fat buddha Bike advice please

or rather Wheel and cassette

21 to 30 of 30 messages
meface    pirate
13/10/2012 at 23:26

Depends if you want to be a bikealist and hang with bikealist friends.

If not you can hang with Triathletes and discuss the new carbon coat hangers you got so you don't interrupr your recovery too much when getting changed.

meface    pirate
13/10/2012 at 23:29

The decathlon states 7/8/9 cassette not a 10. So if current set-up is 10 then no good.

meface    pirate
13/10/2012 at 23:36

The R501s would be fine but they aren't likely to be much of an upgrade and the Tiagra cassette is worse than the 105 supposedly provided with the bike.

BWT
14/10/2012 at 12:50

M..eface - I was just going for a cheap wheel / cassette combo to be able to leave for turbo.

But no idea what a reasonable upgrade wheel / cassette would be so that I can make a cost judgement!

This bike lark is a new discipline!  I think Trathlon is 5 not 3!  Bike talk and mechanics is number 5!

BWT
14/10/2012 at 21:17

M..eface - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-6700-10-speed-cassette/

would this be an upgrade to my current cassette?  Would it work on my bike?

meface    pirate
14/10/2012 at 23:51

yes Ultegra is 1 up from 105.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5700-10-speed-cassette/

105        £39.99    240g for an 11-27
Ultegra  £49.99    230g for an 11-28

105 in my view delivers the best value, weight saving of ultegra just don't justify the price difference. Dura Ace will save you 40g for another £80, or remember to take a dump before the ride!

But boh are 10-speed Shimano. Beware that if you pick extremes of cog ranges you may have to change your change length. Bike will likely have a short cage derailleur and may not manage to cope with 11-28 but an 11-27 should be fine. If you have 11-23 currently you may find that chain isn't quite long enough to use an 11-27 without adding links. Basically it just won't go onto the biggest ring on the back if you are on the biggest ring on the front. But then you shouldn't be cross chaining like that anyway (but I do sometimes)

M.eface

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 23:52
BWT
15/10/2012 at 19:38

M..eface thank you for the advice, and putting up with my muppet bike questions, so far wheels ordered and on there way...

The bike came with a 12-30 set up - so not sure if this is good or bad?  guessing 11 means I can go a little faster wihout pedalling like a mad thing to get my cadence up (I struggle with that - or maybe I am just lazy!) and 27 means that going up hills will be a bigger challenge?

And I currently never manage to get to big ring / big ring as there is strange and rather of puting clicking - I am guessing something is rubbing / gear of the front chainset.

And 10g weight saving...  I think I could save 10lbs if I stopped treating myself after each ride!

All these numbers after the Name is just mind blowing, 4600, 5700 6700...  I had not a clue.  So thanks once again for your time and advice.

meface    pirate
15/10/2012 at 20:26

According to the spec it did and a 50/34 up front. And yes 11-27 would have the effect you described. So you are learning!

I would be suprised if a short cage could handle a 12-30 span. So it could be you are reaching the limit of the chain length and the rear derraileur is almost flat. You can check this when off the bike. Lengthening would allow you to do this but then would probably struggle to absorb the slack in 11. The clicking is probably the chain trying to change up but failing as it isn't long enough. So don't do it - but then you chould have dropped the small ring earlier anyway.

The pic looks like a short cage - I am presuming it doesn't have a long cage. Look at your MTB or a pic of one and look at the gaps between the two jockey wheels on the derailluer.

The numbers are jsut to confuse people, make it look technical and make you think a 6700 must be better than 5600.

BWT
19/10/2012 at 23:07

M..eface - you have been an absolute Star...  I have set up my new wheel this week and given it a spin on the turbo...

Not sure I am going to like the turbo BUT...  it will hopefully reduce my excuses not to get on my bike over the winter so thank you.

meface    pirate
20/10/2012 at 17:31

You will not be thanking me when you are a puddle of a man on the garage floor!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.