Exercise bikes for training

Ironman good or ironman bad??

16 messages
20/09/2012 at 21:05
Ok folks, I have an ex- gym exercise bike which is v good sort with all programmes, gizmos etc. My question is...." is this good to build into my ironman training programme for the dark wintry months ahead??" I have no turbo trainer so this is it ( or the open road obviously!) Any thoughts......?
M...eldy    pirate
20/09/2012 at 21:08

Its better than nothing I would say, a turbo would be better tho

cougie    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:17

Yep as Meldy says  - it is better than nothing.

Ignore the distance readings - they're always optimistic.

The position will be wrong compared to your road bike and the saddle wont be the same.  You can use it in the week when its dark out - but I'd still make sure to get a ride in at the weekend. 

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:19

What Cougie said, it will almost fill in for a turbo trainer, make sure you get out at weekends.

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 10:19
WildWill    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:23

I use a spin bike a lot ...so what i would say is base your training on time rather than distance (as said its always wrong) and a get out on a real bike any time you can

cougie    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:29

I do like the spin bikes - very adjustable so you can get a decent position on them.

They cant teach you to corner or ride in the wind or bunnyhop potholes though. 

WildWill    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:31

They make too much noise when you bunnyhop on them

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:38

lol

seren nos    pirate
21/09/2012 at 10:41

I can't bunnyhop on my road bike

M...eldy    pirate
21/09/2012 at 15:02
I can't bunny hop on my horse
Trogs    pirate
21/09/2012 at 15:04

Isn't the horse supposed to bunny hop for you Meldy?

IronCat5    pirate
21/09/2012 at 16:58

Isn't that dressage?

21/09/2012 at 17:12

Nah that's showjumping surely?

IronCat5    pirate
21/09/2012 at 17:18

Who cares, it's not a real sport!

Back to the OP...I travel a lot with work, and would always use the gym bikes when away. Normally leaving them in some saddle up bars down position that no-one else could fathom.

I used some AudioFuel workouts that I could put on my phone to keep me amused, but as you're at home you could use Sufferfest or something. Don't sit there pedalling easy for an hour, it's much better to work hard for 30 mins instead (after base building).

21/09/2012 at 18:16
Thanks for comments everyone, I actually quite enjoy it. I think I will just have to watch out for being in slightly diff position.
I have the tv all set up with subtitles on and the radio playing. This is both bad and good.
The bad........it seems Jeremy Kyle is on every time i am on it
The good......I have to keep riding until they show the results of the DNA test!!
meface    pirate
21/09/2012 at 22:40

You can watch sport and build interval training in.

Ball in play - tempo hard (so you can still watch the game)
Ball out of play - easy

or the reverse

Ball out of play - eyes out sprint
Ball in play - pedal easy

But yes the saddle is likely a sofa, the position either like a recumbent or a chopper. Is it better than not training in the winter - of course.

M..eface

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.