Another Ironman journey

5,961 to 5,980 of 10,137 messages
01/10/2012 at 06:18

congrats splatfink

01/10/2012 at 06:26
Well done splatfink!
01/10/2012 at 07:22
Well done ET, well done Splat.

Thats my half marathon goal in November, just complete it without walking. I had to walk a lot of the run in the half IM i did.
01/10/2012 at 07:35

ET and splat - well done

IronCat5    pirate
01/10/2012 at 09:11

Nice one Splat.

After only 1 test run in the past 4 weeks I was worrying about the 5km at the end of the relay tri. With vast amounts of tape and hiding behind someone on the in to wind leg at Dorney I came in 35s behind my 5km PB. Not too shabby.

A nice windy bike yesterday to make up for the lack of bike Sat. I ache all over though. It feels like I ran a HM, not a 5km!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/10/2012 at 09:20

Welcome Cheggers

DOM - you're a dark horse , cracking times, very well done

Congrats ET and Splat.

Glad to hear the leg hasn't gone black and dropped off, Cat5. Good running.

01/10/2012 at 10:17
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I'm considering buying a foam roller. Those of you who have one - how often do you use it? And can you point me to a good YouTube vid to show me how to use it?

NR - I got a triggerpoint roller off Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Grid-Foam-Roller-Black/dp/B003HSDX92/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349082939&sr=8-2

it's a 'lot' harder than the ones in the gym. been using it for about a month now on legs and back. seems to have loosened up the muscles but still hurts on lats and outside the thighs...

01/10/2012 at 12:22

Well done DOM, ET and Splat.

Welcome aboard Cheggers.

Race report for Saturday

Event Gower oly tri

Spent Friday evening getting everything ready and putting my bike in the car for an early start on Sat morning, the plan was to get up at 5:10 so that I would have plenty of time to get ready and drive the 1:30 down to the race and would have plenty of time to relax when I got there and set up my stuff in transition. Well that was the plan. Set my alarm to go for5:10then bed. Couldn’t get to sleep that night, insomnia was being a right pain, looked at the clock and it said 3:00, should have got up then, but managed to fall asleep, next thing I know looked at the clock and it was 6:40……. @*$;, O @*$;, O @*$;. Jumped out of bed get tri kit on and out the house, jumped straight in the car and set off, all the way down thinking o damn I’m going to miss the start. Luckily I popped in to Tescos the night before and bought some croissants and apples, so had breakfast on the move. Luckily traffic was light, so managed to get there in about 50 mins, just before they shut transition and when the compulsory race briefing was going on, I could just about hear one or two words he was saying over the PA. Jumped out the car, got bike out, put the wheel on (an F1 team would have been impressed with how quick the wheel went on, even remembered to tighten the breaks J), and grabbed my transition box and ran over to set up transition, I had about 5 minutes to pump my tyre up and get sorted, still wearing jeans so and a hoodie, so it all went in the box, all in all my transition area was a mess but I had managed to get there for the start so was happy, I left transition in a mess as the swim was about to start got my wettie on and headed over to the start.

Swim - 26:52

This was my first OW race and mass start, so had no expectation for the swim and just wanted to do it. I started mid pack on the inside of the field and was surprised at how few people there were on the inside, the course was 2 laps, the swim went without incident,  spent the whole time thinking about what I had to do in T1, having not set anything up properly.

First lap was12:39second14:13so total 26:52. Time was way faster than I expected and faster than I had done in the pool before.

T1 –6:13

After a short run up from the swim, got out of the wettie easy enough, then the hard part started, finding everything I needed for the bike, my transition box was a mess, with 3 pairs of footwear in, jeans, a t-shirt, a hoodie, a track pump, finding my gloves etc took a few minutes, eventually managed to get sorted and ran out of T1 in – 6:13. I knew this was slow, looking at the number of bikes still racked I came into T1 with 2 thirds of the bikes still racked and left with less than 1 third racked.

01/10/2012 at 12:23

Bike –1:16:55, avg speed 17.77.

