Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,421 to 7,440 of 10,128 messages
16/01/2013 at 18:09

thanks SD and cake

what is Tim's real name (or pen-name?) so I can check out his book?

16/01/2013 at 18:16

mathschick, it's Tim Lebbon.  Lots of my stuff on Amazon.  Coldbrook is a zombie book, although there is a bit of sauciness in there (NOT zombie sex, I hasten to add).  Still, I was reading James Herbert when I was 10, never did me any harm (?).  Has your son read World War Z?  Excellent book.  

Sorry for hijacking IM thread with zombies.  Let's hope that's not what we all resemble at mile 20 of the run... 

16/01/2013 at 18:21

Thanks Tim

don't think he has had world war z yet, will have to check. 

He can probably cope with a bit of sauciness, he is at the age where he is starting to learn things from friends, but doesn't really want to talk to us about it, apart from trying to bring inuendos into every conversation

now, just need to stop myself from curling up on the sofa with a book. Need to swim tonight, but swim session doesn't start till 8:15 so there will be a massive temptation to just go to sleep on the sofa and not bother! 

16/01/2013 at 18:26

cake - does this mean you know loads about Tim Lebbon and have read all his books?

M...eldy    pirate
16/01/2013 at 18:26

Nursey, you should know better!    Dont do it again.     

16/01/2013 at 18:37

Cake, that's me!

M...eldy    pirate
16/01/2013 at 18:38

Oh and yes, Nursey if you have a good lathering of moisturiser on you wont get a seal on your goggles ... wait until afters !

16/01/2013 at 18:39

thought it rang a bell - OH has the world war z book! Might suggest to son that he sneaks it off the bookshelf..

16/01/2013 at 18:48

mathschick, it's an excellent book, quite scarily realistic.

Cake, happy training!  Not likely to meet George, but I have done this

Nurse Ratched    pirate
16/01/2013 at 21:12
SausageDog wrote (see)

Nursey, what did you say to me about resting !

M...eldy wrote (see)

Nursey, you should know better!    Dont do it again.     

16/01/2013 at 21:39
Cake - ive read magician a couple of times, great book.

Note to self - read more of Tims non zombie books before The Grafman

30 min run & 1.4 mile swim done today +

a 3lb weight loss in 10 days, back to 14st 1 lb

Quite happy tonight
16/01/2013 at 22:18

Good going SD!

Ironholgs    pirate
17/01/2013 at 08:21

Well done SD.

I've read several of Tims books and they are great, Toxic City is particularly good, can't wait for the sequel - he's just too busy training though

Oh and there aren't many zombies in my books, just the one.

Oh and it's nice to be the "least famous author" on the thread, kind of takes the pressure off

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 08:22
Rafiki    pirate
17/01/2013 at 10:30

didn't know you were an author Holgs

Did a long session at the gym yesterday - 2500m in the pool, then 1 hour on spin bike then 30 mins on dreadmill. I was starving after the swim so had to grab some food from the coffee shop. Got some very strange looks, especially fromt the post Christmas newbies, as I strolled into the gym, got on a spin and proceeded to stuff flapjacks and a banana down my throat as I pedalled away

17/01/2013 at 10:40

Note to all possibly dont' read Tim's books before going for a night run.

There again it does make you go a bit quicker when you hear a branch snap.

Snow stopped play again this week, 2 weeks of no training will I have scuppered my plans? Not jsut snow I' stil not quite right after the lurgy and since it's chest pains I figure training is not going to help.

IronCat5    pirate
17/01/2013 at 10:54
Good effort Raf!

Ali - 2weeks off this early won't make a difference. Do nothing but rest and recover. Much better than trying to train and being out for a long time. FWIW I had 6 weeks off swimming in the middle, and various sections of illness.
Britrisky    pirate
17/01/2013 at 12:29
Rafiki wrote (see)

Got some very strange looks, especially fromt the post Christmas newbies, as I strolled into the gym, got on a spin and proceeded to stuff flapjacks and a banana down my throat as I pedalled away

Love it

BluePeter    pirate
17/01/2013 at 13:11
Hi all, thought I would pop in as this looks most likely place for me to log what I'm doing. I am currently reading through the entirety of this thread and on page 56. So I will be back soon. Although I didn't completely consider myself 'fatman' more of an 'unfit smoker with an ever increasing beer gut and some fatty deposits in the lower back area a la Alan partridge' 18 months ago, I am definitely training towards an IM next year. SA has agreed todo a bit of mentoring for me and my first triathlon will be the pirate DIY.
SD - as of page 56 this is a great thread and as well as being motivational has some top training tips...ok enough of the intro as I seem to have done it a number of times now! This will be my new home...many thanks
Rafiki    pirate
17/01/2013 at 15:33

Welcome Blue Peter. I'd watch that SA though, he'll lead you astray if you're not careful

Got my Triathlon licence today, as I'm now a member of Triathlon Scotland (half the price of Triathlon England with the same benefits!) Does that make me a proper triaferlete now??

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 15:46
IronCat5    pirate
17/01/2013 at 16:14

No, just a confirmed dirty sweaty.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.