Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

4,861 to 4,880 of 10,137 messages
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
20/08/2012 at 22:15

..... not like a bit of bacteria is going to kill yer, is it?

20/08/2012 at 22:15

SD,

Love the blog and race report. As someone wanting to get into Tri`s, it`s good to read the ins and outs of race day.  Also, from the photos, think this thread should be re-named `Now trimman to half ironman and beyond....`.

Magic.

20/08/2012 at 22:27
Thanks DoM. Although theres still plenty of spare tyre on me.

Have you got a Triathlon lined up?
Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/08/2012 at 23:04
IronYank wrote (see)
Here's my guess at a Nurse translation...

Hold your something you're having a go (you must be kidding)

Be quiet, you're talking nonsense

M...eldy wrote (see)

More like run with the wind eh Nursey !!

You could do that or you could do a long pool swim or you can do both  

Yes, Meldy, yes I could do that............................

Gastank wrote (see)
You should run to the sea, swim a bit and run home... if you were committed that's what you would do, anyway you just have a run then.... 

I just will then

Gastank wrote (see)
.... maybe a fish supper and some wine when you get back

Damn fine idea. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/08/2012 at 23:06

Top training Wild(sweaty)Will and DTT

20/08/2012 at 23:16

SD,

No Triathlon lined up yet. Only done 3 bike (2x60mins and 1x90mins) rides so far. On MTB until Cycle to Work scheme re-opens at my work in October and then go for a road bike. Starting the swimming when my two daughters re-start swimming lessons when schools go back and i can swim whilst they have their lesson. Going to have to get my skates on if i want to do Outlaw 2013 (end July i think). Brighton Marathon in April, then looking to do an Oly and/or HIM in May-June time. Any suggestions? Maybe Outlaw is too early in the year and i should look for an IM in sept/oct 2013. But, holiday in August will put a brakes on the training.  

M...eldy    pirate
20/08/2012 at 23:30
Nurse Ratched (Baconlube CEO) wrote (see)
IronYank wrote (see)
Here's my guess at a Nurse translation...

Hold your something you're having a go (you must be kidding)

Be quiet, you're talking nonsense

M...eldy wrote (see)

More like run with the wind eh Nursey !!

You could do that or you could do a long pool swim or you can do both  

Yes, Meldy, yes I could do that............................

Gastank wrote (see)
You should run to the sea, swim a bit and run home... if you were committed that's what you would do, anyway you just have a run then.... 

I just will then

Gastank wrote (see)
.... maybe a fish supper and some wine when you get back

Damn fine idea. 

Something is going slightly awry here isn't it??  

Nurse Ratched    pirate
20/08/2012 at 23:32

Don't know what you mean, oh mentor of mine 

M...eldy    pirate
20/08/2012 at 23:33

DOM .. Outlaw in July is perfectly doable if you start laying down a decent base now
There are numerous half IM that will fit within that timescale too, the favoured one by Pirates usually is the Bala Middle which is the first weekend in June ish

If you want to, you can

20/08/2012 at 23:40
Rafiki wrote (see)

Cake - if Trogs ever glances at that 'other' thread, a bus will be the least fo your worries!

Isn't it quiet without Gas....do you think the Welsh border patrol detained him.....? He did upset Seren at the Outlaw....revenge and all

I think the border patrol would be keen to get hom out of the country not detain him

Nice going SD

Concorde sprint tri yesterday. Great day. The support there was great. Got to meet Happychap, Cat, Schmunks, Troggs, Barlist too, great to finally meet some pirates .

Still amazed by how friendly the tri community is. Having done a few half marathons, 10k's and London mara, I think I have probably spoken to about a dozen people at running races. Yestereday it felt like I had a chat with everyone there including supporters, everyone I passed when I got there said hello and everyone I passed when leaving said goodbye. All the marshalls were great too 

M...eldy    pirate
20/08/2012 at 23:47

Its a good place to be BBT!   You will get negativity but it is very much in the minority and you can choose to ignore it  

Thats me done for the night .. time for home

Nursey, I am keeping an eye on you !!!

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
21/08/2012 at 00:50

BBT great to meet you yesterday, glad you enjoyed the race and support

Hope to see you at an event soon.

21/08/2012 at 07:09
Well done BBT. Agree about the tri community, always great support from the newbie up to the elite.

DOM, agree with melds, Ironman doable for you next year. Building a base with your MTB cycling, you'll then find road cycling a piece of pi$$. I mix my training up with MTB now and again.

I've not done an Olympic Tri yet. In hindsight it would have probably been a good idea to do one before the middle distance.

Not sure whats happened to the list Gas! I think we need an update?
21/08/2012 at 09:10

I'm considering doing The Outlaw next year if I don't get a place in the VLM through the ballot.

What shorter tris are the most popular to take part in during the build up to this event?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
21/08/2012 at 09:23

Bala Middle Distance (early June) has long been a popular build up race, think we're looking at targeting that as one build up race.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
21/08/2012 at 09:51

I'd love to do Bala but it's just too far away, since I'm already angling for 3 tri weekends away next year. Will need to find something closer to home.

My shoulder is really complaining about yesterday's swim

ET7
21/08/2012 at 11:50
I have a dodgy shoulder thingy from swimming too nursey.. Can only swim for up to an our at the mo..frustrating.. Got stretches to do but still sore.

On a different note..I have to do my first ever puncture this morning on my bike...nightmare...did it but it was as straightforward as I thought it was going to be. To be fair it isn't complicated just fiddly...still at least I'll have some idea of what to do when it happens again!
ET7
21/08/2012 at 12:30

Loads of Tri's round our way Budgie

Have a look on TriAnglias website, events page

http://www.tri-anglia.co.uk/events

21/08/2012 at 12:30

The first rule of p*nct*re avoidance is: You do not talk about p*nct*res.
The second rule of p*nct*re avoidance is: You do not talk about p*nct*res.

I'm on 3 from my last 5 rides. That's a shitty streak to disgrace the most decrepit tramp's underpants .

Lush chippy in Bala. Ditch the angling Nursey. You can't call that sport.

Tired Badger    pirate
21/08/2012 at 12:49

Just know i should't be responding to this:

slowerthanilook wrote (see)

The first rule of p*nct*re avoidance is: You do not talk about p*nct*res.
The second rule of p*nct*re avoidance is: You do not talk about p*nct*res.

I'm on 3 from my last 5 rides. That's a shitty streak to disgrace the most decrepit tramp's underpants

That is really bad luck

I haven't had a puncture this year yet, i'm quite hoping it happens on a training ride soon rather than during a race.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.