I had a bit of time to make up after T1, I had driven the bike course before so knew that the first 5/6 miles was almost all up hill before flattening out for 10 miles and then 5 miles of mainly down hill. The hills went great, I managed to catch a lot of people on he hills, all the time staying seated too, after the hills started to feel a little low on energy, but had put a few jaffer cakes and a welsh cake in the tri bag, so got those down me and started to feel good again. Pushed on a bit more on the flat, still over taking a lot of people. Slowed down on one of the ascents to check that another rider was ok after he was wobbling a little on the climb and spewing a lot, he said that he was fine and to carry on. Luckily it was a beautiful day and there was no wind, it would have been a nightmare of a course if there was any wind because it was so open.

T2 – 1:54

Into T2 racked bike, everything out of transition box, find trainers, everything back into transition box and out.

Run – 46:28.7:41per mile

For some reason I thought that the run would be flat, so pushed a little harder on the bike, how wrong could I be!! The run was half a mile along the sand on the beech before ¾ of a mile up and ¾ of a mile down to finish one loop, and then do the same again. To get down to the hard sand on the beech you had to run through soft sand which was quite draining and slowed the pace down quite a bit, but I was feeling strong and managed to push a bit on the harder sand, the up hill on the first lap went well, still overtaking a lot of people, but I got over taken by one runner and that annoyed me a bit, but I couldn’t keep up with him so let him go. By the end of the first lap, my achilles was starting to flare, and there was a bit of pain with every stride, so I eased up on the pace quite a bit for the second lap, the pain got better but with my A race in 2 weeks I kept an easy pace for the rest of the run.

Total time:2:38:22

01/10/2012 at 12:23

The lack of a proper breakfast meant I was a little hungry now, so into the chippie for lunch 

Overall was very happy with the race, especially considering when I woke up in the morning I had thought that there was no way that I would be on the starting line up.

Quite a few lessons learnt along the way too.

Firstly, find a place to stay only a few minutes from the start.

If I am still awake with only 2 hours before planned getting up time, then don’t bother going to sleep.

Always put a bit of food on the bike, even if you don’t plan on eating during the race, you never know what will happen before the race.

Don’t take your wardrobe into transition.

Don’t be late again.

I’m a better climber on the bike than I thought.

And lastly, that this is a lot of fun.

01/10/2012 at 13:00

Well done BBT

01/10/2012 at 13:56

Wow well done everyone you've all had cracking weekends. Feeling somewhat under prepared now.

But I did manage my 19 mile training run and in under 4 hrs as well so I'm a very happy bear today. I setup my own little aid station at the local bus stop which I passed 4 times which was great something to really break the route up and look forwards to. Must live in a nice area as no one pinched my bag of goodies either.

ET7
01/10/2012 at 14:12
Hey bbt..that's a really good times despite the , ahem, late start..we've all done it. I once got to a race late got out of the car ran to the start and then just carried on running as just as the race had just started..nowim ridiculously early for races as I can't stand the panic!
ET7
Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/10/2012 at 14:29

Great work BBT.

Good running Ali

i went for a small jogette yesterday, and have been swimming today. Think I'm mended, but I'll see what the physio thinks on Wednesday.

Rafiki    pirate
01/10/2012 at 14:32

Bristol Half mara yesterday - nice PB despite hangover and man flu. Think a little easy spinning this evening as my calves are a tadge tender!!

01/10/2012 at 14:32
AliBear30 wrote (see)

Wow well done everyone you've all had cracking weekends. Feeling somewhat under prepared now..

Under prepared for what, my friend? Anybody trotting out 19-milers sounds relatively prepared to me.

01/10/2012 at 14:51

Slower - Outlaw I'm not anygood at swimming and my bike is still in bit's being resrayed. Also I've only done one Sprint Tri and my times were a lot slower than the others.

I  guess I know what I've got to work on then

Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/10/2012 at 14:52
Rafiki wrote (see)

Bristol Half mara yesterday - nice PB despite hangover and man flu. Think a little easy spinning this evening as my calves are a tadge tender!!

Oooooh, hard as nails.

Well done 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.