Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

5,861 to 5,880 of 10,128 messages
26/09/2012 at 21:08

I bashed one out tonight . 6 mile run in 44mins. Wanted to get the legs moving a little after all the base bike and swim work towards Sunday`s first tri. A windy 18.5 miles on the bike last night, got up at 6am, it was lashing it down, went back to bed with my `i`ll do it later` hat on. 

IronCat5    pirate
26/09/2012 at 21:08

Nothing today. Was going to swim, but couldn't be arsed! Have just realised I won't swim Friday night as Mrs is out.

Turboing tomorrow.

Racing sunday at the Dorney relays. Last OW of the year. Brrr! The 5km at the end will be my first for 1.5 weeks. I'll know if my ankle has recovered OK on Sunday.

Edited: 26/09/2012 at 21:12
26/09/2012 at 21:18

Cat,

I`m doing the Oly at Dorney on Sunday. I`ll look out for you.  I`ll be the one stressing over everything.

IronCat5    pirate
26/09/2012 at 21:21

Look forward to seeing you DOM. I don't have club tri kit so may pirate up, and I think the weather with require the v warm pirate jacket.

Are you local to Dorney?

26/09/2012 at 21:30

Not local. I live in Worthing, West Sussex.  I will look out for the Pirate kit.

ET7
27/09/2012 at 08:20
Splatfink..I hadn't done a triathlon of any distance before entering the outlaw and I've only just completed my first sprint distance.

Ihad swimming lessons on June and now I can comfortably swim FC for an hour but its all about techinque so you want to be getting it right..you don't want to be doing length after length with poor techinque.

I've not found the cycling too hard just build it up slowly and youllbe fine.
ET7
27/09/2012 at 12:38

grrrrrrrr

had to visit the quack today as i was up half the night with bad knee pain.

Turns out i have Ilio Tibial Friction band syndrome (runners knee). Apparently no more running, swimming or cycling for me for the next couple of weeks.

Someone suggested i get a foam roller to massage the muscle. Already doing the RICE business. Any other advice so i can be back on the bike asap please?

Norwich half marathon in November so need it sorted before then

Rafiki    pirate
27/09/2012 at 12:44

SD - Cake's right - a couple of weeks off may well heal it this time - but you need to find out what caused it, so it doesn't flare up again. A physio or decent sports masseuse should be able to help. I had the same thing with Achille's  tendonitis until I got the root of the problem.

27/09/2012 at 14:47

SD - I saw a physio about mine this winter & it's all fine now (presented as back pain).  He recommended the foam roller which hurts like a good 'un but does the business.

Also, do some ITB, hip flexor, quad & hamstring stretches a couple of times a week to strengthen the area around the ITB.

Didn't stop me exercising though - I never listen to advice from people who tell me that!

M...eldy    pirate
27/09/2012 at 17:21

What Gavo said ....

Not sure it would restrict cycling tho ??   Certainly wouldnt hurt to do some light spinning IMO

As you were plebs 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
27/09/2012 at 17:39

What gadget do I need to monitor my cadence on the bike? My wee Cateye doesn't seem to do it. Can I get something that will work with my Garmin? 

27/09/2012 at 17:46

Would this work with yours Nursey?

M...eldy    pirate
27/09/2012 at 17:46

Yes you  can ... what Garmin do you have?

I have a seperate on mine a Cateye Astrale I think ... perfect little gadget for very little pennies and I picked a wireles one up on ebay I think

Running Postie    pirate
27/09/2012 at 17:55
Splatfink wrote (see)

Of those who learned front crawl specifically to do triathlons - how long did it take to build distance? Say - from nothing to 60 lengths of a pool?

I went from swimming 400m to 3.8km in 8 weeks, training 3x per week, 2x 1hr session and the third a long session. (I could swim FC but badely) invest in the swim smooth book!

SausageDog wrote (see)

Turns out i have Ilio Tibial Friction band syndrome (runners knee). Apparently no more running, swimming or cycling for me for the next couple of weeks.

Someone suggested i get a foam roller to massage the muscle. Already doing the RICE business. Any other advice so i can be back on the bike asap please?

Norwich half marathon in November so need it sorted before then

as already posted, go see a sports physio who will help stretch you ITB and your recovery will be quite quick. Get the physio to show you some stretches to help prevent it coming back. I would keep training though, make the most of the time and improve you swimming  

Nurse Ratched    pirate
27/09/2012 at 18:07

I have a 405

I now can't decide whether to replace my bike computer, or buy the Garmin cadence monitor.

Wired or wireless computer? Are the wires a faff? 

Rafiki    pirate
27/09/2012 at 18:32

you could alway try counting Nursey?? You must have one of those upside down watches - would do the job a treat!

M...eldy    pirate
27/09/2012 at 18:43

Wireless Nursey .. very little difference in price, big difference in faffage

27/09/2012 at 18:59
Thanks all. Doctor said dont do anything that is repetitive on the knee, such as the cycling.

Bought a foam roller today, jeez using it's more painfull than the knee pain, lol

Ive never had the issue cycling before. I'm really slack at stretching which i doubt has helped. Ive also never cycled as far as last week.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
27/09/2012 at 19:39
Rafiki wrote (see)

you could alway try counting Nursey?? You must have one of those upside down watches - would do the job a treat!

Me, count? I carry an epipen in case someone asks me to do mental arithmetic.

But yes, I do have an upside-down watch.  Fits with my general view on life 

SD, hope you get better soon.

M...eldy    pirate
27/09/2012 at 20:11

I have an upside down life 

I swam for the first time in a few weeks today and someone had replaced the water with treacle

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.