Enduroman UK 2013

when one iron isnt quite enough

381 to 397 of 397 messages
Doner Kebab    pirate
19/06/2013 at 18:31

My target times had changed throughout the training period and I know that people say that everyone feels like they have never put in enough training, I really didn’t. February and March mainly consisted of intervals geared towards a 10k PB – im such an idiot, I didn’t get the PB and I let my main focus slip. My biking was kind of Okish but never did back to back long rides. I trained at night with a few long ones, my longest bike was only 130 miles, my longest run wasn’t more than 18 miles and a considerable time before the event. I wanted to go sub 30 to begin with then realised that I was asking too much so I came up with the time of 34 hours. This was an honest target. I know that KK has been blasted for her thoughts on long slow ultra events and to be honest im with her on it. While its great to finish an ironman or ultra, if you are just scrapping through on a single you shouldn’t be trying a double so my 34 hour self imposed target time came about by just doubling the single ironman time. Of course I would have been happy with 36 hours, I would have been pleased with a finish, but to have finished within double the time of a single was my aim and I got a close 33:52:18, it’s a good job I didn’t need a shit is all I can say ???

Like many have said before me, the folks who organise, race and support this event make it a truly remarkable event. I’ll probably be back next year for something, nothing too long like everyone expects. I cant afford the time to train or the time off work. I don’t want to spend longer than 17 hours in the saddle in one go, its not me, I know I could do the triple, do I need to prove it? Not really, its just not a big enough pay off. Next year I may do the hundred miler, £50 for 2 days is a bargain. If I go

Doner Kebab    pirate
19/06/2013 at 18:32

longer at enduroman it may be the quin or more likely the Deca, but only if it is on the 10 x 1 format. I believe that the 10x1 deca is very achievable to me, just not next year unless I want to be single, which leads me on to the thank yous

To my other half who puts up with more bullshit than any partner really should and to my kids for not making me feel too guilty about not taking them out as much as I should have done this year

To Seren and Mon for advice and right words at right times and to all on facebook and forums who wished me well.

Just as a little post script for those that don’t do the facebook thing I just completed my first 100 mile continuous run across the South Downs Way in sub 24 hours ( 23:22 ) this is a qualifying race for the UTMB and gives me 4 points towards qualification. It was a hard slog with 12,700ft of ascent. im sure ill be able to find a race next year to give me a few more points to complete the criteria

The Silent Assassin    pirate
19/06/2013 at 20:42

Awesome mate, see you Saturday

Running Postie    pirate
19/06/2013 at 20:42

Great race report DK and a big pat on the back!

Tired Badger    pirate
19/06/2013 at 21:09

Excellant report DK, and a massive well done again

Lee the Pea    pirate
19/06/2013 at 21:43

Brilliant report Doner, you've obviously got a knack for the ultra stuff.  Very well done

seren nos    pirate
20/06/2013 at 12:48

well done DK....it was great to see you looking so good on that run.......great performance and recovery......

20/06/2013 at 19:12

great report DK. Well done.

I can't wait till next year's race. 

Lee the Pea    pirate
21/06/2013 at 08:45

You going for the single then Soupy?

21/06/2013 at 10:24

Im tempted at the moment Lee - but I say every year that I'm going to do a full IM then chicken out as the time approaches and I've not fitted the training in. 

21/06/2013 at 10:30

Soupy if you enter an IM then you will do the training I hear a couple of pirates are doing Nice next year....

seren nos    pirate
21/06/2013 at 11:52

But you know with training and a good support crew at AT you could so do it.......won't be hot and such a big event as Nice......but you know that you could do it  as its just one more lap

21/06/2013 at 12:24

MG - I've entered 2 IM races and not done them, had to apply for a refund on first and downgrading to the half at Henley.

Seren - yes I do believe I can do the full at AT.  I just have to discipline myself to get some long rides in. I think I'm going to go for it - 3rd time luck and all that. Then I can work towards a bigger IM with harder cut-offs the year after. 

purpletrilady    pirate
21/06/2013 at 14:37
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

MG - I've entered 2 IM races and not done them, had to apply for a refund on first and downgrading to the half at Henley.

Seren - yes I do believe I can do the full at AT.  I just have to discipline myself to get some long rides in. I think I'm going to go for it - 3rd time luck and all that. Then I can work towards a bigger IM with harder cut-offs the year after. 

excellent 

Lee the Pea    pirate
21/06/2013 at 14:41

Yay Soupy!!!  I'm signing up for the half when entries open.  We can chivvy each other along training wise, and you could always come stay at mine some time and we can head over to AT area to do some training on the bike course

21/06/2013 at 17:56

Soupy thats more like it. Have a bit of confidence in yourself!! Don't let Braggers lane get to you or Burley or horses on the course. Lets face it Burley is busy but its only a few hundred yards long, you'll never lose much time to worry about.

My longest bike leading up last year was 70 miles but I am from a bike background a few years ago. Just don't overcook it. The run will take care of itself. You know the course now so get your strategy right of easy and hard. Take encouragement from the crowd and don't stop smiling. It helps!!

21/06/2013 at 17:57

Doner. Great report fella, enjoyed reading that one. Well done

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
381 to 397 of 397 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.