Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

7,941 to 7,960 of 10,139 messages
17/02/2013 at 07:04

Morning. Funnily enough I was talking to the guy in our local running shop and minimalist shoes. He's a good, long time runner. His words included: useless and rip-off.....

17/02/2013 at 07:05

He did say that most shoes were too heavy and thick soled as well. Something in between was his suggestion. 

Rafiki    pirate
17/02/2013 at 08:16

They are certainly a rip off - you do seem to pay as much, if not more, for less - but then thats supply and demand I guess. As for useless - each to their own, but I'm firmly in the barefoot, mid foot stike camp having studied evolution biology for years. Evolutionary wise, we're design as long distance runners, with perfect mechanical balance for landing mid foot. The R and D guys at Nike are good, but they'll never beat 2 million years of Mother Nature!! So you don't need anything more than a minimalist shoe.

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 08:20
17/02/2013 at 08:34

Firmly in the mid to bareeefoot camp too which I put down to having "grown up" in the sport from a 400m / 800m back ground.  Never a heel strike to be had there which is perhaps why I haven't had any calf issues which often seem to be reported for people new to this particular style of running.

I tend to cycle between Newtons for the longer stuff and the Inov8 / New Balance models for the short, faster runs.  

17/02/2013 at 10:15

when my knee is sorted I am going to have a trip to sweatshop and try loads of different shoes! 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/02/2013 at 10:20

My legs are aware that they did a bit of running yesterday, but feelin' good and looking forward to a couple of hours on the bike.  It's a beautiful day here.

IronCat5    pirate
17/02/2013 at 11:01

Most trainers are a rip, especially when you see how cheaply a pair of spikes or racing flats can be had for...

Rafiki    pirate
17/02/2013 at 11:30

friend of mine used to be manager of a well know 'running shop' and he told me once the mark up on average pair of Nike Air Pegasus . I'm in the wrong business!!

17/02/2013 at 13:38
Yep, they are all a rip off considering how much they cost to make.

Since ive been trying to run correctly, in the way our bodies are designed to do i have experienced no knee pain. A problem i have had for years. Calves are a bit sore but thats part of the transition to my new running form.

Big old cushioned trainers are apparently one of the biggest causes of bad knees etc.

If a more minimalist shoe helps me run injury and pain free i'm happy to pay a premium. Mind you, the Newtons i acquired this week currently cost ??90 new. My Saucony's cost more than that so i dont think theres much in it

Born to run & chirunning are good books to read for those interested in this sort of thing.

9 mile run done this morning.

1 hour swim this evening.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/02/2013 at 14:51

25 miles done on the bike, 1hr 47mins. Must be something about that time this weekend ...

17/02/2013 at 18:11

After spending my teenage years, twenties and early thirties running track in spikes and road running in lightweight shoes I ended up ten years ago with a stress fracture in my shin which took me out of any running for a year. Plenty of cushioning and decent insoles for me these days. I'm old(er) now and my legs are shot, I'll be slow whatever I have on my feet!

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/

M...eldy    pirate
17/02/2013 at 18:55

Nice one Nursey  

I cleaned 2 bikes  !

17/02/2013 at 19:09

Nice one all!

I rebuilt a bike that's been in a flight case since I took it out to Alpe D'Huez in July of last year!  

Productive.

17/02/2013 at 19:43

Fell off my bike.  Ouch!  Amazing how road rash can still get you through shorts AND tights without damaging the clothing.  Bike OK, rider bruised ego.  Jumped back on and finished 2 hour hilly ride, 32 miles.

17/02/2013 at 20:56

Weekly update

http://clearseaz-timetogetfit.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/ironman-uk-training-week-6.html

Hope your ok mate? Go steady, dont want to lose my wingman before Bolton!!

17/02/2013 at 20:59
ctpotato wrote (see)

After spending my teenage years, twenties and early thirties running track in spikes and road running in lightweight shoes 

Spent most of my twenties drunk,  thirties drying out, forties becoming a triathlete & hopefully an ironman in 24 weeks time

M...eldy    pirate
17/02/2013 at 21:02

You'll be a bit sore in the morning I reckon Tim, take it steady

18/02/2013 at 08:03

Tim - hope you are ok!

SD - I also spent most of my twenties drunk (and other substances) thirties pilling on the weight having kids, forties pretending to be a runner/triathlete

Ironholgs    pirate
18/02/2013 at 08:55

MA

Hope that you are ok Tim.

I had a busy weekend at the Bike and Tri show in Mancland.Had over 100 people at both talks. Was good fun but am knackered. Nice to meet Bitrisky, Razor, Horse and a few other pirates......but sorry to tell you Meldy that no one slapped me

18/02/2013 at 12:29

Hope you're all okay this morning Tim.

Cara has just had a thorough clean and lube up. Looking nice and shiny now Hopefully she'll run a bit smoother now! I know it's supposed to be a rest day, but a quick 10 miler is needed to 'test' her out again.

It'd be rude not to, right?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.