Enduroman UK 2013

when one iron isnt quite enough

21 to 40 of 388 messages
20/07/2012 at 12:06

Barley it was tough for you this year but from what you said it was right not to do the double when there were other priority events and getting your back sorted. Your support was great. I'm sure you'll be back but not standing in the turning circle shouting next time!! 

Edited: 20/07/2012 at 12:07
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
20/07/2012 at 12:10

Cheers, backs a lot better now thanks, still taking things steady for a while as dont want to relapse. 

I think what I learnt is that you need to be a lot more ready, i.e. start training a lot earler and not rely on 3-4 months peak training in Feb-Mar, next time I give it a shot I want to be lighter and spend a good few months before Christmas developing a solid base.

20/07/2012 at 12:14

Live and learn Barley, its what life is all about!!

Have you started now for next year then

Doner Kebab    pirate
20/07/2012 at 18:34

tnx chilli - its that hardness that actually appeals to me, just done my first ultra and was expecting a nice jolly in the grimsthorp eastate ( stately home - not council ) but what i got was a bit of tarmac and loads of long grass, mud and an almost insurmountable  mud hill - i fecking loved it, not so much at the time but now i look back to last friday and wish i was back there. 

and tnx also for the comment STIL, got my training back on track now and quite focused, longer or shorter this year - no real certainity there, but quicker - definitely

seren nos    pirate
20/07/2012 at 21:03

DK.amongst the tri talkers who have gone longer this year...........a number of them have been PB'ing at shorter distances in tri and running..........my year of ultra running helped me Pb at marathon and all the shorter distances last year...........one can help the other...you are determined and will get good results as long as you listen to your body and don't get injured...........

the beacons ultra in npovember  is a good one ....only 46 miles but fun.......

The Silent Assassin    pirate
20/07/2012 at 21:22

Well I'm happy to nail my colours to the mast

Next year I'm going double long, yes I'm slow, yes I'll be near or at the back, but I don't care, its all about a personal challenge.

I will be entering as soon as IM Wales has had its bottom smacked by me.

I look forward to competeing along side people who have to go back to prove something and the people who have decided to do it, but haven't come out and said that yet, oh yes and DK as well.

Doner Kebab    pirate
20/07/2012 at 22:22
Oh great stuff Q, if you are doing it I'm definitely doing it. Feck me if we can't have a laugh doing this there's no hope for anyone. Just told my missus and she didn't hit me so its a goer. Bring it on.
purpletrilady    pirate
21/07/2012 at 11:16

I'll be there 

I am going to be a double iRONMAN in 2013!

21/07/2012 at 11:35

Yay.

Go purple.

*commences early pom pom shaking*

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/07/2012 at 13:44
Nice one purple, how much did the double cost and what wad the length of the bike and run
Lee the Pea    pirate
21/07/2012 at 15:52
Yay Q! Glad to hear you're doing it

Purple, you will definitely smash it this time.

This is going to be awesome, looking forward to supporting
seren nos    pirate
21/07/2012 at 16:22

i think it was about £230 this year and the bike is a little long at 232 miles.............but the run course is now accurate so 52.4 ish miles...........

they will have 2 or 3 swim waves next year as its the world championship race i believe so will have loads doing the double...........but at least the fast swimmers will be going off after the slower ones have started........

purpletrilady    pirate
21/07/2012 at 16:33

Seren - do you know how many they are going to have doing it? 

purpletrilady    pirate
21/07/2012 at 16:34
M..o.use wrote (see)

Yay.

Go purple.

*commences early pom pom shaking*

seren nos    pirate
21/07/2012 at 16:37

not sure but I'm sure i read 2 or 3 waves depending on numbers...........so i would think they are hoping for a 100 or so

purpletrilady    pirate
21/07/2012 at 16:50

Hopefully that means a six o'clock start for us slowbies

21/07/2012 at 19:08

DK my bike computer had 117.5 miles on it. OK it will only be so accurate but all official measurements have it at 116 miles. 

Go Purple!!!! ( and less of the coke early on next year! )

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/07/2012 at 19:22

ah not that much over standard distance then, not saying i was worried at all

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/07/2012 at 19:30

i did read PTLs and serens race reports again last night and it hasnt put me off, well apart from serens 20 hour bike split!!!   but ...

do you really need a support crew because my missus wont be having any of it but i may be able to persuade my brother.

and how far can you erect your tent from the course, i read that seren had a couple of 30 minute naps - is this easily possible/do many people do it?. 

are the bike laps 10 miles or there abouts - if so where do you keep your spares? in your tent? 

and yep theres bound to be a hundred more silly, pointless or unnecessary  questions im going to ask

purpletrilady    pirate
21/07/2012 at 21:01

I wouldn't recommend doing it self supported but one guy did, you can read his race report here:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79278&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=7305

There was only one of  38 that was self supported so I guess that tells you a lot.

I can't comment on the tent situation as I stayed in a hotel. If I had needed sleep I would have gone to the car. Nearly everyone I spoke too took a nap, although I'm guessing those at the front of the field didn't.

The support crew looked after all my stuff. You can store some stuff at the turning circle. The rest can be kept in the car and/or tent. You can also rack a spare bike.

pointless, silly and unnecessary questions welcome

21 to 40 of 388 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.