Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

9,761 to 9,780 of 10,149 messages
04/09/2013 at 23:20

Manchester hundred on Sunday 6hrs 24

swim drills this morning, lots of sprints. 

Got an invite to break open water cherry this aft and did, first wetsuit swim and fish and alsorts. Got to say it messed with my head a bit and took a bit of sorting. Loved it though and it was great for the mrs and baby to watch so will be back later in the week  

Ironholgs    pirate
05/09/2013 at 08:26

Nice progress Gaz

10/09/2013 at 10:39

how curious. cant update my thread as im not logged in....

anyhow, been getting lots of swimming in. ( enforced gym membership includes free pool anytime - so 4 mornings a week, im getting wet.... ) not done any running ( knee niggle ) or any bike ( foolish slob ).

added a tempo trainer to this morning : improved the consistency no end....not so sure stroke rate makes a difference - garmin says no realy change when im sure I was running 60spm rather than my usual 44. also says I wasnt running 60 - so a little off.  but setting the lap beeper was useful to a degree.

that degree is how irritating the beeps are when your off pace - you either sprint to make up and then blow up and slow down or just crack on and the beep moves further from the wall....

anyone have experience with the tempo trainer ( other than it breaking etc )

hows your week peeps ?

Nurse Ratched    pirate
12/09/2013 at 09:55

Morning all

I am in need of some advice/inspiration/motivation.  I feel that my running has gone completely off the boil since Outlaw, and I'm struggling to get my mojo back.
I've never been a fast runner and I'm fine with that (quickest 10k was 55:46), I'm not looking to get super strong and ultra speedy.  I just like to put my shoes on and go for a run, but at the moment there's no enjoyment in it as every step feels like a slog. 
My times haven't really altered since before Outlaw, having been a 10-min-miler for some time now (if only I could have run Outlaw at 10m/m!), so a lot of this is probably in my head. 
In an effort to give myself a boot up the arse, I went back to my running club on Tuesday, for the first time in many months.  I was the slowest one there and felt completely demoralised.
I'm aware that I'm getting into quite a negative mindset about this, so I'm thinking about setting myself a running goal to work towards.  I've said since I started running that I have no desire to ever run a marathon.  However, having made it round the Outlaw run, a wee seed was planted and I'm now thinking I quite fancy a stand-alone marathon.
Since I have negotiated to do an ironman every other year, I quite fancy this as my biggie for next year. 
My problem is that I don't really know where to start with regard to training. There will be thousands of training plans out there, but I suspect that a lot of them will contain the same basic information. I'm also aware that different things work for different people. I know it's still a year away, but it will do my head good to start planning now.
So - I just want to get a feel for which plans worked for you guys if you've done marathons.  And this maybe sounds a bit daft, but should I be thinking about training to a certain level of running fitness before I embark on the training plan proper?

Sorry to waffle on, but I was so pissed off with myself on Tuesday night and I have been needing to offload!  I'm sure I can rely on you lot for a well-aimed size 10 

Rafiki    pirate
12/09/2013 at 10:12

Nursey - training for a marathon is fine - as long as it doesn't interfere with your Outlaw training!!

But basically they seem to fall into 3 categories, those that work on a distance, those that focus on time spent running and those based around heart rate. All do they same thing - more or less - its just deciding which one works best for you.

There's loads available on here (for subscribers - if you're not I can email them to you). Most are 16 weeks.

One thing that worked for me was incorporating some cross-training in every week - so I'd do a 2 hour ride rather than a 50 minute run - just to spice things up!

And yes, you should maintain a certain level of fitness before starting, but maybe do something else - weights, rowing etc etc so you are mentally up for running when you start.

12/09/2013 at 10:19

longest swim ever this morning ! 2575m. holly sh*t. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/374422871

now, its was rather slow. nothing like css ( i think ), but it was 2500+ first time ever gone that far. and it was in about an hour. and i could have done more if I didnt have to show up at work eventually. stroke rate avg up to 14, pace down 2:30+ but still 600m further than ive swam in 47+ years.

Nursey - How about trying something different ?  some track, cross country or 5k pace work ? a change of scene and pace might bring that mojo back

Nurse Ratched    pirate
12/09/2013 at 11:22

Don't worry your pretty little head Raf. I'll be cutting through that rowing lake like Jaws on speed. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
12/09/2013 at 11:23

Oh, and good swimming Sgt. 

Rafiki    pirate
12/09/2013 at 11:33

There's no need to swim too quickly Nursey - don't want to have to rush my fry up now do I?

Nurse Ratched    pirate
12/09/2013 at 11:37

Good point Raf. I'd hate to get out of the water to find you didn't have time to cook my bacon just the way I like it

iron fraggle    pirate
12/09/2013 at 13:34

* snigger *

Nursey, now we can swap so you can target the marathon if you like.....

Nurse Ratched    pirate
12/09/2013 at 15:02

I love you

but do please piss off 

iron fraggle    pirate
12/09/2013 at 15:03

Nurse Ratched    pirate
12/09/2013 at 15:29

Just been out on the bike, stopped at a junction, and managed to unclip left, lean right, tiiiiiiiiiiiiimber 

Ironholgs    pirate
13/09/2013 at 13:32

Nice falling Nurse, see you didn't manage to do that when you were running so you aren't as bad as you think - and I'm not impying you are cr*p at cycling either. We've all done it.

Got the all clear this week from the physio, and have ran back to back days without a problem. I'm on the little side road that leads to the main road, that in turn that leads to the (I)M6.

13/09/2013 at 13:51

Nice one Holgs! You'll be back before you know it. Any idea of target event you are looking to target? 

Nursey we shave all been there. It seems I can go for months cyclingnon my own and not falling but as soon I try and stop at a junction where there are people around I seem to be attracted to the floor. Always highly embarrassing 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
13/09/2013 at 16:19

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO , Holgs is back in the saddle. Great news. 

Nurse Ratched    pirate
13/09/2013 at 21:22

Does scalding yourself in a post-swim sauna count as a training injury?

Blistered fingers - OUCH

M...eldy    pirate
14/09/2013 at 02:05

14/09/2013 at 13:30

Greetings from sunny India 

sure you will be back on top form soon Nursey. I think all of us have earnt a good break after this years achievements.

good news on the injury BossHolgs

Work over here is long days and very tiring. My hours are 12:30pm - 9:30pm. By the time ive got back to the hotel & had some dinner its nearly 10:30pm, so a bit of catching up with the family then bed.

ive not gone out for a run yet as im trying to work out the best route where i dont have to run on the road. The driving is crazy. That being said ive used the gym and pool for 30 minutes in the morning. First time ive swam without a wetsuit in a few months, found that hard work.

Anyway, now off for an evening at Hard Rock cafe Pune. Eat some solid food that will hopefully make me solid again 

take care.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.