Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

9,001 to 9,020 of 10,137 messages
09/05/2013 at 10:11

SD nice to see you again. I did OK it went better than on Monday and I managed the 400 loop twice and the 90 loop several times. It's a bit daunting knowing I need to be doing 4 laps of the 800 meter loop pretty soon but I think I'll get there.

Could do with the lake warming up a bit though had to get out as lost all feeling in my right hand. Have also strained my neck again by craning around trying to figure out where the heck I was going!

So OK but lots more practise required for me.

WildWill    pirate
09/05/2013 at 10:26

I need to get into the open water this month .. sometime

But i cant recall where i left my wetsuit 

09/05/2013 at 12:30

Budgie, you need to be a Trianglia member (£16.50 i think) then its one voucher (£3) per session. Sessions are 8am - 10 am Saturday & 6pm - 8pm Wednesday.

Well done Ali. I just did 1 x 800m loop & then the 90m loop. I'll just keep increasing my distance by 400m each session untill i'm up to the 4 laps. Love the new format, means i have time for a cup of tea and a natter after my swim  It was all a bit rushed before with the hour sessions.

It was difficult to see the middle buoy on the way back. Everyone had sighting issues. I had to follow the bank in the end as i kept heading towards the wrong buoy. I think we may be able to put a red buoy out so its more visable going forwards.

09/05/2013 at 12:42

SD - I did a Whitlingham swim at the weekend. It was seriously cold. It took me 25 minutes before I could get my face in the water

09/05/2013 at 12:45

Well on Saturday morning I shall be swimming at Whitlingham the off for a 5 hr bike afterwards. Set the route up on garmin maps so could be interesting to see where I end up.

WildWill    pirate
09/05/2013 at 13:23

Thats my training for the day done (due to my afternoon comute)

AM
 - Swim - a recovery paced mile

LUNCH TIME
 - Run ... a lumpy 4.5mile

Nurse Ratched    pirate
09/05/2013 at 14:14

I'm toying with the idea of OW swimming, but it is still a wee bit nippy. Well done to those of you who have risked hypothermia. 

Is it normal to get fed up and a bit pissed off with all the training? Took all my willpower to get the lycra on this morning.

Having done 50 miles on my last ride, I went on the bike this morning with the intention of doing 60. Unfortunately, my back/hip had other ideas and I only managed 41.  It was pushing up the hills that was causing the problem, and I now know better than to try and force things. I'll phone today and make an appointment with the magic massage man. He'll get me sorted out in time for more miles next weekend. 

I did have one comedy moment, caused by taking my eyes off the road to look at the Garmin. Next thing I knew I was off-roading through a ditch full of muddy water then along the grass verge . However, I managed to unclip and come to a stop without falling over!

09/05/2013 at 16:49

I think that earns you at least 10 points NR. Trick riding on a road bike is impressive.

M...eldy    pirate
09/05/2013 at 17:56

Evening team

Nice off roading Nursey !!    Yes, it is quite normal to get a tad hacked off with training, it'll pass and you'll soon be back on track

Lovely late afternoon run in the woods for me, takes my mind off packing 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
09/05/2013 at 18:14

When do you head off Meldy?

M...eldy    pirate
09/05/2013 at 18:55

Toooosday  

10/05/2013 at 08:38

Easy week this week in prep for the Blaenavon Triathlon on Sunday.  And I think I've got my family's cold .... great feckin' timing.

10/05/2013 at 09:32

Anyone know the best (most reasonable) place to pick up some PowerBar Bars and Powergels?  Want to try them out as they're being used at IMUK. 

10/05/2013 at 17:16

Tim, I've had good luck over here at least on Amazon.  Especially if you want a case of 24 or something like that.

M...eldy    pirate
10/05/2013 at 17:24

I would check the usual WIggle/Chainreactioncycles et.c and keep an eye out for a deal ... they are usually around

QUick swim session for me today followed by a vet visit (not for me I hasten to add)

10/05/2013 at 17:31

Early visit to bike shop tomorrow before tri on Sunday.  Moral of this tale: don't mess around with gears if you don't know what you're doing

11/05/2013 at 18:20

Hope everyone's training is going well. Good luck for the tri tomorrow Tim!

Just joined the local tri club so I can do some open water training sessions. I found out last week that my current goggles are useless for open water (they're not tinted and can barely see out of them), has anyone got any suggestions for open water swimming goggles?

M...eldy    pirate
11/05/2013 at 18:31

BUdgie, I use Zoggs predator, tinted .. sorted 

11/05/2013 at 18:35

Ditto 

12/05/2013 at 09:11

Had my Zoggs for over a year, best goggles ive ever had. Don't get any fogging issues either.

Good luck Tim.

(Note to self, keep Lebbon away from my bike pre Grafham & Bolton racers) 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.