Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

9,061 to 9,080 of 10,139 messages
Nurse Ratched    pirate
17/05/2013 at 21:30

Just realised that I have some cracking sunburn on my legs after today's ride!

18/05/2013 at 00:04

what is this 'sun' of which you speak?

18/05/2013 at 07:55

Morning from sunny Wales

Llanberis is certainly the most scenic location ive been too for a triathlon. Went out for a little bike ride last night. Fell off due to pedal clipping in issues trying to start  on a hill. No damage though.

good riding Nursey.

good luck over the weekend IY

18/05/2013 at 21:45

Great day today ... 50 mile bike this morning, then this afternoon did a DIY tri with my 9 year old son Dan.  100m swim, 6 mile bike, 3 mile run, and he did brilliantly, I'm so proud of him.  Even bought him (and me ) a medal to mark the occasion.  

WildWill    pirate
19/05/2013 at 13:18

Weekends training influenced by the fact that we had a bit of a monsoon ... So just hiking and running

19/05/2013 at 14:14

Hi all.  I've been quiet of late. Work. Illness etc etc. Anyways...

I'm very happy to say that yesterday I completed the full distance swim in a 25m pool in 72mins. I'm really happy with this particularly given in the first week of Jan of this year I struggled to do 100m without practically passing out.

The secret? Some wonderful advice from here, the Swim Smooth website and a weekly Masters Swim class. So then, what's next for me?

- Half distance event in Sept of this year

- Alp D'Huez Tri in July '14

- Full distance event later in '14, possibly Florida or Western Auz

Thanks again everyone!

19/05/2013 at 16:02

My grand plan was cut short by a nagging IT band issue.  Did the sprint and olympic races yesterday but couldn't really run much in the olympic without some discomfort. The massage therapist I normally use was there for some post-race assistance so I saw her.  She worked me over, and good, but still woke up sore.  After a long discussion last night with my pal the PT, he suggested I take a week off, a real week off.   I guess 5-6 days of training since mid-2010 would qualify as "over use?"

I didn't want to do a silly HIM and jeopardize the real prize: Ironman Louisville.  

19/05/2013 at 16:41

Well done IY. Fet on a foam roller morning and evening to sort that IT band out and keep the niggly bugger at bay.

just done m first Tri for 2013. The Slateman was fantastic. Toughish 4 mile climb on the bike but rewarded with stunning views and very fast decents. Roads are in great condition here, only saw one pothole.

The run was hell, especially climbing out the slate quarry. Switchback after switchback. calf was irritating although not debilitating & the ankle held up well till about 3 k to go then started to get a bit sore. Will do this again, great place, great scenery, great event

19/05/2013 at 17:13

well done SD

and IY well done to you, too

Nurse, good riding

wanted to do a last long bike today before outlaw half but didn't sleep at all last night and thought it would just be counter-productive to try to have a long ride feeling rubbish. Going to do a longish turbo tomorrow and then next weekend some shorter rides practising drinking etc

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:54

Evening all.

a solid day for me.

LUNCH TIME

- 55min swim, including 2.5k acceleration set.

PM

-  3 hrs 50min spin...Spinervals 13 followed by a spin class

20/05/2013 at 22:14
21/05/2013 at 02:19

Just in case you all are hearing the news across the pond, Oklahoma is about 750 miles west of me so that massive tornado (2 miles wide, with winds near 200 mph) didn't impact me directly.  Still amazing.  The town it hit is basically gone and there was a direct hit on an elementary (primary to you?) school.

iron fraggle    pirate
21/05/2013 at 06:54

I've seen the news IY it sounds so awful 

WildWill    pirate
21/05/2013 at 20:47

evening all.

a mixed bag for me today.

AM

- Spin 30min. Intervals 1min on 1min off

- 15min stretch

LUNCH TIME

- Swim .. Main set 4 x400m intervals

PM

- 15mile run

- 20min stretch.

the shit news is that I pulled my calf 4miles from home and now it hurts like hell

Nurse Ratched    pirate
22/05/2013 at 14:41

Just back from the pool - in time to wriggle into my best spandex and back-comb my hair.  Off to see Thunder, Journey and Whitesnake tonight 

iron fraggle    pirate
22/05/2013 at 19:10

\m/   rock on nursey   \m/

my left foot is playing up again, it was stiff/sore after a longish run on saturday so i did the whole hot bath/massage/stretch/roller/stretch thingy yesterday and it's a bit tingly/tender today (though on the + side, it wasn't stiff this morning). Have decided to ditch the planned run today and give it another day to recover before pounding the pavement.

Had a good swim last night, off to repeat the hot bath/stretch/massage thingy again, and hopr to run tomorrow.

WildWill    pirate
22/05/2013 at 19:18

Just a short swim for me today ... Due to calf injury ... Tis dam sore.

have managed to get a physio appointment for Friday though.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
23/05/2013 at 13:42

Will and Frag, hope your aches and pains are better soon.

2½ hour run for me this morning.  Really enjoyed it, despite the return of the wind.  I'd forgotten to charge my Garmin and it was flat, so I used my phone to keep an eye on the time and just ran at a comfortable pace.  How lovely it was not to be looking at the numbers.

23/05/2013 at 21:57

Good running Nursey. Oh to be able to run properly again. 

My damn calf issue is just going on & on & on & on. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
23/05/2013 at 22:14

Should we re-name this thread 'Fatman to Cripple'?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.