5,941 to 5,960 of 10,137 messages
Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/09/2012 at 14:56

Good effort IY.  Headache?

30/09/2012 at 16:04

Weekly update, not very exciting

http://clearseaz-timetogetfit.blogspot.co.uk/

30/09/2012 at 16:39

No headache, Nursey! Only bourbon that's aged less than 2 years gives you a headache and we had some top-shelf stuff at each stop!

Britrisky    pirate
30/09/2012 at 16:44
I echo MC about weight. I've barely lost half a stone this year but so many have commented on how my shape has changed. (Doesn't stop me wanting to be lighter, though!!)
Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/09/2012 at 16:52

I'm considering buying a foam roller. Those of you who have one - how often do you use it? And can you point me to a good YouTube vid to show me how to use it?

M...eldy    pirate
30/09/2012 at 17:44
Southern Snail wrote (see)

So is 6 weeks enough time between half and full ironman? Thinking of doing Outlaw half. And are there cut off times for the half? Would really boost my confidence re cycling and swimming somewhere I've never been before. Good luck to those racing today. Nice morning for it. (Well here anyway!)

Plenty of time

Nursey - they are a good bit of kit as long as you have the right one ...
I think I have a Youtube whatsit somewhere I can send you

M...eldy    pirate
30/09/2012 at 17:44

Been out with the 'oss this afternoon which is a perfect antidote to night shifts

3 days off now 

FoC
30/09/2012 at 18:11
NR - I highly recommend the RumbleRoller whose use I put down to getting rid (fingers crossed) of a few ITB issues. Comes with a good "how to" guide.

http://www.lansonrunning.com/rumbleroller-original?___SID=U

(Sorry, can't seem to embed links on the tablet I'm using)
30/09/2012 at 18:39

Can I join in here? About 6 months ago I decided to give Henley Half a go next year and since then I've lost about a stone and a half doing lots of cycling and swimming (always done that), getting into running and having a little break for a hernia op. I went and watched at Henley a couple of weeks ago to see what it was like and really regretted not being in it - consequently, having spoken to a few people, I've been told I could do the whole thing - so I'll be signing up for the full thing next year when it opens next week. 

Today I've swum 4km in the pool (for the first time ever), ran 12 miles and had a bit of a bike ride and currently I feel fine - tired but fine. I could do more if I had to but I ran out of time.

Lots & lots more training to come though!

30/09/2012 at 18:44

My first Tri - Race Report.

Dorney Lake Standard Distance.

So, seven weeks after jumping on my MTB after watching Wiggo (changed to road bike 4 weeks ago) and five weeks after jumping in a pool, today I did my first Tri.  Firstly, a big thank you to all have given advice and answered my many questions (a few more to follow ).

Swim - The one I was concerned about as I had only done 11 swim sessions and my max distance was 375m in one go.  Water - COLD!  Mass start - not to bad.  Just tried to swim smoothly and make the end - time 38:25mins.

T1 - Ha ha. Trying to stand up out of the water when you can only fall to your left made T1 a bit tricky. Took 3-4 goes to stand. Fell off the concrete ramp (whilst in water) on second go. Out of water, hold onto railings to stop falling over (i`m not joking) felt drunk, no balance, legs would not obae me. Had to walk to my bike. Got everything done ok, but whilst holding onto racking. Again, had to walk with bike to mount line as still on not responsive legs. Time - 5:06mins 

Bike - I loved this bit. Felt like I was chasing down the field. A bit windy but ok. Consistantly zooming past people and felt good. 8 x 5km (ish) laps. Got faster and faster for first 5 laps, then a slight (10secs per mile) tail off due to taking on 2 gels and drinking more. My Garmin made it 43km, organisers quoting 42.4km on website. Time - 1hr 24:16mins (19mph).

T2 - Feet out of shoes as I got to the dismount line, jogged with bike (had socks on), feet completely numb. No drama`s other than number ripped off one safety pin, re-pinned and off. Time - 1:27mins

Run - Legs felt stiff, heavy and slow. After 3 mins looked at garmin and was surprised to see i was going along at 7:20 per mile (felt like 8:30). I was consistant at 7:30 per mile and was going past dozens of people. Took 3 miles to get feeling back in feet, 4th mile with pins and needles, last 2miles feet back to normal. Left hamstring was twitching (wanted to cramp) after 3.5 miles but kept it at bay. A strong steady run but no fireworks. My Garmin made it 6.00 miles, organisers website quoted 10km, so I reckon it was a little short. Time - 45:16mins

Total time - 2hr 54:32mins / Position 244th of 390.

Totally chuffed to have swam 1500m front crawl with no stops. When I entered I was prepared to breastroke it. I gained a lot of knowledge from today which puts me in in good stead for next season.

Any ideas as to the cause of the drunkeness out of the water?  I`m thinking, not using legs enough and blood pooling in upper body. Water in ears (mainly left as I breath to the left) may be a slight reason. 

Magic.

30/09/2012 at 18:52

Also, have to say. It was a VOTWO event and the organisation was spot on (no point of reference though). I would do one of their events again. Nice goody bag too, t-shirt, bottle and a few USN suppliments to try.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/09/2012 at 18:52

It's a fairly common phenomenon, it has to do with being horizontal while swimming and then vertical when you stand up, causing the blood to drain from your brain.

IronCat5    pirate
30/09/2012 at 19:03

Sound like a good race DOM.

Drunkeness caused by being horizontal and then moving to vertical with all the blood falling south. Kick hard before the end next time.

You were lucky. I raced the day before, and when we arrived the bike road was covered in mud, and the sweeper had not been. The sweeper did arrived, but the bike leg was cancelled.

30/09/2012 at 19:03

DOM - well done on your first tri and some excellent times there

the drunkenness out of the water is pretty common, not sure how to overcome it.....

Running Postie    pirate
30/09/2012 at 19:08

DOM well done

30/09/2012 at 19:15
Welcome CC
Well done Dom

Nurse, i put a You Tube link in my latest blog which shows how to use the roller.

Ive used it twice a day since Thursday, definitely making a difference. Still hurts like a bugger though
ET7
30/09/2012 at 19:23
Good times magic! I did my second sprint distance today and knocked 15 mins off my time..well chuffed!
Need to work on my swim time though..I'm just so slow..still plenty of time to speed up..took me 12 mins to swim 400 m!
ET7
30/09/2012 at 22:12
Welcome cheggers,
DOM, I've not tested it yet but when I posted about the same problem someone suggested ear plugs would help.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/09/2012 at 23:29
M...eldy wrote (see)

Nursey - they are a good bit of kit as long as you have the right one 

And which one would that be?

01/10/2012 at 04:30

Completed my first ever race - the robin hood half marathon yesterday! My goal was to complete the course without walking - which I did in 2:37. Feels good to have passed a milestone. Especially relieved that my cold and calf pull seemed fully recovered. Now back to my fink and swim smooth books to plan my next bit of training. Need to get quicker at everything - I'm also still a stone heavier than I'd like. BTW have enjoyed catching up on all the posts I missed over the last few days. Congratulations to everyone completing events aand commiserations to everyone struggling with injuries. Happy to be sharing your journeys with you!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.