Another Ironman journey

8,821 to 8,840 of 10,137 messages
17/04/2013 at 22:50

Sigh.

18/04/2013 at 07:28

Bah

WildWill    pirate
18/04/2013 at 07:53

Iv woken up with a very sore and stiff ankle this morning after last nights long run. I think it's the tendon that runs down the outside

Ive managed to walk it off quite quickly, but its's been probleming be all week.

So

I think next week could be a bike and swim focussed week  

On a plus side

My knee which has been giving me gip since December ... now seem to be 90% there 

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 07:55
Rafiki    pirate
18/04/2013 at 10:49
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I head on R2 that it was toad time.

for those extremely observant of you doing Henley, look out for the 'toad tunnels' under the road just as you come out of T1....now there's something to look forward to during the 3.8k swim!!

Works been mental this week (which in a way is good being self employed and all) but has left little time for training - 18 hour days and living off crap food - not sure which is more responsible for the constant feeling of lack of energy!!

18/04/2013 at 14:15

Felt lethargic again all morning but hopped on the turbo lunchtime for an hour, feeling much better now.  Swimming tonight.  And .... is that sun I see?

18/04/2013 at 14:50

Need some advice/opinions.

Been struggling with hot spots/sometimes blisters on the inside of the balls of my feet for nearly a year.  Have always used some sort of lube on my feet for longer runs.  Bodyglide, for example.

Prescription 1:  Feet have shrunk with a massive weight loss.  So went from a size 13 US to a size 12.5.  Not much help.  This also came with a shoe change.  Went from ASICS to Nike Lunarglide+ 4s.

Prescription 2:  Insoles.  My local running shop, whom I trust, had me stand on my bare feet on the insoles that came with the shoes and suggested Superfeet insoles for stability.  Seemed to work for a while but not much change the last week or so.

Prescription 3:  Bodyglide sucks! Use something like 2Toms Sportshield, which comes in baby wipe style form.  I admit to liking the application better than Bodyglide but still not much change on the feet.

Prescription 4:  Better socks.  Tried some double layer Wright Socks that are made specifically for blistering, but after about 6 miles in them over 3 shorter runs, I can feel a hot spot on my right foot especially.

There is a nice callous formed there so not sure if I should perhaps try a stone to remove it after a nice long soak or will that just leave me tender as the callous is there for a reason?

Just looking for advice/suggestions.

18/04/2013 at 15:58

I get a blister on my one foot where it rubs a piece of plastic, I tried using body glide but this didn't do anything to help, so I use compede blister plasters which are great and stay on for a while, unless you go in the pool.

As well as the above blister I started to get blisters/hop spots on other parts of both feet, eventually I realised that this started when I tightened the elasticated laces, since then I have loosened the laces and these hot spots have disappeared.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
18/04/2013 at 16:21

Yank, I have a couple of spots on my left foot which are prone to rubbing, and I use this stuff (with extra tape just to make sure it doesn't budge).  It works a treat.  Must be something similar in the US.  

Nurse Ratched    pirate
18/04/2013 at 16:25
M...eldy wrote (see)

3 weeks Sossige ????      I think its time I set Nursey on you

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/497331/gallery/images-29_0.jpeg?width=350

Just say the word, Melds.

19/04/2013 at 05:29
I'll be good, promise.
WildWill    pirate
19/04/2013 at 08:50

Ay up all

Yesterday for me Wk6 D 4 

was a rest. day...

my dad was in hospital for op and i just wanted to get home ... so took mid week rest so i could start my comute early 

19/04/2013 at 12:54

Hope your old mans ok Will.

Tired Badger    pirate
19/04/2013 at 13:09

Yes hope things are okay Will, 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
19/04/2013 at 13:49

Hope all's well Will.

2.5k swim this morning, 59:08.  
Coffee in the garden this afternoon.  Might take my long johns off if this keeps up.

Ironholgs    pirate
19/04/2013 at 15:18

Hope things are ok Will.

Iron Yank - I've used Super Feet for years, they really do take some bedding in and with every new pair I suffer with blisters for a month or two and then I'm fine.

19/04/2013 at 15:42

Hope everything works out, Will.

Good turbo session then a decent swim last night, an hour's run this morning.  Brief blip in training seems to have settled, although I won't be doing much this weekend (frustratingly).  Hoping for a long bike ride on Monday.

Have a great weekend all!  Good luck to any London runners.

Ironholgs    pirate
19/04/2013 at 15:45

Glad the blip has settled Tim.

iron fraggle    pirate
19/04/2013 at 16:02

Hello all,

have had a very stressful week, with no training as yet.

My uncle has had is brain Op, and so far so good, and he should be out on monday. I have done much driving about, lots of cleaning and sorting out of years of hoarded stuff, and many tip runs.

i'm now thinking that my accident on monday was worse than i thought. My head is still a little sore, but now the bruising has come out properly every where else, i look awful. i have two black eyes where my sunglasses whacked my eye sockets, and my backside is dark purple - honestly it looks like i've sat in some blackcurrent juice .

I might go for a run tomorrow, then (if I can face sitting on a saddle) a bike ride with the Mr on sunday - feel a bit nervous about going out on my own, but I think I need to man up and get on with it

19/04/2013 at 17:52
Good stuff Tim. Feeling happier myself today. Been a strange week this one.
All packed and ready to roll now. Heading down to london tomorrow morning.

You can track me at the london marathon here. My number is 27476 - http://results-2013.virginlondonmarathon.com/2013/ #VLMbestbits???

Good news on your uncle Fraggle, speedy recovery i hope. Yep, man up and crack on. You'll be fine.
19/04/2013 at 18:50

Blister update.

Decided to spin by the shop to talk to them about these issues, and went right after a run so they could see the hot spot in its fresh glory.  Had me try on several pairs of shoes:  Mizuno, New Balance, and the smaller size in the Asics I've always worn.  I was due for a new pair anyway so figured I would try to get the issue sorted out before I went with another pair of the Nikes.  

I guess hindsight is 20/20 as they say as I could feel an immediate difference in the Asics GT-2000s.  Since I started doing this 3-4 years ago, until last fall, I'd always worn Asics.  But when my size was smaller, I tried on (and did short test runs outside the shop) several different brands.  I couldn't tell much difference so went with the lower cost option.  Buy cheap buy twice? Hindsight is 20/20? Live and learn I guess.

Last bit of news.  I was already scheduled to do the Kentucky Derby Festival half-marathon next Saturday, the 27th, but several of my tri club buddies are upgrading to the full in order to honor the spirt of the Boston Marathon and apparently I agreed!  I know I can do the half no-sweat, but can I survive another 13.1?  We shall see.

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 18:56
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.