Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

5,881 to 5,900 of 10,128 messages
27/09/2012 at 21:52

ET7 and Postie - I've downloaded swim smooth and also be iron fit - recommended earlier in this thread - thanks for the advice. Loving my swimming at the moment. Had a breakthrough with the stroke after I started using a noseclip at my second lesson on Saturday. It's making sense and flowing naturally as it should. I bet the resistance training has helped with my arm strength too.

SD - sorry to hear about your injury. I've been unable to run for 3 weeks with a pulled calf - it's horrible to have training interrupted when you're enjoying it so much. Been coping by doing swimming, cycling and gym instead.

Incidentally - pool etiquette. At the early today seven women swam side by side so they could chat to one another.. it always seems to be me that zig-zags about around people. I had to swim under them at one point as they make no effort to move aside for anyone. Anyone else have trouble finding space to practice?

IronCat5    pirate
27/09/2012 at 21:55

Hour on the turbot tonight. Ankle 'dull', so good for a fast 5km run on Saturday

Thought the turbo workout was hard, and struggled to hit the targets but did my best. Found out it was set to #5 not #4 I bet the kids had been fiddling with it. Grrr.

SD, masseuses(sp?) always tell me I had tight ITB, and I have had some issues on long runs (20mi +), and at the end of long hard rides. Other than that it's all good. And yes, a foam roller really hurts. Like a turbo it does you good. Hope you recover well.

As others have suggested, take some time off from running and cycling and get swimming cracked.

Nursey, that sensor does the job nicely. Decathlon also do something similar.

IronCat5    pirate
27/09/2012 at 22:04
Splatfink wrote (see)
Incidentally - pool etiquette. At the early today seven women swam side by side so they could chat to one another.. it always seems to be me that zig-zags about around people. I had to swim under them at one point as they make no effort to move aside for anyone. Anyone else have trouble finding space to practice?

Hi Splat, this is where you get to tap their toes and swim fast making lots of splashing .

Is this during a lane session? If not, go to a lane session. My local pool got a but lumpy during the summer, but when the regulars turn up the fast lane empties fairly rapidly.

27/09/2012 at 22:12

I'll be trying a different leisure centre tomorrow Cat - it's a bit tricky finding pool sessions that run outside my working hours - but I will try a lane swim at some point. 

Anyone tempted by the new garmin swim watch? I'm a sucker for a gadget.

Also - anyone got any books on cycling/cycle training they can recommend?

M...eldy    pirate
27/09/2012 at 22:23

I get most of my bike stuff from any of the Fink/Friel books I have, I also get various email updates from the likes of 220 and Tri Europe, cant say that I have found the need for a seperate bike one?  Depends what you want I spose ...

Swim tomorrow if  I can force myself out of bed

IronCat5    pirate
27/09/2012 at 22:24

I am tempted by the Garmin swim, but happy to continue using my Sportcount.

Can you swim at lunch? Most pools do a lane swim in the morning, and some in the evening too. I guess it depends on the work hours.

Cycling wise, just get out there and do it. Build up the distance. I got some from the library when I started running and wanted to cross-train. Fink has some info but it's all based about going looooong.

27/09/2012 at 22:45

SD,

I may not be experienced in tri`s, but have very good knowledge in general conditioning and sports injuries. I KNOW i am right in this observation:-  you have done an awful lot lately (Half IM, relays, 100mile cycles 3 days on the bounce), very close together with little rest after each. Your body needs time to recover, not muscles, they recovery quickly, but central nervous system and tendons need more time. Take a week off and then an easy week (50% volume).  You will be stronger after.  You may not want to, but it IS what you need. Trust me.

27/09/2012 at 22:47

Splat just stick your head in the water and don't look where your going, they soon learn to get out of the way, they can see you coming , worked for me anyway. 

Cat is your ankle problem a sprain or something else?

27/09/2012 at 22:49

Oh and,

Wicked coached swim session tonight. Warm up, drills, intervals (2 x 100m, 3 x 75m, 6 x 50m, 8 x 25m building in intensity/speed) warm down. 

Bike tomorrow morning then rest til Sunday`s Tri.

27/09/2012 at 22:51

SD if you want a bit more pain, I have one of these. It lets you get right into any knots in the muscle. Hurts like a bitch though, but in a good way 

28/09/2012 at 06:08

WTF!  After the last couple of swim sessions in the pool, I`ve had the sneezes, then runny nose. A bit like hayfever.     A reaction to the chlorine?  Anyone else get this and any solutions.  Nose clip?

28/09/2012 at 07:24
Thanks DoM. I will rest for a week or so. Promise.
seren nos yn canu    pirate
28/09/2012 at 07:46

Nose clip should do it DoM

ET7
28/09/2012 at 08:07
DOM..I get the sneezes too...but doesn't last for too long though...must be chlorine but I don't fancy a nose clip..surely it affects your breathing?
ET7
IronCat5    pirate
28/09/2012 at 08:18

A sprain BBT. Fell in to a rabbit hole

Luckily it didn't go a funny colour, but it hurt to walk on, and clicks.

purpletrilady    pirate
28/09/2012 at 08:24

I used to get  the sneezes really bad, and wore a nose clip for about a year. Without it, I would be so blocked up I wouldn't be able sleep the night after a swim.

I tried everything but the only thing that worked was a nose clip.

Its not as bad now, my body must have adjusted

Tired Badger    pirate
28/09/2012 at 08:40

Cat, this sounds strangely familiar

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Mine did go a funny colour, not too bad though its happend before and been a lot lot worse, bruised on either side of the ankle and really purple The clicks thing.......... is that my ankle still saying it doesn't want to play?

Planning my last run tonight 15m very easy pace before Marafun next weekend. Then I was just going to do a short 3 miler on Wed. No cross training next week, I'm going to go mad. I Do think I'm ready for my 3:45 A race target though.

2k OW swim last night, still not too cold. Told to work on my body roll and reach, I don't roll enough on my non breathing stroke apparently. Counted strokes between a 50meter marker, forgot about sighting and ended up about 10 meters to the right of the marker I was swimming to. I just can't multi task.

WildWill    pirate
28/09/2012 at 09:18

Morning all

Bad new on this weeks weekly weigh in ... I gained for the first time  ... +2lb ... but i new i'd been picking at junk due to work stress ... need to sort that 

28/09/2012 at 10:20
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I have a good (2 actually) ankle support your welcome to borrow if you want, its a lace up one (not one of the crap neoprene ones) which holds your ankle firmly so there is no risk of going over on it again.

28/09/2012 at 16:41

Purpletrilady,

Bingo!  Exactly that. Totally bunged up still. Just ordered a nose clip.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.