Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

6,001 to 6,020 of 10,139 messages
02/10/2012 at 20:30

WW your recovery weeks are hard brutul thats why they are hard 

Been to for a sports massage today, sorted out my achillies and ITband, feels really good now, but boy did it hurt, had to  a little.

02/10/2012 at 21:34

It's taper week for me this week, slow run last night with run club 4/5 miles really slow. Sports massage booked for Thursday and thats it for the week, I reckon the madness will start tomorrow, tonight off has been bad enough

. Please Please let me get this 3:45............

Signed up for B'ham half marafun 21st Oct and Bosworth duathalon 28th Oct's a busy month before IM base starts in Nov.

BBT that was a great race, well done.

PB's all over the place the weekend, well done all.

Britrisky    pirate
02/10/2012 at 21:56
Taper for me, too. Speed session Mon, swim today, bike to work tomorrow, run Thurs (break in new trainers), then massage then chill.

Mara Sun - good luck to anyone else racing this weekend (err for me I mean participating!!)
02/10/2012 at 22:03

Which marafun you doing TB?

Good luck Brit

Nurse Ratched    pirate
03/10/2012 at 14:32

A good day for Nursey today.  Been to t'physio, and he doesn't need to see me again .

Just back from the pool, did (all front crawl) 500m, then 10x75m as 25 kick / 25 pull / 25 swim, then 250m.  38:19, so I'm happy enough with that considering how little I've done over the past few weeks.

Then I had a sauna 

03/10/2012 at 14:35

Yay great news Nursey  and great training 

03/10/2012 at 17:02
45 min steady run along the coast this morning. Tomorrow I'm determined to go out for my first open water sea swim. I'll only go for 15 or so mins to see how I go.

Good luck to those about to undertake an autumn Marathon (Amsterdam, Brussels etc etc)
M...eldy    pirate
03/10/2012 at 18:27

'want' or 'need' Nursey ??   What exactly did he say?  

I have swum and run and been to the tip, I had never been to the tip before so this was mildly exciting  

03/10/2012 at 18:55

going to the tip? exciting?

went to spinning and my calf starting feeling a bit odd when we were doing a sprint. So didn't go fast after that.....

M...eldy    pirate
03/10/2012 at 18:57

I live a sheltered existance 

03/10/2012 at 19:47
BrokeButTri'ng wrote (see)

Which marafun you doing TB?

Good luck Brit

Chester BBT

WildWill    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:06
Evening all

Not a bad evening for me

Was recovery week long run , so did ...

- 10mile(mostly) trail run .. Walked 1min in each mile and average 9mm
- 30min core and stretch

- 25min sauna
03/10/2012 at 20:22
Evening all.

Knees feeling a lot better, going to cycle to work tomorrow & Friday. Maybe go for a 30 miler on Saturday, see what happens.

Has anyone any experience with Newton running shoes?

I always seem to suffer with every leg issue possible when i up my running so thinking i should try to learn to run properly. Everything ive been reading about natural running indicates that you are less prone to injury.

However, when you say you have shin splints or issues normal advice is to get shoes that are padded in the right places.

Thoughts?
ET7
03/10/2012 at 20:33
SD I read a book that made a lot of sense recently.. Chi Running which basically teaches you how to be mid foot striker and not a heel striker which according to the book is what causes a lot of common running injuries..it's worth a read.
It doesn't advocate barefoot running though the two do seem to go hand in hand.
ET7
Rafiki    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:35

SD - I swapped to Newton's about a year ago and now run 'properly' landing mid foot. I've now moved 'passed' Newtons and now run in Inov-8 minimalist shoes. I know Nike, Addidas et al spend a lot on research and development, and produce good quality, cushioned running shoes.....but 2.2 million years of human evolution works quite well too! The arch on your foot is an amazing piece of engineering and can absorb a lot of shock!!

But it doesn't work for every one!! Good luck!

03/10/2012 at 20:39
I ordered Chi running at the weekend as it goes, should be here this week
03/10/2012 at 20:42
Thanks Raf. So is it worth reading this Chi book, practising the landing mid foot thing in my current Saucony shoes first, then moving to a lower profile shoe like a Newton do you think?
Running Postie    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:51

SD When I was a kid, I ran bare foot (Zola Budd years!) and suffered no ill effects.  I had a bash at it again this summer, I didn't get any problems, but I don't think I would run any kind of distance barefoot but would do the odd session on grass to strengthen my feet. I have tried loads of different running shoe and have found one that I am happy with.

Off to take over Budepest this weekend and show them how us Brits run marathons!!

M...eldy    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:54

SD I am also contemplating similar .. what I would add is to make sure that you are injury free before you start and I also had some advice a few months ago to break in very very slowly, use for about 10 mins to start with ie: use it as a warm up for a longer run and come back and change shoes

Its finding the injury free window at the moment that I am struggling with 

03/10/2012 at 21:01
Lol, dont think i'll go to the extreme of Zola Budd style.

That sounds like a good plan Melds. I'm starting my running again next week. All being well

Thanks for your thoughts gang, much appreciated.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.