Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

8,881 to 8,900 of 10,137 messages
Rafiki    pirate
23/04/2013 at 09:54

I expect mistress M.eldy will know - but her judgement may be clouded by the fact she believes anyone would have the right to hit me

M...eldy    pirate
23/04/2013 at 10:01

I would say unless the pavement has marking which clearly state that it has ended (as you get with cycle paths et.c) then the veh is crossing the pavement which makes the person who is on the pavement the one with right of way. The driver of the veh should be taking due care and attention when crossing and joining the flow of traffic .... or put simply, have a bit of common sense !!

M...eldy    pirate
23/04/2013 at 10:03

Damn .... I missed Rafis post !!

23/04/2013 at 12:37

Halfway through IM UK training.  Better get serious!

23/04/2013 at 13:02
Can I officially call myself bilingual now? After reading these forums and Doggie's blog, I'm impressed I understand it all. "I was running near the petrol station on the pavement and a lorry nearly took me out but it hit a bin instead!"
Rafiki    pirate
23/04/2013 at 13:12

Very impressive IY! Next we'll have to work on spelling....colour, programme, .....

Nurse Ratched    pirate
23/04/2013 at 13:19

Just been out for a wee spin.  I was rather pleased at doing the first 12 miles in 40 mins, then I turned to head home and realised just why I had felt I was flying along.  The homeward half took an hour and 15 mins. Jeeeeezus, it's windy.  Having to pedal to get downhill is not a lot of fun.

Rafiki    pirate
23/04/2013 at 13:25

I know the feeling Nursey! One route I do takes in part of the Windsor Olly course - a long straight road. Its a great feeling flying down there at 26, 27 mph until you realise its wind assisted and its going to be one long hard slog back!!

FoC
23/04/2013 at 13:32

Good work everyone.  Sooo nice to see the sun once in a while.

Quick question.  As I've mentioned before, I'm planning on tackling the full distance in the summer of '14.  By then I'll be the proud Dad of a 3 and a half year old and, fingers crossed, another very small bundle of joy.

Has anyone any advice or experience of training for the full distance in similar circumstances?  I'm really interested in seeing how people cope with the training, the lack of sleep etc etc.

I'm of the mind that it's doable and that organisation will be key.  I'm also coming around to the view that I'll roll out a minimal training plan as proposed by Matt Fitzgerald et al which seems really interesting and very unlike anything I've done in the past.

Anyway - any advice as ever greatly received. 

iron fraggle    pirate
23/04/2013 at 13:39

Good luck Donkey! my kids are older so I can leave them for a an hour or so while i run or bike, i guess a turbo and dreadmill may have to be the answer ? or babyjogger so you can take one of them with you while you run? 

loving the sunshine today; am going for a run later while No2 son is warming up for diving, and I may have to dig the shorts out of the cupboard (and also apologise to the residents of Reading for the sight of my brilliant blue/white legs  )

Rafiki    pirate
23/04/2013 at 13:42

That's an intereting article ID - some of it makes sense! I like the bit  about the running, espcially as I've been inmjured unti recently so upped the bike to replace runs. I'll find out if it works in a little over 3 weeks!!

23/04/2013 at 15:17
IronDonkey wrote (see)

Has anyone any advice or experience of training for the full distance in similar circumstances?  I'm really interested in seeing how people cope with the training, the lack of sleep etc etc.

ID - I've kept an eye on this thread as doing my first IM distance event this year (9 weeks and counting...) and have a three and a half year old son, and daughter just turned two. Have done three HIM's in last two years whilst working full time as a bit of background to me!

For various reasons, my other half and I took the leap of both leaving work to re-train in other walks of life... has this presented the perfect opportunity to go for the full distance? I am now a stay-at-home dad, and I train in the evenings when Mrs MTH comes home from work as she wants time with the kids. Suits me, and then once a week (in the week) I go for a long bike ride whilst a set of grandparents have the kids for 3/4/5 hours; and train early morning, and late evening at the weekends to leave time for all of us on Sat/Sundays in the day.

What has struck me as under-estimated is the 'extra training' you get pushing the pushchair, carrying kids about, chucking them around etc in addition to your normal training (I follow Fink - but would definately cut this back to 22 or 24 weeks if did this mularky again)

Only my thoughts... and may be a load of rubbish as haven't completed the distance yet!

23/04/2013 at 17:02
Ive stuck to Fink pretty much bang on until a few weeks ago. I had to change the days around & ramp up the running to get ready for VLM though. I havent done the Fink swim drills or running in different zone business.

Difficult to say if i would do the same again until ive completed the IM. Although ive got Slateman in 4 weeks time, will probably be a good test on how my fitness has come on.

Definitely think the first 6 weeks was a bit pointless as i was already doing more than that anyway, so reducing the plan to 24 weeks wouldnt be a biggy, unless you were starting from nothing.

I'm know expert though.

Walking a bit easier today, although stairs are still a bit challenging
Nurse Ratched    pirate
23/04/2013 at 19:42

Just a thought SD ...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/497331/gallery/article-2305752-192c5a41000005dc-129_634x844.jpg?width=350

23/04/2013 at 20:08
Yes, just what i need
WildWill    pirate
23/04/2013 at 20:33
Evening all

Wk 7 D 2 for me

LUNCH TIME
- Swim ... Including a 2k TT @ 52 strokes per min ... 38:44

PM
- 2hrs spin
- 15mins core
24/04/2013 at 08:39

One hour run yesterday morning inc 5 x 3min hard.  Then a great swim with NEWT yesterday evening.  Feeling good this week, back in the saddle.

On Sunday I'm doing a recce ride for Blaeafon Triathlon.  Hills?  No, cliffs.

24/04/2013 at 17:11

Riding up cliffs DTT? That sounds exciting!

So, I'm Ill again... Is anyone else getting ill a lot ever since they've been training more?

It's getting really frustrating, I just don't know how to sort my immune system out. I take multivitamins, eat well and sleep well but I still come down with something every few weeks or so it seems.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to help at all? 

24/04/2013 at 18:06

I did Ironman UK last year and man was it an experience! No less because of the fact that I did it with a broken toe.

I've written some advice on how to deal with the day here:

http://www.megamindset.me/ironman-advice/

WildWill    pirate
24/04/2013 at 20:40
Evening all

Wk 7 D 3 .. For me ..

AM
- 50min spin ... Intervals session

PM
- 30min spin ... To de-stress after work
- 8k swim as 8x1000m ... About 9mins faster than last time .. And no cramp this time
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.