Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

8,021 to 8,040 of 10,128 messages
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 12:54

I have just seen a tweet by Jodie Swallow who has done 10 x 600 and I thought that was extreme enough
I guess thats why they are at the top of their game and we are nowhere near them

The Silent Assassin    pirate
22/02/2013 at 13:15

Is the training thread for this year then?

If so I have just written my training plan and like all good training plans it starts with a rest day, just as well, knackered I am after all that writing

WildWill    pirate
22/02/2013 at 13:19

ive done a couple of 10k's open water 

but the longest ive done in a pool is 7.5k (as WU, 7x1k, WD)

But then i'm a fan of long swims rather than short intervals

Edited: 22/02/2013 at 13:20
22/02/2013 at 13:33

Gift from my OH.  A new book by the Finks.  Some weekend reading

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/436672/gallery/fink_0.jpg?width=350

Edited: 22/02/2013 at 13:36
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 13:47
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

Is the training thread for this year then?

If so I have just written my training plan and like all good training plans it starts with a rest day, just as well, knackered I am after all that writing

Welcome aboard SA !

22/02/2013 at 14:04

interesting about the pull buoy - I am loads faster with one, but that just points out to me how bad my leg position and kick are. Being a bit of a perfectionist I would like to swim well with and without a wetsuit so I will persevere, but might have one swim ever so often just with a pull-buoy for fun!

that book looks good ID - might treat myself!

22/02/2013 at 14:17
ID, is that Melds on the front cover?
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 14:20

Only in my dreams Sossige ....

no broomstick .. before you say it  

22/02/2013 at 14:22
I dont bother with kicking too much when i'm swimming. Probably explains some of my slowness. I have enough trouble coordinating two arms let alone two legs as well.

Going to concentrate on this billateral breathng for now. Apparently this will really help with my rotation & keeping me more symetrical. Once ive nailed that, can look at using the spare limbs more
22/02/2013 at 14:23
Thanks for spoiling the fantasy
22/02/2013 at 14:23

Speaking of kick....

I've been getting lessons over the past couple of months. I've never had any official swim training but grew up around the Great Lakes (in the USA) so never had an issue with being in danger of drowning or whatever.  I was advised by other Ironpeople to "save your legs" and minimize the kick as you'll want your legs on the bike and in the run.  My coach brought up a very interstesting point.  In the couple weeks leading up to IMKY, my home event, the pros will often stop by our swim center to train.  She says you never see them just dragging their legs along.  They all have a good kick.  

So if the pros think it's important to kick, why not the rest of us?  Not that you want to have a 100 mph kick for 90 minutes but you do want to help propel yourself along and keep a good flat body position.  As I was once told: head down, ass up.  It's much harder to swim if you're dragging your legs.

M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 14:27

I would concentrate on the bilateral breathing as you sya, once you have that metronomic pace going you will find that the kicking kind of follows suit, that coupled wiith the fact that your legs have a hell of a lot of work to do afterwards as Yank as alluded to above as well !

Nurse Ratched    pirate
22/02/2013 at 15:16

I find my legs do their own wee kick without me thinking about it, probably more for position rather than propulsion tho'.

Just back from biking, Garmin says: 24.35miles in 1hr 47min. Average speed 13.6mph, cadence 79.  Happy enough with that.  
I love malt loaf!  Now need a Speedfil so I can drink without crashing. 

22/02/2013 at 16:08

IY, I find it impossible to not kick to be honest, if only to keep my legs from sinking.  But I try not to kick too hard, just long slow kicks.

iron fraggle    pirate
22/02/2013 at 16:11

back from a chilly hour on on the bike with mr Frag , struggled on the hills today, legs said 'no'   (everything aches so i think I overdid it with the kettlebells yesterday!)

Swimming ; well I find I can work harder when using a pull-buoy, but when I try to go faster/work harder without one, then my form goes wrong, I lose rhythm and i struggle more

Rafiki    pirate
22/02/2013 at 17:12

Well in an attempt to 'fix' this dam calf strain I've had for a couple of weeks, my physio resorted to acupuncture yesterday. I've never had it before, and was a little sceptical to say the least. But, amazingly, it seems to have worked. Basically the muscle has been tight and in spasm for 2 weeks and no amount of massage would relax it for more than 5 mins. But stick half a dozen pins in for 15 mins and there's a huge improvement. No idea how it works, but ...... ??

22/02/2013 at 18:02

If you need any more pins stuck in you Raf I volunteer my service, I have a box of drawing pins around here somewhere 

M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2013 at 18:19

I've had accupuncture before now and strangely that worked then as well !

I have run for an hour and I think my nose might fall off, beeejeesus its cold out there

iron fraggle    pirate
22/02/2013 at 18:24

I've had acupuncture on my back and that worked; I can understand how it works on muscles/nerves, etc , but as to how it's supposed to 'cure' Glandular fever and similar conditions I don;t know

Rafiki    pirate
22/02/2013 at 18:26
BrokeButTri'ng wrote (see)

If you need any more pins stuck in you Raf I volunteer my service, I have a box of drawing pins around here somewhere 

That's very kind of you! But you'll need bigger pins me thinks - I'm sure the guy was using 6 inch nails yesterday!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.