Evening all

Not a bad evening for me

Was recovery week long run , so did ...

- 10mile(mostly) trail run .. Walked 1min in each mile and average 9mm
- 30min core and stretch

- 25min sauna
03/10/2012 at 20:22
Evening all.

Knees feeling a lot better, going to cycle to work tomorrow & Friday. Maybe go for a 30 miler on Saturday, see what happens.

Has anyone any experience with Newton running shoes?

I always seem to suffer with every leg issue possible when i up my running so thinking i should try to learn to run properly. Everything ive been reading about natural running indicates that you are less prone to injury.

However, when you say you have shin splints or issues normal advice is to get shoes that are padded in the right places.

Thoughts?
ET7
03/10/2012 at 20:33
SD I read a book that made a lot of sense recently.. Chi Running which basically teaches you how to be mid foot striker and not a heel striker which according to the book is what causes a lot of common running injuries..it's worth a read.
It doesn't advocate barefoot running though the two do seem to go hand in hand.
ET7
Rafiki    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:35

SD - I swapped to Newton's about a year ago and now run 'properly' landing mid foot. I've now moved 'passed' Newtons and now run in Inov-8 minimalist shoes. I know Nike, Addidas et al spend a lot on research and development, and produce good quality, cushioned running shoes.....but 2.2 million years of human evolution works quite well too! The arch on your foot is an amazing piece of engineering and can absorb a lot of shock!!

But it doesn't work for every one!! Good luck!

03/10/2012 at 20:39
I ordered Chi running at the weekend as it goes, should be here this week
03/10/2012 at 20:42
Thanks Raf. So is it worth reading this Chi book, practising the landing mid foot thing in my current Saucony shoes first, then moving to a lower profile shoe like a Newton do you think?
Running Postie    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:51

SD When I was a kid, I ran bare foot (Zola Budd years!) and suffered no ill effects.  I had a bash at it again this summer, I didn't get any problems, but I don't think I would run any kind of distance barefoot but would do the odd session on grass to strengthen my feet. I have tried loads of different running shoe and have found one that I am happy with.

Off to take over Budepest this weekend and show them how us Brits run marathons!!

M...eldy    pirate
03/10/2012 at 20:54

SD I am also contemplating similar .. what I would add is to make sure that you are injury free before you start and I also had some advice a few months ago to break in very very slowly, use for about 10 mins to start with ie: use it as a warm up for a longer run and come back and change shoes

Its finding the injury free window at the moment that I am struggling with 

03/10/2012 at 21:01
Lol, dont think i'll go to the extreme of Zola Budd style.

That sounds like a good plan Melds. I'm starting my running again next week. All being well

Thanks for your thoughts gang, much appreciated.
03/10/2012 at 21:12

Personally, i`m not a fan of this whole move to midfoot/forefoot striking. Where you land is totally relevent to the speed you are running. Sub 5 min miles, forefoot. Sub 6, midfoot. Above 7, heel. The moment you `try` and run a certain way, that`s when, imo, the problems start. If you ask a young child to pick something up off the floor, they don`t bend over like us adults do, they use perfect lifting technique and nobody teaches them it. Same when they run, they instinctively use good form.  Most running injuries are caused by over use or poor gait because of muscle imbalances or weeknesses.  Go to any race and peoples arms and legs are all over the place. Most runners do little or no strength work, so just running a certain way just makes the imbalances worse. Sinajestic domminance is when the body finds it easier to let a strong muscle (or group of) do the work a weaker muscle should. For example, your glutes not firing properly because the stronger (relative) hamstrings are doing the work. Resulting in the hamstrings becoming over worked and the glutes staying weak. To avoid injuries you need to have an all round fitness and listen to your body. You normally get warning signs before an injury becomes full blown and stops you training.  If you strength is `balanced`, you have a degree of core strength and you reasonably supple, you should run with ok form and have few injuries. I don`t think `trying` to run a certain way is the answer.

IronCat5    pirate
03/10/2012 at 21:14

I wondered who had the injury baton now Meldy. Glad to pass it on.

When I started running I read that midfoot was the new thing. I started from heel striking then went to forefoot. That was a few weeks on intense calf pain. Then I rocked back to midfoot and the pain started to go away.

Now I'm a committed midfoot striker. Some would say I'm slightly heavy on the footfall (well known in my club for percussive runnning).

I see what you're saying DOM, though we are all different.

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 21:19
Rafiki    pirate
03/10/2012 at 21:15

+ 1 for M..eldy said!! A gradual change is a good idea.

Newtons will encourage to land mid-foot. You may find it hard to consciously change to mid foot in your current shoes, I know I did.

M..eldy - the guys at Runner's Retreat in Marlow are worth talking to - they are both qualified Natural running coaches.

WildWill    pirate
03/10/2012 at 21:43
I'd say don't sweat it

Don't go for a drastic change or you'll just end up injured

Instead include a regular drills session and a regular focus on cadence ...

.. Simples
04/10/2012 at 08:31
From the get go I seem to have used a mid foot strike (something to do with a background in 200m / 400m track running perhaps).

For years I used a mix of standard supportive Nike / Asics shoes although in the past few years I have been using Newtons and am happy with their performance in as much as I feel "faster" wearing them. I've seen a few people from my local club try the forefoot approach only to injury themselves by not taking long enough to adapt to the new method.

As mentioned above, I'm a firm believer in core work, drills etc and once a year I get a gait and muscle balance MOT from a physio to adress anything that may have "slipped" over the previous year.

In this way I hope to make suitable amends via the weights room, power bands, muscle rollers etc etc and therefore reduce the risk of imbalance injuries. Or that's the plan anyway....
04/10/2012 at 08:36
Always form before footwear :0)
seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/10/2012 at 08:38

dreaming of magic...........i think the same as you regarding the whole running marlarkey.......After all these years i am just starting tio do something about my weak core

M...eldy    pirate
04/10/2012 at 12:23
Happychap wrote (see)
Always form before footwear :0)

She's a wise old bird that one 

Britrisky    pirate
04/10/2012 at 12:33

On Brighton Marathon two folk were actually running barefoot!! (Mind you, I did see on of them in trainers later on ... )

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.