Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,001 to 7,020 of 10,137 messages
30/11/2012 at 14:13

Joining the gym was a few years ago. Where I live now we have a great pool for lane swimming at just about any time of day upto 10pm at night. Get there later, 8.30 ish and you can end up with a lane to yourself. Early morning you will be sharing with 5 or 6. It's all about being courteous to the fellow SWIMMERS there not people there just for a gasing session!!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
30/11/2012 at 16:01

There is always a lane in the (small but very lovely) local pool at the times I go, but there were three other people using it this morning (how very dare they!) which is too crowded for me.  There would have been plenty of space outwith the lane if the coffin dodgers had been a bit more considerate.  As it was, I did just pick a spot and swim up and down in a straight line - make way or get walloped!

No gyms with pools around here, and my pool membership is super cheap.

I was just needing a wee sound-off.

30/11/2012 at 16:12

We all need a sound-off - I like the term coffin dodgers.

30/11/2012 at 16:27

Ah lane swimming in pulbic pools, I'm lucky in that the local pool has lanes on at good times. It's just that I have to duck back and forth between the lanes as and when the other people get in and out. I FC slower than some some breastrokers but then faster than others. I always feel a fraud in the "fast" lane.

I'm quite surprised at how many people get in and out before I'm done though. You'd think that for £3.75 people would want a reasonable amount of time in the water.

30/11/2012 at 18:02

Ali - just goes to show you watching tv is bad for you

My pool doesn't have very many sessions in the evenings which is when I can go - or has them at 9pm which is toolate for me, so it is a struggle, but never mind

knee felt dodgy when I got on a bike today, so tried the rower and that felt ok, so had a rower then weights session at the gym. then ice session at home

30/11/2012 at 18:04

BBT - thanks, I look on there 

FoC
30/11/2012 at 18:30

Hi Everyone - 1st time back on the turbo since the ankle operation 15 days ago.  

Of course, a 15 min spin with an ave of 145 watts (I'll carefully avoid putting my weight up for public consumption just yet) isn't much to shout about and yet for me, it's great to be taking the first revolutions to fitness.

(My first shower for 15 days soon after my spin on the bike was a high point of my life for many weeks.....)

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 18:45
01/12/2012 at 12:20

well done ID, bet it feels good to be getting back to normal. I imagine the shower was a highlight for anyone you live with too..

02/12/2012 at 18:59
02/12/2012 at 19:14

SD - excellent year all round. You must be chuffed to bits all round. How much weight have you lost now?

re: great barrow challenge, will you be chucking in a marathon or 2 next year? I did the 4 maras last year. It's probably easier than the cycling to be honest. Mind you, cycling is my weakness so I would say that.... 

M...eldy    pirate
02/12/2012 at 19:25

Evening gang

Recovering from the pirate christmas party so I think its an early night for me !

Hope everyone has had an injury free weekend .. or at least a few hours !!

02/12/2012 at 19:34
2st 5lbs. I got to 13st 9lbs. Havent weighed myself for a while but think i'm probably still around 14st.

Great Barrow Challenge, i'm going to do the event by all disciplines. Walking it next year then running it the following year.

The running is probably the easiest because you can run/walk. Marching 26 miles a day will be a killer on the feet.
02/12/2012 at 19:36
Evening Melds. Hope you ahd a good time.

Good weekend, Saturday was a write off after my team night out Friday. Normally jave to write off the Sunday as well so quite pleased i was able to do something today.

Had a dodgy cycle today in the slippery stuff. Back wheel took on a mind of its own a few times so i thought i'd cut the ride short before i crashed.
Ironholgs    pirate
03/12/2012 at 09:16

Morning All,

I ran my first 10k race yesterday for 3 and a half years and loved it. Very icy underfoot in places so very pleased with a 46.35. Apart from the first "fast" mile of 7.03 the rest were consistently paced.

Nice to have a benchmark to work from going into next year, looking forward to setting my half mara benchmark in January.

03/12/2012 at 12:34

Jeez, 46.35, bloody racing snake, well done mate.

M...eldy    pirate
03/12/2012 at 12:55

Nice one Holgs!

Need to get back to some consistency again this week, its never easy to keep a lid on it in December as it is

03/12/2012 at 12:59

Great race Holgs - I can't have 3 and a half months off and do a 10k in that time - nice one.

Ironholgs    pirate
03/12/2012 at 13:28

Thanks guys, Sumo - I haven't had 3.5 months off - I've been training, it was 3.5 years since I raced a 10k

Scrubbed up quite nicely on FB ( Facebook not Fat Buddah ) Meldy, didn't recognise you. Hope it was a fun night.

M...eldy    pirate
03/12/2012 at 13:53

We had a very good night thank you!    Nice to see all the boys in Black Tie as well !!

Ironholgs    pirate
03/12/2012 at 13:55

Good stuff - must try and get along to one at some point. Nearest was Manchester and Em was overdue at the time.

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 13:56
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.