Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

6,161 to 6,180 of 10,128 messages
14/10/2012 at 14:58
Good plan Cat, although i need to do a 20 mile cycle next week and a 40 miler on 28th. Apart from that, binning the cycling.

Still did the 5 mile run today, although that was fine, walking up the stairs when i got home was very painfull.

Good running Ali. Are you doing the Norwich Half? Couldnt bring myself to go to the academy. I hate turbos with a passion, regardless whats on a screen in front of me.

Last year i just switched to MTB when it was icy. Although i found the shorter days the biggest issue for getting out. I will invest in some decent lights for this year.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:19

Morning

Curry last night  so I did off road bike and shopping run today to make up for it

I've only just started to use my turbo and can see me using it a lot so I've just bought the Chrissy Wellington tracks from Audio Fuel (I bought the full set for variety!) I did look at Sufferfest but saw problems with actually watching them in the garage as the plug is on the back wall and the floor space is at the front of the garage next to the door for ventilation!

Meldy I'm possibly going to do a lot of off road (as in trail not masses of mud and hills!) on my old hybrid with 5 gears I'm guessing this is a good thing for me to build fitness and leg strength. I'm staying in the top (?) gear the most to make my legs work as I know Outlaw has a big hill (at about 20m I think) which is bigger than I have round here. Is this sensible or should I be using the road bike as much as I can whilst the weather is still OK?

M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:29

No .. you should plan to use a slightly harder gear and aim to move up once you become accustomed to that, going straight in to big heavy gears will have you injured, as with everything its gradual increases
But essentially yes, get out on the road bike as much as you can and use the above process to build leg strength

Rafiki    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:37

Just fitted mudguards to the road bike.... ready for lots of long, cold, wet, winter rides....

M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:41

We found a very good loop for hill reps yesterday with a cafe at the top ... I say 'found' I always knew it was there

Nurse Ratched    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:43

Good running Ali & Maths.

Just 5 miles for me today.  Too slow for my liking but, ho-hum,  tomorrow is another day.

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 15:44
Rafiki    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:47
M...eldy wrote (see)

We found a very good loop for hill reps yesterday with a cafe at the top ... I say 'found' I always knew it was there

Well, I'm happy to sit in the cafe, drink coffee and eat cakes and count your reps for you

M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:52

Too slow is better than too fast Nursey

Rafi, you will need to do them as well you know, you are not exempt !!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/10/2012 at 15:56

thanks!!

Britrisky    pirate
14/10/2012 at 16:00
Went on my first tri club ride - was nervous about the 'feature climb' and keeping up with the boys. Needn't have worried - quite a leisurely pace for me really, although the boys did lose me on the 'featured climb' (which in fact I'd done before, but at least I was faster than the slow joggers who were quicker than me last time!)

First time on the road bike since my tri a month ago - nice to be reacquainted, although my 'lady garden' might beg to differ towards the end ...
Running Postie    pirate
14/10/2012 at 19:50
Brit well done on the ride.
I did Peterborough half mara today as a recovery run (cough) 1.51hr, really pleased as the legs were heavy. Swim tomorrow me thinks
14/10/2012 at 20:26
14/10/2012 at 20:42

Well done MC , we're all set now!

SD - The chaps running the sufferfest sessions are histerical, you ought to try one. The main chap seems to think he's Jason Bradbury off the gadget show, I'm not sure if they're the generic sufferfest seesions or if he's customised them with his own sound track and motivational chants. There's a lot about keeping the chimp in his box.  I definitley want to go again.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
14/10/2012 at 20:52
Hi everyone

Bit mental at work, and mojo has been MIA for what feels like forever now but dragged lazy ass back to the gym yesterday for some strength training - result being walking is problematic today but went for a 1 hr ride in the hope that I might hurt less tomorrow

Not sure given how I feel this evening, tomorrow may well be a rest day
Rafiki    pirate
14/10/2012 at 20:54

you know should always start training plans with a rest day! The Fizzy therapist has banned me from exercise!

14/10/2012 at 21:26
The fizzy terrorists are all the same mate, but they may have a point!
M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 21:28

Bloody hell .... look what the cat dragged in !!

Twice  

14/10/2012 at 21:29
It's a big cat
M...eldy    pirate
14/10/2012 at 21:30

You need to give your mojo a damn good talking to ...

IronCat5    pirate
14/10/2012 at 21:32

Welcome back GT.

SD do you really need to do those bike rides? Are they more important that your goal of IM?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.