Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

201 to 220 of 10,139 messages
Nurse Ratched    pirate
04/05/2012 at 19:31

OUCH!  

My feet stayed clipped in and the bike came sliding along the tarmac with me.  

May I take this opportunity to say a massive thank you to the individuals who drove past me as I was lying on the road with the bike on top of me .

Nurse Ratched    pirate
05/05/2012 at 08:58

Just had a look at the Great Scottish Swim site.  Think I'm going to give it a go.

05/05/2012 at 13:45
Nurse I did mine on country lane out side of a gate with a big Alsatian lying there. Don't know what he was thinking but he didn't move just look at me and stayed lying down lol
Nurse Ratched    pirate
05/05/2012 at 14:38

Obviously you weren't bleeding enough to tempt him!

05/05/2012 at 15:14

Rubbish bike ride today, wish i hadnt gone out. Planned 55 miles to Overstrand but the bloody map didnt work properly on my garmin.

Then it started hailing ??? Was wearing shorts so freezing. Bum started aching after 20 minutes, then feet, gears wouldnt change properly, seat then came loose. Pushed on for a bit & managed 35 miles.

On the plus side, new cross country park run at fritton lake was good fun

Nurse Ratched    pirate
06/05/2012 at 08:31

Oh Sausage, what a nightmare! At least the run was good.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
06/05/2012 at 11:17

Tri suit ordered

06/05/2012 at 12:48
Cool. I will be donning my trisuit again next weekend for the Wattisham Triathlon.
Marshalling at the Waveney Triathlon on the Sunday. My daughter & I are in charge of the cycle mount & dismount section should be interesting.

Done a mile swim this morning. Tried using some of the Fink tips out the bible. I do believe i might have glided a bit in the pool today, lol.

I might reduce training over the next couple of weeks, got a few niggles in my shoulder, knee & shins that wont go. Ive also got the norwich 100 at the end of the month so want to be 100% for my first century ride

Hows your training going NR, have you managed to get any extra sessions in based on what you have read in the book? Appreciate the weather hasn exactly been motivational.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
06/05/2012 at 14:27

Sausagedog, dont knock the ride to much, treat it as a learning experience for race day.  Now you know to check your bike and all nuts etc are done up.  Ive had tribars come loose during races and in training having not tightened them on properly. 

Most disconcerting was at Roth a couple of years ago, when handing my bike to the catcher at the bike dismount line my back wheel came out the rear drop-outs, id been hurtling down hills at 40+ mph not long before.

Nurse Ratched, hope youre ok.

Edited: 06/05/2012 at 14:28
06/05/2012 at 16:03
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Now you know to check your bike and all nuts etc are done up. 

Yep, my bad. I know i only checked the tyres in my haste to get out on Saturday

Lucky on the back wheel, could have been a nasty one.

Weekly blog update, not very exciting i'm afraid.

http://clearseaz-timetogetfit.blogspot.co.uk/

Nurse Ratched    pirate
07/05/2012 at 08:51

BB, I'm fine, thanks.  My accident was last year, I was just talking about it because it hugely knocked my confidence.  Specifically, I'm now scared of braking!  So I just need to get back on the bike and get some outdoor miles done, and reassure myself that I'm not going to either slide the back wheel or launch myself over the bars.  Yes, I have always had a highly fertile imagination!

Edited: 07/05/2012 at 09:08
07/05/2012 at 12:35
First open water session done & purchased an Aqua Sphere Pursuit wetsuit.

11 degrees in the water which certainly woke me up. However, after about 25 metres didnt feel cold at all, bit of a shock to the system sticking my face in the water but managed a bit of front crawl. God knows how i'm going to swim in a straight line, lol. Practise i suppose.

Loved it though, cant wait for the next proper session. Today was only a 30 minute taster session.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
07/05/2012 at 12:39

It's surprising how quickly you warm up, isn't it?  One you get over the head freeze, that is.

07/05/2012 at 12:56
Yeah, i expected to be shivering by the time i was done, cold on the face bit was definately the worse.

Found the swimming breast stroke hard work, front crawl seemed much easier in the wetsuit though. Apart from the direction issue.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
07/05/2012 at 13:02

In the quadrathlon last year, I swam beside my friend who was breast-stroking a lot, so she did the sighting!

07/05/2012 at 13:07
Handy, whats the best way for sighting if your on your own, every few strokes lift your head to the front for a breath?
Nurse Ratched    pirate
07/05/2012 at 13:34

Basically, yes.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
07/05/2012 at 16:39

Right guys, are you all ready for this?

I have a friend who has been a running buddy for quite a while now.  'Twas she who persuaded me to do the Kindrochit Quadrathlon last year, and so we also became swimming & cycling buddies - my partner in crime!

She has just talked me into doing an event for her 40th in 2013.

The OUTLAW.

If His Holiness The Fink says I can do it, it must be true.

Now a question for you - how far in advance is the date usually announced/entries open?

Oh crap, crap, crap, what have I done?

Rafiki    pirate
07/05/2012 at 16:47

Gastank will be pleased - you are doing an IM in 2013! He was right!

07/05/2012 at 17:09
Quick real her in get the catch net
201 to 220 of 10,139 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.