Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Come on, you know you want to.

1,401 to 1,420 of 1,549 messages
13/06/2012 at 21:24

Great reports Seren/Purple. Seren you did mighty fine. After I saw you early on in my run ( mid afternoon Sun ) I thought there was no way you would finish. For the people who weren't there there was most incredible display of will power and determination that you would stuggle to see again that got her to the finish. I couldn't stay up I was knackered. Your laddie has a great attitude and didn't want to sleep as I think he saw this as letting you down and he wanted to be there for you. He did great!

Purple sorry it didn't work out, you can only learn from the experience to make you stronger next time!!

Barley, Schmunkee, Supercaz and everyone else shouting for me, thanks it was such a pick up. I know there were others there shouting and in the 1/2 enduroman,. sorry I didn't meet you.

I am writing a bit of a report and I'll post it soon.

The only thing I felt let things down was the electronic timing. I had to ask twice to check my run laps before it was resolved. I had fed every 4 laps so at 20 laps I ask how many left to be told 19 done 5 to go. I asked for a check and was told there was no anomalies. I asked for a second check and got told again, nothing wrong but we will look whilst I run the next lap. At the end of that lap I was told yes your were right done 21 now 3 to go. I ran over the mat every time on my own deliberately, made sure it beeped so can't really understand it. As it happens on the manual lap counts in the swim I was also told I was a lap short. I knew I was right and again it was corrected. I know I was right as I swam near Carl Atkinson from the Deca and we finished in the same time. Again I made sure that every time I went through the funnel I shouted my number and waited for the reply. One last thing, I can't understand someone elses time for the day as I was running the course backwards for my last lap and saw this person twice running towards me, once at the tennis courts and then near the entrance to the car park ( big field ) yet they were credited with a finish time far quicker than mine!

All told though I thought it was an excellent event, throughly enjoyed it, just! I was made up to complete the course in a time that I had throught may have been achievable prior to the event.

Hopefully I will return to AT again to complete in one of the Enduroman events ( not sure which one though )

13/06/2012 at 21:47

The Half? 

It's interesting what you say about the timing mats as I heard a lot of people questioning them both on the run and on the bike.

There was one guy who had a DIM race number and he came in on three separate occasions and they had to check and double check his lap count each time.

I wonder whether the weather had any impact on the mat receiving the chip.  I dunno *shrugs*

13/06/2012 at 21:56

The bike wasn't a problem as I had 117 miles showing on my computer so I knew where I was up to but one of the Quins was telling me over breakfast that they had done 10 laps and were told it was only 9! I'd be a bit peeved to be told I had to over 11 miles to go and maybe an extra 50-55 mins to bike. It was sorted but not easily.

13/06/2012 at 22:10
Well, have just read he last ten pages and am a mess.

Seren - speechless. Brilliant. (but the cats in the lake were brilliant as was yr description of peeing standing up! But your boy. Your lovely boy who I've not met but I love him. My son who a lot of you know is fab, too, and i'll miss him like mad at Outlaw but Sean sounds wonderful. And he must have a second sense to know what you wanted at all the feed stops. Is he the one wanting to be a doctor who went to India? He will go far.

Purple - gutted for you because you were ready and fit enough and strong enough. Tummies are a nightmare. But there will be some ways to help. I so hope you are ok and still drawing strength from how much you've done and how far you gone. You are my heroine.

Symes - have yet to read back far enough to find out about your knee but sounds a bit dodgy. Poor you. But yourp're still done multiple IMs you nutter! Hope you"0're on the mend.

Mon - bugger. Will you be back for more? You and your gold sequinned shorts are still locked in my memory from last year! Hope you're ok.

Ditchy . Did HH do the 100? How did he get on?

Sounds like the usual ace piratey-ness all round all week.
meface    pirate
13/06/2012 at 22:31
Artful Hen wrote (see)
Sounds like the usual ace piratey-ness all round all week.

Except they won stuff as well! What is that about - did we get good all of a sudden?

seren nos    pirate
13/06/2012 at 22:32

there was definitely problems with the run timing mat.......the bike one was spot on.....

yes AH...it is the one who wants to be a doctor......I hope he makes it as he deserves to get what he wants.....I am still so proud of him......

Chilli.it was great to see you on the run a few times......next time wear a pirate top as i could spot one of those even when unconsious

13/06/2012 at 22:47
The chip timing went funny on my run too, losing two laps, which they found when I queried it.
Hope    pirate
14/06/2012 at 06:48
Fantastic reports. Well done and deep respect to all
Holly_Golightly    pirate
14/06/2012 at 07:14
Pretty sure they had problems with the timing mats last year too.....
14/06/2012 at 08:07

I seem to remember that too Holly.

seren nos    pirate
14/06/2012 at 08:10

they had a different team in this year and i think they were hoping to solve the issue......

but i think with the laps being so small its causing problems.........

purpletrilady    pirate
14/06/2012 at 08:18

Whilst I was resting in the briefing room Steve and Eddie came in and were chatting to each other.

They were really cross about the problems with the timing mat, to quote "we paid a lot of f***ing money for that timing team and it's still crap"

14/06/2012 at 09:12
kittenkat wrote (see)
FerrousFerret wrote (see)

Thanks for all the race reports to date, utterly compelling reading.  Caps doffed to anyone toeing the start line.

No, caps doffed for anyone who has put in the effort in training and prep (which our guys have). No respect for anyone having money and ego to throw at these events when they haven't trained and taken it seriously. Or just are going through a mid life crisis and can't pull the girl or afford the fast car.

Am I missing something here? 

Anyone who undertakes ultra triathlons would have put the hard yards in. Can you be a little more specific on your point? Seems a little negative to me, or is there some underlying issue with people spending their disposable income on a hobby they love?

Reading back its not the first time you have raised this.

Yes, I could have saved a sh!t load of money over the years. Kona cost me an arm and a leg, but was fortunate enough to qualify and had a great holiday/race over there. I have spent some money on bling but these are bits of kit I have saved up for. Enduroman put on events that, pound for pound are great value for money.

14/06/2012 at 09:57

To be fair on the timing people they did a great job over 10 days.

I had one issue where they missed one run lap, but it was pretty obvious that it hadn't registered (4 * 13 min laps followed by a 27 min then back to 13's)

No timing mat is 100% - all you have to do is be polite and ask and it's usually sorted out.

The online results service was 100% better than previous years, given the lack of internet connectivity I have received comments on how easy it was to follow.

Orca    pirate
14/06/2012 at 10:43

Amazing reports but the room seems to get terribly smokey when I read them???

Seren, inspirational and your son sounds amazing. Purple, gutted for you but you be back with all tummy issues resolved.

So proud to call myself a pirate so that I can be associated with such inspirational people!

purpletrilady    pirate
14/06/2012 at 10:46

I think it just got difficult on Sunday. Maybe it was because it got so busy.

Overall though it was a superb event, I can't wait to go back next year.

I still feel really crap, I went back to work yesterday and I think that was a bad idea. Today I feel exhausted and nauseous again. I am resting today 

Monique - where is your report? You did promise 

Symes    pirate
14/06/2012 at 10:59

I'm still waiting for last year's from Mon which was going to take the shape of a board game 

14/06/2012 at 11:29

will get round to doing one... if anyone is interested?

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 11:31
Symes    pirate
14/06/2012 at 11:30

Easy for you to say... 

purpletrilady    pirate
14/06/2012 at 11:46

of course we are interested 

1,401 to 1,420 of 1,549 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.