and when i pumped it up it stayed up.............I was a bit worried that things happen in threes and that I was now late for breakfast...managed to quickly stuff down a bacon sandwich and a sausage sandwich and a can of diet coke and headed for the lake........

Wetsuit on and I was ready......never ever gone anywhere near the distance and the one 5k swimathon i did my time was close to cutoffs.......needed to do 2 laps every 15 mins and that would leave me a 15 min safety valve for stops for drinks etc.......

My plan was to draft as much as I could for the first 2  hours before the swimmers started leaving the lake.......we started and by 100m I discovered the pack had left me for dead.......there was at least 25 m of clear water infront of me and just 2 swimmers behind me....My right shoulder started hurting on lap 2 which is early on for me....I kept on swimming not getting near anyone and at the start of the lap 3 was being lapped already.....I have never been bumped into so many times a couple of the fast boys were just plain rude....swimming over you when they had all the space and speed to swim around.....one even grabbed my leg and then swam over me in the area where you had to stop and give your number.......my language was not very good and he was given a warning after by the organisers I believe............i was worried that I was already behind schedule but waited until the end of lap 8 to ask the time........it was only 9:50.....i was 10 mins ahead of time.........I was amazed.........kept going and going and this pace continued until the last 3 or 4 laps when I really struggled.....my shoulder wanted to stop working and for the first time I started to feel cold..only managed 10 pees in the lake so it hadn’t warmed up...it was just a case of keeping moving and knowing that I was ahead of schedule helped.........i only stopped twice for some lucozade sport and a bite of cookies.........I came out of the water relieved that part 1 was completed ...not only before the cutoff but the time was faster than double my IM swim PB........i was already 30 mins up on the day....there is a walk from the lake to the changing tent and my Sherpa arrived at the lake as I came out with two bacon butties and some pepsi max..........I drink so much water swimming that i need something to mop up all that water in my stomach...the butties went down great ........and I’m sure the coke kills off any lake bugs...into the changing tent and with losing the use of my left hand  temporary  Caz helped me get dressed into my bike clothes.......I was ready

Swim time 4.8miles in 2:55:05  7 female from 7

purpletrilady    pirate
12/06/2012 at 17:17

I'd forgotten about the rude swimmers. I got swam over twice, I couldn't believe it. There was absolutely no need there was plenty of room in the lake.

1,201 to 1,220 of 1,405 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.