Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,661 to 7,680 of 10,128 messages
M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 17:40

Yank ... Cologne would be on my list as well if you get the chance

Fraggle !!   Dont you pick up the injury gauntlet
Nursey .. why was it pants, what went wrong?

1hr swim, 45 min turbo and 1hr gym work for me ... fair knackered!!

30/01/2013 at 18:00

IY - If you have the time, perhaps a stop over in Dublin or one of the Channel Islands?

NR - I had a crappy swim yesterday too.  A different coach took the session and I didn't gel with her or the advice to "enter the water thumb first" which is contary to all other such advice.  So looking back, I let myself get "bothered" which resulted in a regression of the stroke.

As for today I polished off another set of "return to running" drills which consisted of 6 x 5 mins with 30secs walking between each rep.  Felt great with no reaction or pain from the newly reshaped joint.

60 mins on the rollers await before like SD, I will be consuming a curry!

30/01/2013 at 18:57

What is the best way around the UK? Rent a car and risk killing myself on the other side of the road? Trains? A cheapie airline like Ryanair?

M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:19

Bike?  

M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:21

In all seriousness, it depends how far you are wanting to go
Are you wanting specific places and times
Are you wanting to be free to roam?

The trains can be cheap if booked in advance but you are tied to date and time
Cheap airlines for longer distance travel - less luggage ??
Hire car .. yes possibly as it leaves you free to act on whim

iron fraggle    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:38

Melds - what do you mean don't pick up the injury gauntlet, too bloody late!!  It *is* feeling a bit less sore today, so at least I can see progress already

M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:50

Stretch and roll and dont forget the calfs !!

30/01/2013 at 19:51

I'm a Type A Melds so...I'm more of a specific plan it out type.  My wife is more of an on the fly type.  Just thinking out loud I was thinking arrive in Amsterdam, head over to my pal's house in Rotterdam, spent a couple days in Holland.  Then perhaps go into Paris then over to the UK.  But as I said, Holland is so close to everything, I'm wondering if I should hit Germany or Belgium as well.  Of course, I need to be in the UK for Boxing Day for some football.  So once I get to the UK, do we rent a car and explore? Take a train and a ferry over to Ireland after the footie?

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 19:52
iron fraggle    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:52

Melds I have done my physio exercises like a good girl

iron fraggle    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:54

IY - if you're going to be in Holland, then nip over to Germany and visit one of the Christmas markets. we did this year and much mulled wine and sausage was consumed

M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 19:55

Good girl 

Yank, sounds like some list writing & planning needed  !!

30/01/2013 at 20:00

You see Melds, that requires work. I just want my new travel agent who goes by the handle M...eldy to plan it all out!

M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:03

Oh dear!!

WildWill    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:03
IY .. I needed to tell you .. The best part of he UK is the north .., for a start the south is full of southerners
Edited: 30/01/2013 at 20:03
M...eldy    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:13

Watchit Willum!!!!

30/01/2013 at 20:31

North? As in Manchester and such or that country filled with Scots? (I'm actually saying the line from Braveheart out loud )

30/01/2013 at 20:36
IY, what sort of things do you want to see in Europe? That would determine where best to go.
IronCat5    pirate
30/01/2013 at 20:39

So Holland is about the height of Massachusetts, and very thin.

• Land at Amsterdam, overnight to experience, then off to Rotters.
  • Drive South to Aachen (Dutch border) to a Christmas market. Stay overnight.
  • Drive to Belgium for piss up on 10% beer.
  • Day after: drive to Paris via Luxembourg or drive back to AMS then fly to Paris.
  • Fly from Paris to London.

Job done!

30/01/2013 at 21:23

Perhaps I have a new travel agent.  Has the Cat usurped Melds?

I'd like to see some places I haven't seen.  I especially like to experience things I can't experience on this side of the pond, which I know is getting more difficult with globalization.  I also have to think about my daughter, who has only been to Sweden in Europe so most everything will be new to her.  The Christmas market sounds interesting. 

Would it be worth a drive from AMS to Paris to enjoy the sights or is just as easy/cost effective to hop a flight?

30/01/2013 at 21:35
" I especially like to experience things I can't experience on this side of the pond"

Plenty of culture over here
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.