Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,441 to 7,460 of 10,137 messages
16/01/2013 at 22:18

Good going SD!

Ironholgs    pirate
17/01/2013 at 08:21

Well done SD.

I've read several of Tims books and they are great, Toxic City is particularly good, can't wait for the sequel - he's just too busy training though

Oh and there aren't many zombies in my books, just the one.

Oh and it's nice to be the "least famous author" on the thread, kind of takes the pressure off

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 08:22
Rafiki    pirate
17/01/2013 at 10:30

didn't know you were an author Holgs

Did a long session at the gym yesterday - 2500m in the pool, then 1 hour on spin bike then 30 mins on dreadmill. I was starving after the swim so had to grab some food from the coffee shop. Got some very strange looks, especially fromt the post Christmas newbies, as I strolled into the gym, got on a spin and proceeded to stuff flapjacks and a banana down my throat as I pedalled away

17/01/2013 at 10:40

Note to all possibly dont' read Tim's books before going for a night run.

There again it does make you go a bit quicker when you hear a branch snap.

Snow stopped play again this week, 2 weeks of no training will I have scuppered my plans? Not jsut snow I' stil not quite right after the lurgy and since it's chest pains I figure training is not going to help.

IronCat5    pirate
17/01/2013 at 10:54
Good effort Raf!

Ali - 2weeks off this early won't make a difference. Do nothing but rest and recover. Much better than trying to train and being out for a long time. FWIW I had 6 weeks off swimming in the middle, and various sections of illness.
Britrisky    pirate
17/01/2013 at 12:29
Rafiki wrote (see)

Got some very strange looks, especially fromt the post Christmas newbies, as I strolled into the gym, got on a spin and proceeded to stuff flapjacks and a banana down my throat as I pedalled away

Love it

BluePeter    pirate
17/01/2013 at 13:11
Hi all, thought I would pop in as this looks most likely place for me to log what I'm doing. I am currently reading through the entirety of this thread and on page 56. So I will be back soon. Although I didn't completely consider myself 'fatman' more of an 'unfit smoker with an ever increasing beer gut and some fatty deposits in the lower back area a la Alan partridge' 18 months ago, I am definitely training towards an IM next year. SA has agreed todo a bit of mentoring for me and my first triathlon will be the pirate DIY.
SD - as of page 56 this is a great thread and as well as being motivational has some top training tips...ok enough of the intro as I seem to have done it a number of times now! This will be my new home...many thanks
Rafiki    pirate
17/01/2013 at 15:33

Welcome Blue Peter. I'd watch that SA though, he'll lead you astray if you're not careful

Got my Triathlon licence today, as I'm now a member of Triathlon Scotland (half the price of Triathlon England with the same benefits!) Does that make me a proper triaferlete now??

Edited: 17/01/2013 at 15:46
IronCat5    pirate
17/01/2013 at 16:14

No, just a confirmed dirty sweaty.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/01/2013 at 16:23

I sincerely hope that refers to the triathlon bit and not the Scottish bit 

Welcome BP

I am feeling beyond knackered today (result of whatever caused yesterday's headache from hell) so I've decided to have an extra rest day (can't fit training in tomorrow so it was my scheduled rest day). 

M...eldy    pirate
17/01/2013 at 17:01

I told you so.

17/01/2013 at 17:37

Evening all

I've ended up with a London Marathon place.

Training plan adjustment time.

M...eldy    pirate
17/01/2013 at 17:52

You speak for yourself Cake   

Good luck with that one Sossige!

17/01/2013 at 22:46

SD, congrats!  I'm going to start applying next year.

HAve fun playing in the snow, folks  We're just on the edge of the Red Warning Area ... some snowy run fun tomorrow, hopefully.

18/01/2013 at 06:26
Nice one SD, London is on my wish list.

It's snowing in Newport which means I won't be going for my early swim It does mean a day off from seeing patients though
M...eldy    pirate
18/01/2013 at 06:29

Win some lose some Rocco!

I am on my home, last night shift and not back until Tuesday by when I expect this weather to be gone thank you very much

18/01/2013 at 06:50

Snowpocalypse!  Well, not quite ... but heavy snow forecast for the next 24 hours.  Missed a training day yesterday cos of a funeral, so today –– after sledging with the kid! –– half an hour on the turbo then a long run.

Ironholgs    pirate
18/01/2013 at 09:09

No snow here in Lancaster.....yet.

Welcome Blue Peter, SA is a gentleman and a scholar, he'll look after you, you are in safe hands ( just invest in noise cancelling ear plugs ). Just do exactly what he says and you'll be fine

Good luck SD - been there, done that, never again but most people like London.

FoC
18/01/2013 at 12:29

Snow day so I'm working from home.  Just about time to jump on the turbo during my "lunch hour".

On a different note, if anyone here, like me, has been struggling on the swimming front, I really can recomend getting to a group / masters swimming class.  I went to my first swimming lesson for 15 years earlier in the week and I'm already noticing the benefits by way of a better catch and a more streamlined position in the water. 

It may very well be all inside my head but since Tuesday of this week, I've doubled the distance I feel comfortable taking on in one go.  As could be expected, I'm really rather chuffed.

Safe travels everyone.

Ironholgs    pirate
18/01/2013 at 12:33
Cake wrote (see)

It's snowtastic here. Means I get to wash my fell shoe's

Am sat at my desk wearing mine in anticipation of running home in the snow later, if we get some.

Nice one donkey.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.