Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

6,921 to 6,940 of 10,128 messages
24/11/2012 at 07:30
Morning all

So, tomorrow sees my last event of the year, Norwich half marathon.

28mph winds, 8 degrees, maybe rain. What do i wear?

I want to wear my club running vest but feel it will be too cold on its own. So, running tshirt underneath it or long sleeve base layer under it?

When i have ran recently and its been a similar temp i've worn a thin running jacket but always feel a bit hot after a few miles.

I'm also worried my bum looks too big in my shorts
24/11/2012 at 08:02

SD - don't worry about how your bum looks, you don't have to look at it!

as to what to wear, it is really personal, running jackets always make me feel excessively warm, unless it is below zero. You will probably be ok with a t-shirt under your vest, but if there is serious wind chill you might want the long sleeves.

good luck and have fun

24/11/2012 at 08:59

Thanks MC

I was a bit concerned when the organisers sent me some wide load stickers with my race number.

Just been out for a 1 mile loosener. 2 degrees here this morning & did that in a t-shirt & vest. Was ok after a few mins so that is what i will wear tommorow.

Quite excited now, my first standalone half marathon & potentially the furthest i've ever run non stop, by a whole 3 miles

Shame i'm still necking the lemsips but hey ho

24/11/2012 at 09:10

SD - well personally I always wear a vest in races and despite being freezing cold on the start line I'm always hot after a mile. However - if you are worried about the cold I would go for a t-shirt under the vest.

Word or warning - I've done Norwich about 5 times. It's usually between 0 and 5 degrees on the start line. I've seen loads of runners in expensive jackets, hats and gloves at the start. They then get too hot and throw them in a hedge a few miles in!

24/11/2012 at 10:19
Have fun sausageD. I will be attempting my first ever half in march as my second event ofthe year. I shall be aquathoning the week before.

Will be runningin shorts or goung for therrmals/tights?
24/11/2012 at 10:43

Good luck SD, my off-road half in BAth is still on despite horrific weather, I'm wearing running tights, long-sleeved top and will also take a light jacket, which i can tuck into my belt if I don't need it.

24/11/2012 at 12:10

28mph winds SD? That's going to be a pain!

Other than the weather I'm really looking forward to running it. It's going to be a bit chilly

I'll keep an eye out for you SD, I'm number 224 if you see me!

24/11/2012 at 12:41

Given the weather this weekend, I'm fairly happy to essentailly be house bound.

That said, I've got no excuse for using this (RumbleRoller) foam roller which my other half was kind enough to buy me earlier this week. 

To be honest, using it is reasonably painful, I've got the "extra firm compact size variant" although I swear my troublesome IT Band already feels looser after a few days of use. 

Good luck to everyone competing or training out of doors over the next day or so.

(Hope this post isn't breaking any forum rules - ie by plugging the above product.)

Edited: 24/11/2012 at 12:43
24/11/2012 at 18:02

ID that rumble roller looks EVIL

24/11/2012 at 18:55

Wow, that looks like something from an S&M dungeon (I'm guessing here ).

25/11/2012 at 14:29
Whoop whoop, first standalone half marathon nailed. Ran the whole thing in 1 hr 59mins.

Met the budgie at around 11miles but i wasnt in a great place by this time, quick hand shake and away he flew. Sorry I wasnt overly talkative mate, i was slowly dying
M...eldy    pirate
25/11/2012 at 15:14

Nice time SD  .. well done !!!

I went to Twickers yesterday, shame both teams played shite  

25/11/2012 at 15:26

SD - well done, brilliant time for your first HM

25/11/2012 at 15:30
Woo well done SD great time.
25/11/2012 at 16:04

Well done SD. Great time for a first HM. Especially in those tough conditions. Everyone ran 5 minutes slower than they expected to. Even the winner ran 72 after running 68 last year and last year was mega windy too. I did see you and shouted across a crowded room but you either didn't hear or more likely pretended not to and rushed off!

I had a truly horrible day and scraped in a PW of 1:45. I'm blaming illness, the wind, ongoing weight issues and a general lack of fitness. Not necessarily in that order....

25/11/2012 at 16:23

Top job SD, nice going!  And well done everyone else, too.  

I ran the Bath Hilly Half off-road half marathon.  Clue's in the name, really ... but feck me it was hilly!  1600 feet of ascent/descent, beaucoup mud puddles to my knees.  Weather was kind -- sunny, other than a little shower.  Think I managed about 2:20, happy with that considering the difficulty.

It's going to hurt in the morning.

25/11/2012 at 17:13

Well done Tim

Didnt hear you Spoons, sorry, was that before the race? Good time mate, you must have been close to Budgie.

Great Trianglia turn out, runners and spectators. Got some great support on the way round

25/11/2012 at 17:17

Fantastic SD

Thats my goal for february. I don't even mind adding on 59 seconds

IronCat5    pirate
25/11/2012 at 20:06

Well done all that raced today. Certainly not PB conditions. Great run SD, onwards and upwards!

About a minute slower at today's XC than last year, but placed higher. It was like bog snorkling for the most of it.

25/11/2012 at 21:37
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.