Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

6,881 to 6,900 of 10,128 messages
21/11/2012 at 13:48
I've updated my ipad/iphone calendar with the Fink competitive plan for Bolton during my last two sicky days.

Made a few adjustments to tie in with family life though

Swapped the tuesday/ wednesday sessions round
Changed olympic tri week round to accomodate the week later event i'm going to do.
Also binned the friday runs & will do park run on the sat with my daughter instead. I'm also going to do extra cycling on the sat instead of the brick session as well
Moved the thursday swim to sundays

The plan is only my guide though, not set in stone. Looking forward to starting. Jan 7th
21/11/2012 at 13:50

TB, as my mentor tells me, a plan is just a guide.  Fit in what you can, juggle big rides/runs around if you have to, and don't stress if you miss a day or two.  I'm going to stick to mine as much as I can, but I'll also be slotting in some extra turbo sessions.  

Reading Going Long right now too, and one thing it says that strikes as good sense -- why put your long ride and long run together if you don't have to?  So my long run is going to be mid-week (I'm lucky that I work for myself)...  

And I'm always going to do my best to remember I'm supposed to be enjoying this!

Tired Badger    pirate
21/11/2012 at 14:00

Yes good advice both, I just need to re arrange the plan and I should fit it all in.  I'm thinking along the lines of:

Monday AM Swim - PM Running club

Tues - Cycle

Wed - AM Swim PM - Long Run

Thurs - Cycle/Run brick

Fri - Am Swim - PM Run

Sat - OFF

Sun - Long Cycle

I have toyed with the idea of swapping alternate long runs and long rides on Saundays, so I can still do some long runs with the running club, but my cycling really does need the focus.

21/11/2012 at 15:36

I could be wrong I'm re-reading Fink at the moment, I know things have to change to fit in with life.   He says it's also planned out to work different muscle groups on different or spaced out days so that needs some attention paid when you need to switch things about a bit.

21/11/2012 at 15:49

AliBear is right i think.  According to Fink the shorter sessions at the beginning and middle of the week are to provide muscle rest and promote recovery from the long weekend sessions with times gradually building up through to the end of the week. i can see the logic in splitting up the long sessions to not overload your legs on 2 consecutive days, but then think that the whole week would have to be swapped around to compensate... 

Mr StOat    pirate
21/11/2012 at 16:32

I've seen quite a few people talking about switching long days around so they aren't next to each other. Surey that's the point though, its like a long brick but with a bit of recovery. After all, on the day its a long bike followed by a long run?

M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 19:15

What ever is being done now is all preparation ... dont get carried away, use this time to find out what works and what doesnt, what you are good at and what you are pants at
Speak with mentors or pirates on threads, you will get a huge amount of advice, take bits of each and rearrange the words to something that applies to you  

At this stage, its exercice not training *

*sage advice from someone I dont remember who

Rafiki    pirate
21/11/2012 at 19:33

I just watched the 'Flying Scotsman - the Graeme Obree Story' - that should count at bike training surely  (good film by the way, especially the bit when the Scotsman beats that Englishman Boardman )

21/11/2012 at 19:44
Does the whole if the base period count as exercise rather than training then?
Edited: 21/11/2012 at 19:47
M...eldy    pirate
21/11/2012 at 19:49

I would say so yes ... I see the base as a 'foundation', you are building the blocks to begin training so therefore its exercise 
To look at it another way its an  introduction to consistency  !!  

21/11/2012 at 20:15
Finks plan is a guide, my adapted fink plan hits all the long stuff but fits in with the family lifestyle now, it still gives adequate rest between runs, cycles and swims.

I can swim when daughters at karate, i can also do park run with her now. She is also going to do her first tri next year so can swim train with me on the friday session.

Non of the long runs or long cycles on consequitive days so muscle recovery will be fine. Ay probs, drop a training day & have a rest
21/11/2012 at 21:17

Half hour turbo, 5 mile run, feeling good!  Now a glass of wine to undo all the good work. 

21/11/2012 at 21:26

Oh dear - on that basis all my good work has probably been undone back to the summer

21/11/2012 at 21:32
Well done Tim. Get smashed

Breakthrough on the man flu tonight bu the looks, felt loads better this evening.

Norwich half back on, should i try squeeze in a couple of miles tomorrow or just bin it till the day now do you think?
21/11/2012 at 22:05
Rafiki wrote (see)

I just watched the 'Flying Scotsman - the Graeme Obree Story' - that should count at bike training surely  (good film by the way, especially the bit when the Scotsman beats that Englishman Boardman )

I went to a talk by Obree a few years ago. Hey he is a great guy but complex in a big way. He is into stretching and not eating salt in the most OCD focussed way you could think. A lot of newbies to exercise could take a leaf out of his book about just getting on with non science based training to build a base and ultimately speed.

22/11/2012 at 16:57

Andy, I reckon a couple of miles today or tomorrow might be OK, and will probably indicate just how much better you are.

I have an off-road, hilly half on Sunday (Bath Hilly Half), but to be honest with this weather I'm not sure it will be on.  Flooding all over.  

IronCat5    pirate
22/11/2012 at 17:17

I've heard the flooding is bad in the SW. Today's jaunt down the M1 showed flooded fields on either side. My almost-gone coughs and splutters (aka ManFlu) has returned with avengance following Tuesday's wet run.

Out to play in the wind tonight

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 19:19

Make sure the Ark has sails ..... 

IronCat5    pirate
22/11/2012 at 20:34
M...eldy wrote (see)

Make sure the Ark has sails ..... 

Or not. You'll get blown oop North. Tis grim up there.

M...eldy    pirate
22/11/2012 at 20:53

Aye 'appen ..... but he is not being blown down South is he !!!    

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.