Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

6,981 to 7,000 of 10,128 messages
M...eldy    pirate
29/11/2012 at 21:09

Nice progress Brit!

No time for anything between work and sleep today so I get a rest day

SD .. no better or worse for the run but I do enjoy a crisp, dark evening run anyway !!

Rafiki    pirate
30/11/2012 at 09:11

Actually managed a 1 mile run this week, so calf slowly improving!

Also, been playing with my new toy which arrived this week - my Garmin 910. Went swimming in the pool with it last night and was impressed I no longer have to count lengths. But tell me someone - how does it 'know' when I've done a length???? Is it witch craft M..eldy, or magic??

30/11/2012 at 09:22

I got mine last week too Raf, its great, I believe there is a little demon in the watch which counts the lengths for you?

Rafiki    pirate
30/11/2012 at 09:36

This little demon is pretty good with a calculator too - the way it works out all those stats at the same time!

30/11/2012 at 09:39

it is good isn't it? although sometimes it counts extra lengths for me. It counts a new length when you glide for more than a certain distance

Rafiki    pirate
30/11/2012 at 09:46

I was finding it hard to justify buying one as I have a 405 and Catseye's on the bikes. But  I've had the 405 for 3 years and the battery is going and more often than not just loses charge instantly (poosibly operator error though). But when the 910 got to 250 quid I caved - and so far I'm glad I have. Got the cadence sensor as well as well. Just trying to decide on the quick release mount - but read some bad reviews - like too many people losing the main unit half way through a swim!

30/11/2012 at 10:14

I have the quick release and cadance unit so far no problems (touch wood), I have had no problems in the pool so far, the lengths have been spot on apart from when I touched one of the buttons with a paddle on a turn and didn't know which one I pressed so that messed a few lengths up 

math in the review found here there are a few tips for making the swim data more accurate, following these I have no problems.

30/11/2012 at 11:21

Bear is on the injury bench in her very own personal style.

Did I hurt myself doing any of my mad, horse riding, quadbiking,shooting, jetsking, running. cycling or swimming? No

I hurt myself whilst sitting on the soft watching telly. Turned my head an ow major pain in the neck that won't go away. Naff all sleep and in work doped up on the maximum pain killers I've got today.

This watching TV lark is dangerous you know .

So tomorrow park run plans scrapped and I was going to start Fink on Monday. Looks like I'll be a week behind plan before I even started.

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 11:22
Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/11/2012 at 12:12

Oooh, Ali, that doesn't sound very pleasant.  Hope you're better soon

After 3 weeks of no exercise whatsoever, I made it to the pool this morning.  Broke myself back in gently by spending half an hour propelling myself through the water in various styles, none of them pretty.  Or at least that's what it felt like to me! Back into my groove by the end of the swim, I think, and I feel bloody marvellous.  Fink? Bring it on!

May I rant?  Old biddies - why don't you have your chat in a nice, warm, dry cafe instead of taking up half the width of the pool?  And how you manage to 'swim' while vertical is beyond me.

30/11/2012 at 12:41
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

May I rant?  Old biddies - why don't you have your chat in a nice, warm, dry cafe instead of taking up half the width of the pool?  And how you manage to 'swim' while vertical is beyond me.

With it. When I lived near Liverpool there wasn't anywhere near me with a lane swim so it was a free for all with some trying to do lengths others ( mainly older ) trying to do widths. It was a pain in the backside. Join a gym with a pool that always had 2 lanes out and the other 2/3 of the pool for free swim which most people did lengths in and what happens? Few people in the pool and oldies in the lanes swimming side by side not following the up one side down the other as the end boards showed. Advice. Get in the lane and deliberately kick and arm splash as you go past them, they will soon move!!

Alibear, 1 week off won't do any bad but don't let it become regular as time goes on. Hope it sorts out this week.

30/11/2012 at 12:52

Nurse Ratched - I agree with chilliboy in joining a gym. Mine opens at 6.30am and has two pools, so can get a decent lane swim in before work. It's always the same people as well so we know who swims in what lane and what speed etc so works great.  The "oldies" only tend to come in around 8.00am, although your initial comment about them chatting totally bugged me too, you shouldn't have to pay to join a gym for a decent swim, but there isn't that much difference cost wise now.

30/11/2012 at 14:13

Joining the gym was a few years ago. Where I live now we have a great pool for lane swimming at just about any time of day upto 10pm at night. Get there later, 8.30 ish and you can end up with a lane to yourself. Early morning you will be sharing with 5 or 6. It's all about being courteous to the fellow SWIMMERS there not people there just for a gasing session!!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/11/2012 at 16:01

There is always a lane in the (small but very lovely) local pool at the times I go, but there were three other people using it this morning (how very dare they!) which is too crowded for me.  There would have been plenty of space outwith the lane if the coffin dodgers had been a bit more considerate.  As it was, I did just pick a spot and swim up and down in a straight line - make way or get walloped!

No gyms with pools around here, and my pool membership is super cheap.

I was just needing a wee sound-off.

30/11/2012 at 16:12

We all need a sound-off - I like the term coffin dodgers.

30/11/2012 at 16:27

Ah lane swimming in pulbic pools, I'm lucky in that the local pool has lanes on at good times. It's just that I have to duck back and forth between the lanes as and when the other people get in and out. I FC slower than some some breastrokers but then faster than others. I always feel a fraud in the "fast" lane.

I'm quite surprised at how many people get in and out before I'm done though. You'd think that for £3.75 people would want a reasonable amount of time in the water.

30/11/2012 at 18:02

Ali - just goes to show you watching tv is bad for you

My pool doesn't have very many sessions in the evenings which is when I can go - or has them at 9pm which is toolate for me, so it is a struggle, but never mind

knee felt dodgy when I got on a bike today, so tried the rower and that felt ok, so had a rower then weights session at the gym. then ice session at home

30/11/2012 at 18:04

BBT - thanks, I look on there 

FoC
30/11/2012 at 18:30

Hi Everyone - 1st time back on the turbo since the ankle operation 15 days ago.  

Of course, a 15 min spin with an ave of 145 watts (I'll carefully avoid putting my weight up for public consumption just yet) isn't much to shout about and yet for me, it's great to be taking the first revolutions to fitness.

(My first shower for 15 days soon after my spin on the bike was a high point of my life for many weeks.....)

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 18:45
01/12/2012 at 12:20

well done ID, bet it feels good to be getting back to normal. I imagine the shower was a highlight for anyone you live with too..

02/12/2012 at 18:59
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.