Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,881 to 7,900 of 10,128 messages
M...eldy    pirate
13/02/2013 at 22:54

almost .. Hope  

Sossige you and I need to have words !!!

14/02/2013 at 10:29

SD is a dead dog walking!

Did salute sets at swimming last night, total revelation but very achey arms today. I appear to have been swimming so far without using either my arms or legs, typical for me. Upside it I might actually make the cut offs if I start using them.

14/02/2013 at 11:52

Meldy – the rehab work for the ankle looked like the following:

(For context, I had a ankle athroscopy towards the middle of November during which I had a few bone spurs and loose bits of bone removed from the joint.)

21st December ’12 – Easy Plyometrics (3 times a day, 7 days a week)

-          Run on the spot x 20 secs into

-          Jumping jacks x 20 secs into

-          Rapid calf raises x 50

-          Swim & Cycle as normal

11th Jan ’13 – Prepration for Running                    

-          Fri 11th: Treadmill / Sprung floor run : 5 x 2 mins at 6 min / km (30 secs recovery)

-          Sat 12th: As above  8 x 2 mins

-          Sun 13th: As above 8 x 2 mins

-          Mon 14th: As above 10 x 2 mins

-          Tue 15th: As above 10 x 2 mins

-          Two days rest

18th Jan ’13 – 11th Feb ’13 – Running Build Phase

-          6 sessions per week Treadmill / Sprung floor (6 min / km)

-          Mon: 5 x 4 mins (30 sec recovery)

-          Tue: 4 x 5 mins

-          Wed: 3 x 7 mins

-          Thur: 2 x 10

-          Fri: 15 min 

-          Sat: 20 min

12th  Feb – 30 min test run (6min / km)

Essentially the plan was to build up the time spent on my feet - slowly slowy does it. 

Seems to have worked a treat.

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 11:54
14/02/2013 at 13:42

Someones turned me into a sausagefrog??

Sorry melds, only joking

iron fraggle    pirate
14/02/2013 at 15:10

totally lazy week for me so far. Kids are on half term (I'm not) so Granny Frag is here to help out, and I'm finding it hard to get out to do anything. Have done some turbo-ing, kettlebells class, and the pjysio says I can try and run on the x-trainer and outside  (though to start with a run-walk programme).  I'm on half term now, so next week when the boys are back at school, it will be a tiring swim/bike/run-walk fest

and it's No 2 so's birthday today so it's pizza night

M...eldy    pirate
14/02/2013 at 16:44

Donkey .. thanks that seems to follow a similar plan to what I have seen before, just interested  

Sossige .. I thought you always looked like a frog?  !!

I didnt swim 10k Spoons, I ran instead 

Britrisky    pirate
14/02/2013 at 17:30

fraggle - its reassuring to hear (?) you say that. Its been just the same for me this week. I reckon I have more time for training working full-time than being on holiday!

Never thought I'd say this, but I need work for the structure - 

14/02/2013 at 19:00

Donkey - think I need to copy that plan into word for when my knee starts playing again. Been to a consultant today and being referred for an mri. So it is going to be all about the bike and swim for me for a while longer

half term for me next week, although OH is having the week off too, so I will get time to train, just need to make sure I am not tempted to overdo it!

M...eldy    pirate
14/02/2013 at 21:33

Mathschick when I get a second i'll post the one that I use as well .. very similar

14/02/2013 at 23:07

Great swim again tonight.  Feel great improvements.  Over a mile this evening in a series of sets.  

M...eldy    pirate
14/02/2013 at 23:18

Nice swimming Tim !

iron fraggle    pirate
15/02/2013 at 13:46

woo-hoo i've been *out* on my road bike today    seems like I've been turbo-ing or on my mtb for ages, so it's great to get out there in the sunshine

x-training in the form of bowling this afternoon (No2 son's birthday party), and longer ride tomorrow, and I may try a run/walk on sunday.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:07

Good training folks.

The sun is shining here and it's above freezing, so looks good for a pleasant run tomorrow and biking outdoors on Sunday.
Back to tri club tonight, after an absence of *cough, mumble, mutter* weeks.

Question - a friend asked the other day if I ever listened to music while doing a long swim.  It had never occurred to me to do that.  Do any of you?

Rafiki    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:13

nope, the cable on the headphones isn't long enough

But I was actually look at the new Sony thing they advertise on here, but I think it would just get int the way?!?

Another thing to remember, part of doing an IM is being able to get through 12 - 17 hours of racing, without musical distraction etc, so maybe best not to get use to in all training..??

15/02/2013 at 14:15

I'm with you Raf. I hardly ever train with music as I know the big day will be music free.  There are plenty of spectators and other athletes normally to distract you.

15/02/2013 at 14:26

I too have never listened to music while swimming.  For starters my local pool doesn't allow it on the grounds that doing so reduces a persons spatial awareness and therefore presents a danger to themselves and others (the pools reason, not mine).

I'm not sure I would listen to music even if I could.  Aside from echoing the points made above, I'd probably loose focus on technique, my form in the water would suffer making a less productive session than it could have been.  Just my thinking on the matter, of course others may use the music to focus and for motivation etc etc.

Rafiki    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:29

Plus the sound quality is bound to be crap!!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:31

Yep, my thoughts too.  I've no intention of buying a swim mp3, and am weaning myself off running outdoors with music.  Thankfully, I have a high boredom threshold and an over-active imagination, and have no problem zooming off to Planet Nursey 

15/02/2013 at 22:22
Well then. A little jog around the Thames Valley towpath at lunch before a 2k swim this evening. Pool empty for the whole session, just me myself and a very bored teenage life guard.

Another 400m PB tonight too with an additional 45s off which gives me a new total of 6:42 for the distance. Am sooooo happy given a few weeks ago things were going quite badly pool side. The key to the improvement was to focus on the core - engage it and focus on keeping the hips level. I believe the advice came from here so for that, many thanks!

Time for a quick read (some chap called IronHolgs and his 2nd book) before a night of broken sleep. Emerging toddler enamel has a lot to answer for. Damn you molars. Damn youuuuuuuu!
M...eldy    pirate
16/02/2013 at 00:17

Donkey thats some good swimming there ... you are  dangerously close to my pb  

1hr swim for me
1hr core & weights
1.30hrs running and drills and skipping and hopping and jumping

10 hrs at work

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.