Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

5,841 to 5,860 of 10,139 messages
Rafiki    pirate
25/09/2012 at 15:06

that could be a plan! It may well be tabled at the Crimbo party when peoples be drunk!!

ET7
25/09/2012 at 15:39
I've just had a text from those ice one step beyond people saying the outlaw half will be on the 2nd June at the national water sports centre...entries open soon!
There you go!
ET7
25/09/2012 at 15:59
M...eldy wrote (see)
Southern Snail wrote (see)

Well 2nd June for those wanting to do half an outlaw.

PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

splat there is a rumour that there will be a half outlaw next year

*lurks* really ????

The clues are all there  

Oi you 

OK - so I'm having a bad brain day

It's a bally long way for a half.......but time wise it works for me........mmm guess I shall ponder a bit........

25/09/2012 at 20:16

just managed to keep up

well done everyone for the weekend races

splat - I am in Notts, in Southwell

I didn't get the text about the half outlaw, but am thinking of doing it. Very close to me, and I want to do a HIM. PLanning on the full boar one at Bosworth, but that doesn't mean I can't go a half outlaw as well

M...eldy    pirate
25/09/2012 at 20:18

The price for the 1/2 an Outlaw is a tad on the pricey side?    I shall be over my A race by then so not on the plan for me

WildWill    pirate
25/09/2012 at 20:37
Evening all

Could not get into the right mindset for tonites training ... First time for ages ... To much on mind ... So just a short session

Did

LUNCH
- 45min trail run with focus on cadence

PM
- 30min spin
- 30min row
- 30min x-train
26/09/2012 at 08:50

Thanks for the heads up on the Robin Hood Cake. The university lake hill looks particularly unpleasant. I've had a run of bad luck leading up including a pulled calf and now a nasty bug. I may well be crawling...

I'll be at the Outlaw - full and half, but probably spectating. Seems a bit premature to book on a half IM before a triathlon of any sort. Once I can do 30 or 60 lengths of front crawl in my lessons I should probably see what's around. 

Of those who learned front crawl specifically to do triathlons - how long did it take to build distance? Say - from nothing to 60 lengths of a pool?

WildWill    pirate
26/09/2012 at 08:55

Splatfink

I helped a mate train for his first IM ... when he entered he could not swim a length front crawl 

26/09/2012 at 09:54

That's great! How long before he could swim 1.5k - and how many hours per week did he put in at the pool?

26/09/2012 at 10:01

Splatfink - bite the bullett.

I haven't done a tri before either but am enrolled for 2012 Outlaw full in July next year so that gives me 9 months to get upto scratch or close enough anyway.

Haven't swum for years but was surprised how quickly it improves to start with at least.  I try to get in the pool about 2 or 3 times a week at the moment to do drills and increase stamina - oh, and practice breathing which is my biggest problem.  3 weeks ago i couldnt swim 2 lengths without gasping for breath now i do sets of 10 lengths before i stop for a quick breather. its not great but its a definitie improvement.

26/09/2012 at 11:02

Well done Dodger - that's great news - and inspiring! I'm still not convinced yet though.. 

WildWill    pirate
26/09/2012 at 11:21
Splatfink wrote (see)

That's great! How long before he could swim 1.5k - and how many hours per week did he put in at the pool?

He trained with me for 1 hour per week witch rose to 2.5 in open water season

Plus a couple of 1 hour sessions on his own

I only allowed him to swim front crawl 

26/09/2012 at 11:26

splat - I only started doing front crawl in about April of this year. I am still slow, but can do 400m in about 11 or 12 minutes. At the moment I am only doing a couple of sessions a week - one of those is with a tri club. In the school holidays I tend to get more time to swim.

26/09/2012 at 11:44

Bloody Hell Mathschick - that's amazing! I timed my first 25 meter front crawl at about 40 seconds - about the same as my breaststroke - plenty to improve on. What triclub did you join? I had a look at absolutetri as they do spin and swim sessions at a nearby leisure centre. Its proving tough to find an open water session that doesn't conflict with my working hours though (evenings and saturdays). I'm not too worried about that yet - I'll worry in spring.

Wildwill - I hope I improve at the same rate as your friend. That's a huge gain.

26/09/2012 at 12:32
Is their enough time between half outlaw and full outlaw to make a decent go at both?

Hi spaltfink. Nail down the event and youll make time to train and this complete it ! Nothing like a deadline to drive action. I am going from 298lb couch to outlaw in the next 9 months or so. I can just about run 2.5 miles without a rest bike about 15 before collapse and swim? 200 before being recued. Adding 10% or so a week to those numbers should see me victorious -)
26/09/2012 at 13:38

Go SgtLard! That's incredible.

I'm almost convinced Cake...but still not quite. The last time I cycled 100 miles was when I was 21. I went from Nottingham to Liverpool over the peaks on a 3/4 size BMX with a tent. I did it in 4 days. 40mi day 1, 40mi day 2, a day off and then 20mi on day 4. My commute is 10 miles each way. It takes me an hour to cycle - for some reason I go twice as fast on the bike at the gym. Most recently I cycled 30mi in a day taking 3:40h. I'm enjoying my running but I'm getting significantly slower as I increase distance - from 10.5m per mile at 5k to 13-15m per mile on my last run coming back from 3 weeks out with a calf injury. I average 11 - 12 mins over 5 miles. I know I can improve significantly - I'm just not sure how quickly...

26/09/2012 at 14:04
Swam a mile when i was 21 - no training, just for charity and not too impress a fit bird i was stalking at the time

Biked 10m and 25m timetrials on k6 - even got a 3rd cat license and raced for halfa lap - not fun being dropped by the grey haired club and the women whilst desperatley not trying to crash at 40kph and take tem all out

Never got into running as i had learned to drive and bought a car. Still 20+ yrs later..

..aiming at outlaw 2013 then iron half and full ironman 2014 then iron europe - somewhere hot & windy. So on the way to outlaw will be a first aquathon, a first half marathon, a first olympic dist tri a first half iron and a first full iron. And a return to 14st buff (but now bald) body . The rest will drop into place in 12 months time, post outlaw and pre kit investment ( i deserve a flash bike after delivering 100lbs of lard and an outlaw t shirt before im 47. )

Oh, and I only started training back in mid august after months of talking about it. Havent told the wife the big plan yet- just getting fit dear
26/09/2012 at 14:12

splat - I joined GI Tri after meeting a couple of the coaches at a novice training day (I went to the novice training day as a result of entering a tri run by onestepbeyond (who do the outlaw and other tris)) and they encouraged me to join - they are very friendly to beginners and have taken me from not being able to do fc at all in april to being able to do it slowly now. where in notts are you based? I have met a few people from Mansfield Tri who seem nice.

26/09/2012 at 14:50

I live near Newstead Abbey. My work is in Nottingham though.

SgtLard - I take my straw cowboy hat off to you and your plans!

26/09/2012 at 15:21
Just my personnal big hairy arsed goals (bhag) splat. Imroughly folowing a prefink - the hard part is training so i focus 1 day at a time
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.