Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

5,961 to 5,980 of 10,128 messages
01/10/2012 at 12:22

Swim - 26:52

This was my first OW race and mass start, so had no expectation for the swim and just wanted to do it. I started mid pack on the inside of the field and was surprised at how few people there were on the inside, the course was 2 laps, the swim went without incident,  spent the whole time thinking about what I had to do in T1, having not set anything up properly.

First lap was12:39second14:13so total 26:52. Time was way faster than I expected and faster than I had done in the pool before.

T1 –6:13

After a short run up from the swim, got out of the wettie easy enough, then the hard part started, finding everything I needed for the bike, my transition box was a mess, with 3 pairs of footwear in, jeans, a t-shirt, a hoodie, a track pump, finding my gloves etc took a few minutes, eventually managed to get sorted and ran out of T1 in – 6:13. I knew this was slow, looking at the number of bikes still racked I came into T1 with 2 thirds of the bikes still racked and left with less than 1 third racked.

01/10/2012 at 12:23

Bike –1:16:55, avg speed 17.77.

I had a bit of time to make up after T1, I had driven the bike course before so knew that the first 5/6 miles was almost all up hill before flattening out for 10 miles and then 5 miles of mainly down hill. The hills went great, I managed to catch a lot of people on he hills, all the time staying seated too, after the hills started to feel a little low on energy, but had put a few jaffer cakes and a welsh cake in the tri bag, so got those down me and started to feel good again. Pushed on a bit more on the flat, still over taking a lot of people. Slowed down on one of the ascents to check that another rider was ok after he was wobbling a little on the climb and spewing a lot, he said that he was fine and to carry on. Luckily it was a beautiful day and there was no wind, it would have been a nightmare of a course if there was any wind because it was so open.

T2 – 1:54

Into T2 racked bike, everything out of transition box, find trainers, everything back into transition box and out.

Run – 46:28.7:41per mile

For some reason I thought that the run would be flat, so pushed a little harder on the bike, how wrong could I be!! The run was half a mile along the sand on the beech before ¾ of a mile up and ¾ of a mile down to finish one loop, and then do the same again. To get down to the hard sand on the beech you had to run through soft sand which was quite draining and slowed the pace down quite a bit, but I was feeling strong and managed to push a bit on the harder sand, the up hill on the first lap went well, still overtaking a lot of people, but I got over taken by one runner and that annoyed me a bit, but I couldn’t keep up with him so let him go. By the end of the first lap, my achilles was starting to flare, and there was a bit of pain with every stride, so I eased up on the pace quite a bit for the second lap, the pain got better but with my A race in 2 weeks I kept an easy pace for the rest of the run.

Total time:2:38:22

01/10/2012 at 12:23

The lack of a proper breakfast meant I was a little hungry now, so into the chippie for lunch 

Overall was very happy with the race, especially considering when I woke up in the morning I had thought that there was no way that I would be on the starting line up.

Quite a few lessons learnt along the way too.

Firstly, find a place to stay only a few minutes from the start.

If I am still awake with only 2 hours before planned getting up time, then don’t bother going to sleep.

Always put a bit of food on the bike, even if you don’t plan on eating during the race, you never know what will happen before the race.

Don’t take your wardrobe into transition.

Don’t be late again.

I’m a better climber on the bike than I thought.

And lastly, that this is a lot of fun.

01/10/2012 at 13:00

Well done BBT

01/10/2012 at 13:56

Wow well done everyone you've all had cracking weekends. Feeling somewhat under prepared now.

But I did manage my 19 mile training run and in under 4 hrs as well so I'm a very happy bear today. I setup my own little aid station at the local bus stop which I passed 4 times which was great something to really break the route up and look forwards to. Must live in a nice area as no one pinched my bag of goodies either.

ET7
01/10/2012 at 14:12
Hey bbt..that's a really good times despite the , ahem, late start..we've all done it. I once got to a race late got out of the car ran to the start and then just carried on running as just as the race had just started..nowim ridiculously early for races as I can't stand the panic!
ET7
Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/10/2012 at 14:29

Great work BBT.

Good running Ali

i went for a small jogette yesterday, and have been swimming today. Think I'm mended, but I'll see what the physio thinks on Wednesday.

Rafiki    pirate
01/10/2012 at 14:32

Bristol Half mara yesterday - nice PB despite hangover and man flu. Think a little easy spinning this evening as my calves are a tadge tender!!

01/10/2012 at 14:32
AliBear30 wrote (see)

Wow well done everyone you've all had cracking weekends. Feeling somewhat under prepared now..

Under prepared for what, my friend? Anybody trotting out 19-milers sounds relatively prepared to me.

01/10/2012 at 14:51

Slower - Outlaw I'm not anygood at swimming and my bike is still in bit's being resrayed. Also I've only done one Sprint Tri and my times were a lot slower than the others.

I  guess I know what I've got to work on then

Nurse Ratched    pirate
01/10/2012 at 14:52
Rafiki wrote (see)

Bristol Half mara yesterday - nice PB despite hangover and man flu. Think a little easy spinning this evening as my calves are a tadge tender!!

Oooooh, hard as nails.

Well done 

01/10/2012 at 15:33

FFS, Bear... Outlaw is significantly more than half a year away! Chill your big furry paws. 2012 sprint times won't be worth a jar of honey by the time you roll into Nottingham next summer. Turn the majority of those 4-hour runs into 4-hour rides and you'll be fine .

I love that the first element of your winter bike training programme has been to pimp your ride with a snazzy paint job. First things first, n all that !

Edited: 01/10/2012 at 15:34
01/10/2012 at 16:04

Slower - apparently it had rust worms and bears don't do worms.

Edited: 01/10/2012 at 16:05
01/10/2012 at 17:44
Running Postie    pirate
01/10/2012 at 18:02

did a 10k yesterday, I had a eally good run considering it was soo windy and I have a cold. I so nearly peebeed...next time

M...eldy    pirate
01/10/2012 at 20:24

19 miles and worried ....  perspective my dear 

I did an hour on me 'oss, an hour in the pool, 30 mins in the gym and 30 mins on me feet
That'll do for the day !

01/10/2012 at 20:36

Well done BBT! 

IronCat5    pirate
01/10/2012 at 21:52

6km run with tri club, then hour in the pool with same. Even managed a length of fly.

Shattered now. I did add a third activity to today: run, swim, kebab. This thing is huge.

02/10/2012 at 06:56
Mmmmm kebab
Rafiki    pirate
02/10/2012 at 09:06
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)
Rafiki wrote (see)

Oooooh, hard as nails.

Well done 

Well I am from Glasgow

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 09:07
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.