Entry Level Bike

Any recommendations please?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
27/03/2013 at 21:41
Nothing humble about the mighty Planet X Melds great bikes at great prices i have got a cabon pro superlight roadie and a Stealth TT i have ridden a few of mymated high end bikes and none of em really outperform em especially considering the ?????????????? extra they paid
M...eldy    pirate
27/03/2013 at 21:43

Its all in the engine Max ... even if that is a an old one  

27/03/2013 at 22:07
Its not about the bike..............its all about the drugs
28/03/2013 at 09:58

Since when did scoffing mushies make you ride faster, Max?

28/03/2013 at 10:14

I agree that Specialized Allez is a good buy, I had one for years and it was great.

Also completely agree that Planet X are superb. I brought a Pro Carbon frame four years ago and built it up with parts from my Specialized and from eBay and I love it . Would also love one of their TT frames as I don't think they can be matched for value. Complete bikes are a bit more than £700 though and not sure which voucher scheme they operate, if any?

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

29/03/2013 at 12:23

Hard to beat the spec and price of a specilaized and if you hunt around you may still get a good deal on a model form a previous year if the current colour does not bother you, cyclesuk are worth checking out.

03/04/2013 at 09:41

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

Ribble bikes look great value but I need help with fitting the right bike for me so will have to pass this time. Planet X look like they're out of the cyclesheme price bracket. Cyclesuk don't have any shops near me and they look like they've got their own version of the cycle to work scheme.

I'm not sure about cyclo cross bikes either. The roads I'll be on can be pretty rough but I am thinking about racing on it and I have a mtb for paths, etc.

I will definitely look at the Specialized bikes. Is it just the Allez which is good for the money or are the next ones up (Secteur, Allez Sport) worth the extra?

03/04/2013 at 16:29
My mate has a Cube again excellent bike and great vFM as she got last years model
03/04/2013 at 20:01

I got the Triban 5 from Decath on the cyclescheme - Carbon forks and stays, but sora gears for £499

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-white-id_8167039.html

03/04/2013 at 20:04

9sqrun - did you look at the Triban 3: do you think the extra £200 is justified?

03/04/2013 at 20:17

DE - the 3 had normal pedals with cages and I wanted clipless (which come with the bike anyway), I also got the helmet and shoes as this was my first grown up bike..... now om the lookout for a pair of legs to get me up the hills!

03/04/2013 at 20:19

In September last year, after a bit of advice here, I bought a Felt F95 (2012 model) from Wiggle for £438 (RRP of £650). Carbon forks, Sora gear etc. Cracking deal. It is a nice bike if you can get a similar deal. 

17/04/2013 at 16:40

I've now been to several shops and have my certificate. I think I've narrowed it down to a choice between Decathlon's Triban 7 and the Felt F or Z 95. The Triban has a lot of kit for the money but they don't let you ride it outside. I think I'd also have to change the head stem but that doesn't add a great deal of cost. I'll be trying the Felt's out on Saturday.

One other shop owner suggested I spend all my certificate on the Specialized Secteur Sport, the main reason being because it has a carbon rear end. I've checked the specs online and it only mentions a carbon fork. Does anybody have this years Secteur Sport to confirm how much carbon it has? I was tempted at the time but considering it's £200 more than the Felt I'm not sure it's worth it. Any thoughts?

17/04/2013 at 17:06

Have a look at this site.

http://www.bikeradar.com

Look at the reviews for them.

Don't get too hung up on how much carbon a bike has

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 17:09
17/04/2013 at 17:30
Yeah. Go aluminium
17/04/2013 at 17:36

For a grand you can get

Carbon frame, complete sora or mostly tiagra group set,some entry level wheels and basic finishing kit

or

Ally frame, Complete tiagra, mostly or all 105 group set, entry level wheels, some slighly better finishing kit.

18/04/2013 at 07:46

I also bought the btwin Triban 5 and the wifey bought the Triban 3 from decathlon, both great bikes, both very robust and feel quite light, did a very hilly 100km sportive a couple of weeks ago and flew up the hills like a winged banshee. Decathlon now do a new line one is around £600 and a full carbon job for £800ish, I am very impressed with the triban 5, well worth £500 and Ive had a go on the triban 3, hard to tell apart (apart from the size) the 5 seemes more comfy to ride, a bit more responsive, I have since upgraded the seat, wheels and tyres.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.