Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

5,901 to 5,920 of 10,128 messages
28/09/2012 at 16:54
Dreaming Of Magic wrote (see)

WTF!  After the last couple of swim sessions in the pool, I`ve had the sneezes, then runny nose. A bit like hayfever.     A reaction to the chlorine?  Anyone else get this and any solutions.  Nose clip?

Massively bunged-up after any hard swim session. Usually have to "sleep" in the spare room as a result and it takes a couple of days to calm down. Oddly enough, it's never afflicated me in a race but gets me in every long training sesh. Maybe you just need to go ride 112 miles after each swim set to flush your system?

28/09/2012 at 17:21
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

WTF!  After the last couple of swim sessions in the pool, I`ve had the sneezes, then runny nose. A bit like hayfever.     A reaction to the chlorine?  Anyone else get this and any solutions.  Nose clip?

Massively bunged-up after any hard swim session. Usually have to "sleep" in the spare room as a result and it takes a couple of days to calm down. Oddly enough, it's never afflicated me in a race but gets me in every long training sesh. Maybe you just need to go ride 112 miles after each swim set to flush your system?

happens to me too. A nose clip works but I find it uncomfortable and it does mess up your breathng a bit. A snort of beconase after swimming does the trick

28/09/2012 at 20:14

I had the same problem a nightmare, runny nose, sneezing, couldn't sleep until someone advised me to try BECONASE a hayfever relief spray. You can get it from Boots or other chemists, I stumbled across it in Tesco. A couple of squirts up each nostril an hour or so prior to the swim and it works a treat. I have suffered no further symptoms as described.     

28/09/2012 at 21:41

Thanks everyone. I am a hayfever sufferer and Beconase is my weapon of choice, so I know how good it is. Have had a few squirts. Never thought I`d be using it in this capacity.

Tommygun2    pirate
29/09/2012 at 08:44

So is this the place to post about Outlaws or do I stick to the outlaws 2013 thread. I am also in the a Fat man to Ironman camp. Need to lose 1.5 to 2 stone to get to a decent racing weight.

I have the fink book but will probably just do my own schedule as my weakess is swimming so wil do loads of that and loads of the bike. the running bit is what I do and have a good running base.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
29/09/2012 at 09:40

Hi Tommygun, and welcome

You can be a double agent and post on both threads   .  I take it you've got a place at Outlaw.

29/09/2012 at 11:14
Sounds like your in the right place Tommy. Always keen to read about others ironman journeys & the inevitable weight loss tha goes with it.

Few of us are now signed up to our first Ironman events next year. Would tell you who they are but Gas seems to have dropped the ball where the list is concerned

I'm currently injured so being good and having a couple of weeks off.

Bit of a bonus. Norwich half marathon is 25th November not the 4th that i thought so gives me a few extra weeks to train for it.

Foam roller & stretching is certainly helping the ITB injury. I will definitely be trying to use it on a daily basis going forward.
29/09/2012 at 11:50
Im looking forward to signing up for half outlaw whilst waiting for dropouts in the full outlaw . Damn it, im doing both and hang the consequences, assuming 12 drop out sometime soon.

Wifes bday tomorrow so im dodging the look of death to fit in my 60+ bike today and my 75 run tomorrow. Thank god for oh my god oclock - should let me squeeze one of the sessions in before monday. Monday restday will score the missing session
Tommygun2    pirate
29/09/2012 at 11:53

Sorry to hear you are injured SD

My weight loss plan involves me not drinking any beer or going to the pub untill I have run the Beachy Head marathon on the 27th October....two weeks so far and I feel much better for it...I have also done 5 weeks of bootcamp which, although quite sceptical to begin with, does seem to be making quite a difference.

29/09/2012 at 12:34
Thanks for the reminder SD. I must enter Norwich Half....
29/09/2012 at 13:36
So then. Following a recent collar bone break, I've now gone and rolled an ankle which (confirmed via a few X Rays and an MRI) has left me with a bit of bone floating around the joint.

Surgery beckons in November and with it a 6 or so week recovery period.

Bother.
29/09/2012 at 13:50
Well done spoons, I'll probably need someone to carry me
29/09/2012 at 13:53
Jeez, this should be renamed the casualty thread. Bad luck ID, hope it dosent take you 6 weeks to recover. I'm less than a week & its doing my head in already.

Went up the allotment and did some digging earlier so i guess that can count as a bit of a workout
29/09/2012 at 15:34

Bad luck ID that sounds rubbish

SD - I would carry you but with my bad back etc etc.....

29/09/2012 at 16:07

Beautiful day for the last tri of the season.

Add me to the list SD, achilles has flared up after today's tri, hopefully will be ok after a couple of days rest. It WiILL be fine in 2 weeks for Cardiff half .

Possibly aggravated because my trainers are in a state and have probably done 1000+ miles, so have bought so shiny new ones 

Race report to follow

Running Postie    pirate
29/09/2012 at 17:15

beconase and nose clip are the weapon of choice for me too.

29/09/2012 at 19:23
I'll be fine The odd thing is that the surgeon and the physio have both said I could still run, ride and swim without too much trouble as long as the bone fragment doesn't get stuck into anything significant. Well that's a ticking time bomb so I might as well get it treated and get back into things knowing in the long run I will be ok.

Anyway.

Am back on Guernsey for a few days and am planning on looking over parts of the course for next Septembers half IM distance. All things being equal I will be back running in the New Year and as long as I keep things nice and easy I will be fit and injury free come the day.

I will however give the open sea swim a miss as I'm without a wet suit and the sea water is freezing. I had a quick paddle this afternoon while stuffing my face with a Cornetto.

As I type I'm about to crack open an average bottle of red. Empty calories a go go...
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
29/09/2012 at 19:34
Sorry to hear about everyone's injuries! Hope you all feel better soon

Nice bottle of red sounds good!

Nurse am I allowed to drink with my medication?
M...eldy    pirate
29/09/2012 at 19:45

No.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
29/09/2012 at 19:52
You're a polite offer not a nursey....

Starry drinking anwayz
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.