Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,801 to 7,820 of 10,139 messages
07/02/2013 at 18:22

((((((fraggle))))))

NR - if you go and see someone then get a recommendation, sometimes orthotics or whatever can make things worse

my knee is really playing up so very little training here, even the turbo was a bit painful this morning. Could go swimming but I am shattered now, work is just knackering at the moment.

Britrisky    pirate
07/02/2013 at 18:36
Rest, MC - listen to what your body is telling you. Work's been a bit much for me this week and training has taken a hit, but life's like that, sometimes.
07/02/2013 at 20:33
Evening all.

45 min bike tonight, hit the hills again. Climbed 594ft
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
07/02/2013 at 21:36
Sorry about the cat fraggle, it's always a difficult decision to make even if you know it's for the best for the loved one but hard on the family

Training going well, really very hard work with all else that's going on but sticking with the plan - had my second treadmill VO2 max last night, that's my third VO2 max in a month (one on the bike) - rather annoyingly I've gained weight and mac result went down slightly... Very frustrating - hoping the weight starts dropping soon!
08/02/2013 at 08:31

Sorry to hear about the cat, Fraggle.  

Good training, folks.  Swam with NEWT again last night, did a mile in the hour.  Also did a hard turbo session yesterday.  Haven't run for a week, but not too worried, giving toe time to heal.  Maybe a short, hard ride tomorrow, then a longer one Sunday with the club.

Have a great weekend everyone! 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
08/02/2013 at 12:13

Swim swum, 45 mins, 70 steady lengths.  Then a luvverly sauna .  Just necking a couple of peanut butter sandwiches before heading out on t'bike.

08/02/2013 at 18:14

Still in Fink base period over here.  The kid's hockey (ice that is) schedule hasn't made the weekend very training friendly lately so working around it the best I can.  The Budgie and I are also laying the groundwork for Ironman Couer D'Alene 2014 with a trip to Glacier National Park to follow.  Every time I look at hiking maps and such I chuckle to myself imagining two dudes post-Ironman doing the limp of honor while trying to hike around such a beautiful place.

M...eldy    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:20

Evening gang
I appear to havehad a rest day

Oops 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:25

I dunno, just can't get the mentors these days.......................

M...eldy    pirate
08/02/2013 at 18:52

Why have a dog and bark yourself   

08/02/2013 at 19:01

Evening all.  Ran 30 mins yesterday with no pain or reaction.  Looks like the rehab work following my ankle operation in mid November is almost complete!

Spent all of today on my feet at a trade fair so I'm really rather beat.  That said I did put in a 30min endurance TRX session when I got home.  

I may treat myself to a beer this evening in celebration

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 19:02
08/02/2013 at 22:57

Trying not to wibble. Heard ladies from 2 lanes better than me at the club swim session worrying about completing an olympic distance swim.

Must learn to not let others concerns put me off. Big hairy goals are where it's at!

08/02/2013 at 23:11

IY, still in Fink base here too, but learning very quickly that real life intrudes.  Sticking to it where I can, but adapting where I can't.

09/02/2013 at 02:01

I was very anal during my first IM prep about making sure I did every training session.  In the run up to number two I realized that missing a day because of a rain storm or just needing a mental health day wasn't the end of the world.  Not that I'd recommend missing a full week or something like that but missing a couple days a month isn't going to derail the ultimate goal of that shiny medal.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 02:02
09/02/2013 at 08:06

Ali - don't worry, it isn't about how quick you are just about being able to keep going, so the fact that they are 2 lanes up from you has no bearing. Maybe they have never entered any kind of event before so the fact that they are doing an event is big enough to make them worry!

IronCat5    pirate
09/02/2013 at 09:26

Ali - what MC said. Our fastest guys often do 4km in their hour's set. They'd wibble when faced with a 3.8km swim followed by the B/R!

DTT - again, what IY said. I was fairly anal, but learnt to swap sessions around. For the first 10 weeks I swam on a Mon to give me a lie in Tue morning, It got easier when lighter out. I'd often be found at a hotel breakfast Tuesday AM with Fink working out my real week on a napkin.

I reckon it's about doing what you can in the week, then hitting the bike bike/run mileage on the weekend. The week bike/run is more about ticking over than quality.

09/02/2013 at 10:12

It dosent matter how quick you are. I'm a plodder & proud

However, just smashed my park run PB to bits which feels good. This week i've knocked off 58 seconds. Thats about 90 seconds off in two weeks.

23.08 is my new time.

Either all the training is paying off or i just wasnt trying hard enough before

IronCat5    pirate
09/02/2013 at 10:19
SausageDog wrote (see)

It dosent matter how quick you are. I'm a plodder & proud

However, just smashed my park run PB to bits which feels good. This week i've knocked off 58 seconds. Thats about 90 seconds off in two weeks.

23.08 is my new time.

Either all the training is paying off or i just wasnt trying hard enough before

w00p w00p That's great SD. Have you had more rest this week? Or did you just run for fun today?Or go all out?

Nurse Ratched    pirate
09/02/2013 at 11:22

SD, Bolt should be worried!  Great running.

Good to have some chat on here about relaxing a wee bit over sticking to the plan.  As the other members of Team Meldy will testify, I've been having a wibbly week because I've had to juggle sessions and not been able to do as much as I'd planned.  A little reassurance goes a long way 

09/02/2013 at 11:43

Nice one SD

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.