Enduroman UK 2013

when one iron isnt quite enough

161 to 180 of 388 messages
seren nos    pirate
24/10/2012 at 08:01

citizen 

the lakeland 50 is awesome.....i did it twice..last year i did the enduroman single then the lakeland the next month......

advice depends on how fast you are...........my advice is to get used to walking up hills..if you are slow at that you will be overtaken by good walkers..i then run the flats and downhills.......if you are faster/ fitter then you can obviuosly walk parts of the uphills.........

get used to using a headtorch.unless you are super fast then you will need it.........when night falls.i would recommend joining up to do the night sections.unless you are a good navigator in the dark.........its not easy in the dark.......then if your group is too slow or too fast you can change at the next checkpoint.

keep eating and drinking and enjoying the views...its brilliantly organised and a beautiful run

citizen 146    pirate
25/10/2012 at 12:10

Dk thanks for that.

Seren, I am not fast, in fact I really don't run, I am attracted by the endurance element plus the scenery ( I did Gaelforce West in Ireland last year which I would thoroughly recomend running biking small amount of kayaking and a vicious walk up and down croagh Patrick which took me and hour up and an hour down!! ). My friend who is already in did the ''Paras 10" a few years ago with me that was 10 miles tabbing ( ie run/walk with a heavy backpack -36lbs. We hope to be able to do that ie walk the ups and slow jog the down and some of the flats, just looking to complete at this point.

We are going to do some night time training/navigating ..

The Silent Assassin    pirate
04/11/2012 at 19:09

sorted!!!!!!!!!!!

We managed to get an entry for IM Florida 2013 for Mrs SA and as its not till November 2013, this means that my double attempt will fit into the racing plans next year.

Can't afford the entry fee till end of Jan, so question is, as it is now an official IUTA world cup event and the National Champs, is it likely to fill?

Doner Kebab    pirate
04/11/2012 at 19:15

if the double fills theres always the 100 miler

04/11/2012 at 19:30

SA don't think it'll be a problem for next year as I seem to recall that they are talking about the possibility of 3 different start times. Wave 1 at 6am, 2 at 9am and 3 at 12pm. In this way I think they can accomodate more people and try and have more people finishing at the same time.

seren nos    pirate
04/11/2012 at 20:26

yes you will be fine SA......good news on both accounts

Doner Kebab    pirate
29/11/2012 at 18:48

well guys - its the last few days of slobbery for me, training starts monday, getting ready for a numb arse and achey legs

seren nos    pirate
29/11/2012 at 20:26

I'm startinga  week later DK...don't do to much too soon and burn out......have fun

Doner Kebab    pirate
30/11/2012 at 09:18

im going to take it real easy until new year seren, its just lately i have been neglecting the bike and pool a bit so im going to get some structure in for december and then start upping the training in january. by that time it will be only a 22 week plan, i went hard for 20 weeks last year before i had my meltdown so i have learnt something from it. this year = more biking, more structured swims, better diet control and more functional weight training. never DNF'd anything, want to keep it that way

30/11/2012 at 11:26

Looking forward to see how you get on Doner. Maybe 2014 for the double for me

Doner Kebab    pirate
30/11/2012 at 20:24

dont expect too much from me, dont get me wrong im going to train for it properly just like i did for the outlaw but the first time i do any event i only think of it as a taster. This years outlaw is a prime example, i did the training, i turned up and did the race (albeit with a walk instead of a run at the end) but i learn so much from that, that next year will be a more concerted effort. Next year will also just be a test for the double and longer stuff, i want to finish in a decent time but i value a few good lessons over hitting a desired target time if it makes me better for the year after. Saying that, if i find it too hard, as in time devoted to training i will drop the distance right back to get better at sprint and HIM and do more ultra running. If theres a big piratey present in 2014 i dont go beyond the double i may do the 100 miler and do a bit of crewing.

Monique    pirate
01/12/2012 at 10:05

Hello dk, Just messaged you on FB. my only thought at this point is, don't  bother too much about times, keep a very open mind conditions on that course play very big part. We're due some luck with the weather but it's been horrendous tail end both years so far.

21/12/2012 at 11:58

2009 in Lichfield wasn't nice weathwerwise either!

Doner Kebab    pirate
21/12/2012 at 19:27

im just concocting a welly/cleat combo

21/12/2012 at 22:04

Doner Kebab wrote (see)

im just concocting a welly/cleat combo

What for the swim?? 

Doner Kebab    pirate
23/12/2012 at 01:25

dont be silly - they would let in water where i screwed the cleats through, god man - think about it   

23/12/2012 at 20:11

I think cleats would make the wellies too heavy for the swim anyway so yeah you're probably right, stay cleatless for it. You wouldn't want too much water coming in cos you've got to cycle 232 miles after and with wet feet it would be too unpleasant

Whats your plans for longer sessions as the winter goes on leading upto the event DK? I wouldn't really know where to start other than gradually upping distances. I think Seren did a 150 mile bike through the night in the run up to the day.

Swimming training appears to be cheating by all accounts but then it seems bike training and running is also

Ah well on call until 8 in the morning and then off until the 30th. Did a 3 mile treadmill today. Longest run since 14th October. It's a start I suppose  

Edited: 23/12/2012 at 20:11
seren nos    pirate
23/12/2012 at 20:21

I am so glad that i'm only doing the half next year

23/12/2012 at 21:35

Get out of it, you loved every minute

Doner Kebab    pirate
23/12/2012 at 22:35

i did read a bit of what seren was doing last year but she cheated so much - all those swimming sessions in the taff in the cold, BBBrrrrr   no thank you. 

i got a very basic plan for the bike:
january = a couple of 50 mile long rides
feb = working up to 100 milers
march = working up to 150mile
april = at least 1 x 150 miler and 1 x 175
may = at least 1 x 200 miler 

i know so many people will disagree with me if say this but..... i dont train for the bike that much, before the outlaw i did a couple of 80's and couple of 100's and a hand full of 50s / 60s, most of my other sessions were done on the turbo and lasted about 60 minutes, sometimes 90, occasionally 120, i dont feel like i undertrained and maybe i could have done a lot better if i did more, i dont really like biking for hours for training purposes. this is not the way to go for the majority of people that actually want to be any good - my bike split was just over 6 hours so could have been a lot better. After the outlaw i found that maybe my niche is in long distances - coming 6th in my first ultra (70 miles and 10 days after the outlaw)  i also got another 6th place at Ladybower 50 miler a few weeks later, hairy half got 5th and beat me by 20 minutes - but he has done a fair bit of long running. so my plan for running is still, as always, - keep going, simples. 

Ill probably get an early or 2nd wave start as its the world champs so training for the swim is same as outlaw, some of my bike trainig will be done at night like seren did - i already run quite alot at night and live out in the sticks with no houses or street lighting so i am used to that scenario. i train solo near all the time, the exception being OW swimming, and this will stand me in good stead as i been told it can get very lonely on that course by a few people. 

kind of hoping for a 30 hour time but so much can happen, at the minute my run is solid and swimming is getting better every month - nearly 20 seconds off my 400m pb in the last month. last year i was doing 9 minute 400's this month im hitting 7:26 and 8 minutes is so easy. almost breaking 50 minutes for 2.5k so im doing something right. Next year i WILL NOT FECK UP MY NUTRITION, im also doing more weights this year but still not enough core work, im kind of getting psyched up for the big day but just need to get xmas and new year out the way then i can focus on diet and some serious training.

seren - you will be doing the half but i bet youll still be there before hand and probably still be there by the time i get my arse across the line - so itll feel like you done the double again ;D

161 to 180 of 388 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.