Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,901 to 7,920 of 10,137 messages
iron fraggle    pirate
15/02/2013 at 13:46

woo-hoo i've been *out* on my road bike today    seems like I've been turbo-ing or on my mtb for ages, so it's great to get out there in the sunshine

x-training in the form of bowling this afternoon (No2 son's birthday party), and longer ride tomorrow, and I may try a run/walk on sunday.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:07

Good training folks.

The sun is shining here and it's above freezing, so looks good for a pleasant run tomorrow and biking outdoors on Sunday.
Back to tri club tonight, after an absence of *cough, mumble, mutter* weeks.

Question - a friend asked the other day if I ever listened to music while doing a long swim.  It had never occurred to me to do that.  Do any of you?

Rafiki    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:13

nope, the cable on the headphones isn't long enough

But I was actually look at the new Sony thing they advertise on here, but I think it would just get int the way?!?

Another thing to remember, part of doing an IM is being able to get through 12 - 17 hours of racing, without musical distraction etc, so maybe best not to get use to in all training..??

15/02/2013 at 14:15

I'm with you Raf. I hardly ever train with music as I know the big day will be music free.  There are plenty of spectators and other athletes normally to distract you.

FoC
15/02/2013 at 14:26

I too have never listened to music while swimming.  For starters my local pool doesn't allow it on the grounds that doing so reduces a persons spatial awareness and therefore presents a danger to themselves and others (the pools reason, not mine).

I'm not sure I would listen to music even if I could.  Aside from echoing the points made above, I'd probably loose focus on technique, my form in the water would suffer making a less productive session than it could have been.  Just my thinking on the matter, of course others may use the music to focus and for motivation etc etc.

Rafiki    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:29

Plus the sound quality is bound to be crap!!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
15/02/2013 at 14:31

Yep, my thoughts too.  I've no intention of buying a swim mp3, and am weaning myself off running outdoors with music.  Thankfully, I have a high boredom threshold and an over-active imagination, and have no problem zooming off to Planet Nursey 

FoC
15/02/2013 at 22:22
Well then. A little jog around the Thames Valley towpath at lunch before a 2k swim this evening. Pool empty for the whole session, just me myself and a very bored teenage life guard.

Another 400m PB tonight too with an additional 45s off which gives me a new total of 6:42 for the distance. Am sooooo happy given a few weeks ago things were going quite badly pool side. The key to the improvement was to focus on the core - engage it and focus on keeping the hips level. I believe the advice came from here so for that, many thanks!

Time for a quick read (some chap called IronHolgs and his 2nd book) before a night of broken sleep. Emerging toddler enamel has a lot to answer for. Damn you molars. Damn youuuuuuuu!
M...eldy    pirate
16/02/2013 at 00:17

Donkey thats some good swimming there ... you are  dangerously close to my pb  

1hr swim for me
1hr core & weights
1.30hrs running and drills and skipping and hopping and jumping

10 hrs at work

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Nurse Ratched    pirate
16/02/2013 at 07:28

Great swim with the club last night, hard work and came out of the pool smiling.

I am a creature of the night.  Whose bright idea was it to run at this hour of the morning?  It took me 4 attempts to type the word 'club' in the first sentence.

Coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nurse Ratched    pirate
16/02/2013 at 07:29
IronDonkey wrote (see)
 Emerging toddler enamel has a lot to answer for. Damn you molars. Damn youuuuuuuu!

Humans are badly designed.  Have you tried giving the wee one teething powders?

16/02/2013 at 08:07

great swiming ID

off to the masters session this morning for another hard session they are very nice to me though

FoC
16/02/2013 at 08:59

NR - Not tried those.  Will look into that later today.  Thanks for the tip.  Teething, knee joints, myopia - all could have been worked through prior to manufacture.

MC - thanks!  I'm a big big fan of my masters class.  Have learned alot.

16/02/2013 at 09:17
Morning all, looks like training is going well for most.

Decent week, training still going ok for me. Acquired a pair of Newton trainers for a tenner yesterday, only 20 miles on the clock. Thought i'd give them a try this morning.

Food intake has been a bit naughty this week. Had a valentines day KFC bargain bucket on Thursday. I did have a dozen roses sent to her work so that was the romantic thing i did then had a pizza. So, been a bit naughty but hey ho, tasted good.

So little run then a 2 hour bike for me this morning.

Have a fun day folks.
16/02/2013 at 11:42

SD - be interesting to see what you think of the newtons. I am trying to move to a more forefoot/midfoot strike and was wondering what the newtons would be like

not that I can actually run at the moment - I am guessing for run/walking they might not be ideal so am waiting till I can run properly again!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
16/02/2013 at 12:10

ID, these worked well for my two. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
16/02/2013 at 12:18

Well, I have had a fantastic morning running with Partner in Crime and our sherpa.  1hr 47min,  slower than I would have liked but that matters not a toss because - a. That's the longest run I've ever done, and b. It's the first time I've got to that pont in a run where my legs are saying "right, that's enough now", and I haven't slowed right down and lost the will, instead I just gritted my teeth and kept going.  I am proud of my wee self 

Rafiki    pirate
16/02/2013 at 12:24

Well done Nursey!

As for Newtons - I started using some a couple of years ago, and did change from heal strike to mid foot strike - which I now prefer. But now I'm used to mid foot running, I find my Newtons really uncomfortable! I now use Inov-8 minimalist range and find them great. Changing to mid foot needs to be done slowly as it rips the hell out fo your calf muscles!!

iron fraggle    pirate
16/02/2013 at 14:26

Nice one Nursey  

2 hours out on the bike for me, I've just inhaled my lunch and am off for a soak in the bath  to warm up

FoC
16/02/2013 at 16:43

Thanks NR.  Will give that there powder a shot.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.