Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

9,401 to 9,420 of 10,128 messages
08/07/2013 at 20:36

I'm really growing impatient waiting for Outlaw news! HELLO OUT THERE?!!

Nurse Ratched    pirate
08/07/2013 at 20:44

IY, I will write a race report once I return to the land of the  living.  Right now I am zombieing!

Quick summary to keep you going: swam, biked, ran. It was hot. I cried. Pirates are awesome. I am an Outlaw 

08/07/2013 at 20:55

Fantastic Nursey, who wasnt going to do an Iron distant tri in 2014 

Well done.

Alibear gave it a great go but was pulled up at in the latter stages of the bike.

iron fraggle    pirate
08/07/2013 at 20:55
Nurse Ratched wrote (see)

I did have a bloody amazing sherpa

**  polishes halo **  

08/07/2013 at 20:57

"Fantastic Nursey, who wasnt going to do an Iron distant tri in 2014" i mean in 2013

08/07/2013 at 20:59
Hi SD I'm doing my first tri in July and aiming for IM in 2014 (now let's wait and see how long it takes gastank to try telling us we'll be doing it in 2013!!) So how did you find your first tri experience?

08/07/2013 at 21:03
Thank you so much for that, Cat. At the moment, hubby works full-time shifts over 7 days (ie 5 days a week, but weekend days as well as Mon-Fri), and I work 3 evenings a week (also weekends as well as Mon-Fri). My only guaranteed free time is 2 hours a day Mon-Fri when wee one is at nursery. I spend one of those hours exercising the dog. Yes I can run with her, but not on the main roads (we live in the country, so there are no pavements!), and I obviously can't swim or bike with her. I do have a turbo, but still can't put in lots of hours on that. This is why I've decided to do shorter events meantime and IM in 2014. Wee one will start school Aug 2013 and I'll then have 5 hours a day Mon-Fri to do as I please - train! I can't commit to IM until I know that I can give it what it needs.

08/07/2013 at 21:04
This is great. I'm going to have so many experienced IMen mentoring me for 2014. Started reading Be Iron Fit. All makes sense so far. And an excuse for more shopping - HR monitor.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
08/07/2013 at 21:25

Oh feck off

08/07/2013 at 22:07

Not checked the forecast but since the beginning of the year it has blown pretty much consistently from the north so the likelihood is that they'll be into a head wind for most of the day. When they hit the coast at Cancale (a pretty little fishing village with some really good sea food restaurants) they turn and head west so there is a chance that there may be some cross winds. Looking out of the kitchen window the turbines are fairly whizzing round at the moment but it could, of course, drop overnight.

Although they'll be passing a mere 25kms to the east of my place, I haven't actually ridden the roads they'll be taking for a while so I went for a gentle spin earlier today to check out some of the route.  www.d2ride.co.uk

I did the climb though the forest of Paimpont on one of my first rides with the local club and I remember arriving at the top purple-faced and panting from the effort of trying to keep up with the local grimpeurs. Surely that ought to be worthy of categorisation I thought to myself.  Sadly, my memory was clearly playing tricks.  The sad reality is that it is a steady 2.5km drag with a maximum gradient of maybe 6% for a few hundred metres.

The area around Pampont forest is quite beautiful by the way. Paimpont Forest is supposedly King Arthur's realm Brocéliande.

Oh, and St Meen Le Grand is the birthplace of 3 time TDF winner Louison Bobet and home to a museum dedicated to him. The race will go right by the museum. There was some kind of function going on there today or I might well have gone in to take a look. Despite living just down the road all this time and passing it on numerous rides, I've still never managed to check it out.

09/07/2013 at 00:35

SD, you are a bastard! haha  I thought only women-folk brought up crap from 20 years ago to zap you! /run

09/07/2013 at 07:21

Was quite interesting reading through the threads early days comments. I think Budgie was down for a 2015 Ironman, lol

09/07/2013 at 08:01

SossigeDog - did you do your Ironman? Was it outlaw? Sorry I totally stopped following this thread and am really keen to know how you got on. If you have done it can you tell me what page/web page your race report is on?

09/07/2013 at 08:17

I remember seeing those comments from Nursie, at the time I wouldn't post on this thread as I was determined not to be sucked in to doing an Ironman before 2014. 

09/07/2013 at 08:33

Mrs Honk says,

Ha! You couldn't wait to put your name down for the Outlaw!

09/07/2013 at 09:10

Ooops, busted,  I shall have to start logging out my puter. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
09/07/2013 at 09:11
IronYank wrote (see)

SD, you are a bastard! haha  I thought only women-folk brought up crap from 20 years ago to zap you! /run

You can run, but you can't hide.  Either of you 

09/07/2013 at 09:23

Well done Nursey!

Cake    pirate
09/07/2013 at 11:46
fraggle wrote (see)

just popping in to say Nursey was Awesome yesterday 

+1 

Rafiki    pirate
09/07/2013 at 11:57

Well done guys - you were all amazing at the weekend. And the last ones out the bar - impressive!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.