Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

6,141 to 6,160 of 10,149 messages
M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 09:26

Turbo trainers are not essential and you can do intervals on the road but as you have highlighted once it becomes icy and dangerous that is when you might wish you had one ...

Long rides on a mountain bike or good, good for strength training and whilst you probably wouldnt want to do 5hrs + on one you shouldnt need to be doing that unless we have a very long and bad winter or you have a very early IM

You dont *have* to have a lot of things but they make life easier 

Had a lovely 2.5hrs out on the mountain bikes yesterday and they are so much fun

14/10/2012 at 09:34

Thank. Expensive business keeping fit But Christmas is just round the corner

Cortina5    pirate
14/10/2012 at 09:39
AliBear30 wrote (see)
Did my 20 mile run today, felt better than my 19 mile one although the wheels came off a tad at mile 18 by mile 19 I was ok again. Not sure how I'll manage the extra 6.2 on the day but I'll get there when I get there.
Did a 1hr sufferfest session in Friday night at the cycling academy it was my first ever time on a turbo and I had to ask how to change gears in my loaned modern bike! A tad embarrassing but apparently I have a very good peddling action well maybe perhaps they were just looking for something nice to say since I was so slow! Good news is i was non the worse for wear this morning so bring on the winter turbo sessions.

You are a machine! 1 hr sufferfest followed by a 20 mile run

Glad to hear the wheels went back on again during the run. On my looong runs I also seem to fall apart in the penultimate mile. Probably as the end is so near, but the last mile is still to come.

Once the mara is done you can really hammer the turbo. AIm to walk like John Wayne afterwards

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 09:40
14/10/2012 at 11:41

Ali - well done

I did my 20 mile run today, well, I have to say it was run/walk because I took far too many walk breaks, but it was still 20 miles and I now feel fairly confident. Only another 6 miles - Ali we can do it!

Going to get my OH to download some sufferfest and put them onto dvd for me - he says he has some software he can use to do that. I can pretend to be bad at those kind of things to get him to do it for me

14/10/2012 at 14:58
Good plan Cat, although i need to do a 20 mile cycle next week and a 40 miler on 28th. Apart from that, binning the cycling.

Still did the 5 mile run today, although that was fine, walking up the stairs when i got home was very painfull.

Good running Ali. Are you doing the Norwich Half? Couldnt bring myself to go to the academy. I hate turbos with a passion, regardless whats on a screen in front of me.

Last year i just switched to MTB when it was icy. Although i found the shorter days the biggest issue for getting out. I will invest in some decent lights for this year.
M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:29

No .. you should plan to use a slightly harder gear and aim to move up once you become accustomed to that, going straight in to big heavy gears will have you injured, as with everything its gradual increases
But essentially yes, get out on the road bike as much as you can and use the above process to build leg strength

Rafiki    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:37

Just fitted mudguards to the road bike.... ready for lots of long, cold, wet, winter rides....

M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:41

We found a very good loop for hill reps yesterday with a cafe at the top ... I say 'found' I always knew it was there

Nurse Ratched    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:43

Good running Ali & Maths.

Just 5 miles for me today.  Too slow for my liking but, ho-hum,  tomorrow is another day.

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 15:44
Rafiki    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:47
M...eldy wrote (see)

We found a very good loop for hill reps yesterday with a cafe at the top ... I say 'found' I always knew it was there

Well, I'm happy to sit in the cafe, drink coffee and eat cakes and count your reps for you

M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:52

Too slow is better than too fast Nursey

Rafi, you will need to do them as well you know, you are not exempt !!

Britrisky    pirate
14/10/2012 at 16:00
Went on my first tri club ride - was nervous about the 'feature climb' and keeping up with the boys. Needn't have worried - quite a leisurely pace for me really, although the boys did lose me on the 'featured climb' (which in fact I'd done before, but at least I was faster than the slow joggers who were quicker than me last time!)

First time on the road bike since my tri a month ago - nice to be reacquainted, although my 'lady garden' might beg to differ towards the end ...
Running Postie    pirate
14/10/2012 at 19:50
Brit well done on the ride.
I did Peterborough half mara today as a recovery run (cough) 1.51hr, really pleased as the legs were heavy. Swim tomorrow me thinks
14/10/2012 at 20:26
14/10/2012 at 20:42

Well done MC , we're all set now!

SD - The chaps running the sufferfest sessions are histerical, you ought to try one. The main chap seems to think he's Jason Bradbury off the gadget show, I'm not sure if they're the generic sufferfest seesions or if he's customised them with his own sound track and motivational chants. There's a lot about keeping the chimp in his box.  I definitley want to go again.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
14/10/2012 at 20:52
Hi everyone

Bit mental at work, and mojo has been MIA for what feels like forever now but dragged lazy ass back to the gym yesterday for some strength training - result being walking is problematic today but went for a 1 hr ride in the hope that I might hurt less tomorrow

Not sure given how I feel this evening, tomorrow may well be a rest day
Rafiki    pirate
14/10/2012 at 20:54

you know should always start training plans with a rest day! The Fizzy therapist has banned me from exercise!

14/10/2012 at 21:26
The fizzy terrorists are all the same mate, but they may have a point!
M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 21:28

Bloody hell .... look what the cat dragged in !!

14/10/2012 at 21:29
It's a big cat
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.