Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,541 to 7,560 of 10,137 messages
Nurse Ratched    pirate
23/01/2013 at 11:50

Good work ID

My mentor is tops!  Off to the pool this afternoon, will surely have memorised all that  by then..........................

M...eldy    pirate
23/01/2013 at 11:52

You'd better  

23/01/2013 at 12:33

Well done ID, Holgs & anyone else hitting the training.

Great swim tip post Melds, thanks.

23/01/2013 at 12:53

well timed swim post Meldy as I'm having a swim intensive week this week. particularly like the bit about not bending wrists at start of stroke as I had been trying to change my stroke to incorporate more of a bend but it feels unatural.

FoC
23/01/2013 at 14:10

Thanks all - I feel a little bit of a fraud in only going for the half distance this year.

As for the run.  It went well.  No pain.  No reaction.  No slipping on Ice.

Rafiki    pirate
23/01/2013 at 14:27

Not that I wold dare to question M...eldy but....

Don’t:
• Bend your wrist at the beginning of the underwater stroke. Keep your wrist strong and straight

contradicts with Mr Smoothswim which suggests at the start of the catch: 

At full reach and without dropping your elbow, feel like you are tipping your finger-tips over the front of a barrel (again flexing at the wrist), which will start the catch.

Think I'll stick to doggy paddle!!

23/01/2013 at 14:27

Thanks for that post and the link to that site Melds, great help!

M...eldy    pirate
23/01/2013 at 14:43

Is a flex not different to a bend?

Swimsmooth is also talking about the reach and not the pull   

23/01/2013 at 15:01

Was thinking about this in the pool today. Before now, I have followed the Mr Smooth advice with finger-tips over the front of a barrel and flexing my wrist but today tried to keep them straight. Really not sure which is best as my whole stroke is pretty rubbish.

The good news is that I had shoulder surgery in December and have today swum 500m. Not very far in the greater scheme of things, but it's a good start on the road to recovery and Ironman.

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 15:02
Rafiki    pirate
23/01/2013 at 15:10

Smoothswim says its talking about the initial catch, which suggests to bend the wrist. The piece you posted from  Triathlete Europe says don't bend the wrist durng the catch.....which is what confuse little old me. Either way I'm still crap

M...eldy    pirate
23/01/2013 at 18:37

Either way I am still awesome   

M...eldy    pirate
23/01/2013 at 18:39

To clarify for those pondering, there will always be a difference in styles and advice as shown above, but I do think that they agree on the main muscle groups so once you can isolate them and use them properly then you begin to make inroads ... the lower your legs the more drag you are having to pull though behind you, if you wont work on your core and position in the water then you might as well be swimming in your pyjamas  

23/01/2013 at 18:45

Blog update if anyone wants to be bored out of their skulls

http://jeffsironmanjourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-2013-tri-season-is-here.html

23/01/2013 at 21:20
Doing ok there Yank, good luck with the Tri.

45 min run tonight, followed by an hours swim. Unfortunately i'd forgotten all the advice in the posts by the time i'd got to the pool, so just swam up and down for 84 lengths holding people up.
M...eldy    pirate
23/01/2013 at 21:35

As long as you were making someones life a misery then that sure counts Sossige !!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
23/01/2013 at 21:57

Swim swum this afternoon, 1hr15min on turbo tonight

I am now off for a hot bath with Holgs and a glass of wine 

24/01/2013 at 10:35

Nice to have your back IY, your spreadsheet is both a source of joy and pain now I'ma acutally using it.

Joy because it'd dead easy and works like a charm.

Pain because it points out in no uncertain terms that I've been a slacker of late, although at least I can tell I'm an all round slacker rather than avoiding any one thing!

24/01/2013 at 12:07

Speaking of that sheet, the Budgie Lewis told me it had some errors so be sure to cross-reference with the Fink book now and again to make sure you're doing the right workout.  He might have an error free version that he fixed himself.

FoC
24/01/2013 at 16:17

Meldy - Swam at lunch and spent much of the 2k really trying to focus on engaging my core throughout the stroke. 

"pull in the belly button, enagage core, head lower in the water & take a breath in the bow wave" - simple really

Things were much easier  10 - 15 years ago when I ran nothing but 200m & 400m on the track!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
24/01/2013 at 17:32

1 hour treadmill run done.

I think I may have to do some investigating of running shoes, mine are rubbing my instep (left foot only).  I had this problem with a few pairs I tried when I first started running, and it took me a while to find the right pair - Mizuno.  However, when I bought my current pair, whaddyaknow, the design of the Mizunos had been tweaked for the latest model and I couldn't wear them.
Maybe I just need to try some different insoles.  Or tape up my foot, although I do put a dressing on it and it doesn't seem to help. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.