Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

81 to 100 of 10,139 messages
Nurse Ratched    pirate
25/04/2012 at 07:49
It's on order, and should be dropping through the letterbox any day now.
Nurse Ratched    pirate
25/04/2012 at 07:52
Lewis - just had a thought. We could name you after Norwich's most famous fan and call you.........................................Delia.
25/04/2012 at 08:02
From Norfolk, how about FiveToes?
Nurse Ratched    pirate
25/04/2012 at 08:16
Delia Fivetoes - sounds good to me!
VT'd    pirate
25/04/2012 at 08:46

I'm with the JFDI camp.  I just popped over from RW forum for a look, lurked a few weeks, posted an introduction, changed my forum name and signed up for Outlaw, all within a couple of weeks.

Since committing myself about October last year(yes that can be read two ways), I have bought my first ever bike, relearned to swim, trained and ran my first proper marathon, got the pirate kit and am now looking forward to my first couple of century rides.

You can do it, but first you need to believe in yourself, and in the advice and support on here. 

I am not normally into groups or clubs, in fact I've always shied away from anything that might sound clique or too chummy.  But really, without the can do attitude, and esprit de corps of this bunch I wouldn't have bothered my arse.

I firmly believe that if anyone wants to be a pirate then they need to try and do things the pirate way.  For me it's what sets them apart from all the rest, and the reason I'm happy to wear the yellow and black other than the red and black of my local tri club.

Set yourself a difficult target and you will rise to it.

seren nos    pirate
25/04/2012 at 08:52
2013 and warmer you say........a few are going to IM lanzarote.....

as far as the question of tattoos.....i think that if you done the distance then you can get the tattoo.....just cause you didn't do the more expensive branded one...thats my opinion...

anyone wanting to motivate themselves.come to the outlaw this year and help man the pirate
Ironholgs    pirate
25/04/2012 at 08:56
feed station
seren nos    pirate
25/04/2012 at 08:59
thank you holgs...my computer crashed on me
Ironholgs    pirate
25/04/2012 at 09:08
it's about the only useful contribution I've made to this forum all year
seren nos    pirate
25/04/2012 at 09:20
chatted to a guy in the marathon who said he had read and liked your book.. it was my claim to fame that i wore the same top as you
25/04/2012 at 12:23

Sod it, 2013 it is then.

Thanks for making me see sense, I think??

Holgs, i think you have contributed plenty already with your inspirational book. Anyone who hasnt read it should do!

Next event for me is Fritton Tri, be my first open water one. I may be a rubbish swimmer but i worked as a diving instructor for 4 years so feel comfortable in lakes & sea. Looking forward to donning a wetsuit again. First practise session is beginning of May

Lewis (FiveToes) - a new Park Run is starting at Fritton Lake from 5th May. Open water sessions there are 8am - 10.30am on a Saturday so you could incorporate a run & some open water training.

Are you doing the Norwich 100?

Edited: 25/04/2012 at 12:24
25/04/2012 at 13:30
"I may be a rubbish swimmer but i worked as a diving instructor for 4 years so feel comfortable in lakes & sea."

let's see how you cope with swimming in OW. one of the original pirates is an experienced diver, yet he always freaked swimming in OW - bizarre.
25/04/2012 at 13:43
fat buddha wrote (see)
"I may be a rubbish swimmer but i worked as a diving instructor for 4 years so feel comfortable in lakes & sea." let's see how you cope with swimming in OW. one of the original pirates is an experienced diver, yet he always freaked swimming in OW - bizarre.

This is a big topic on this side of the pond.  I'll link one of several articles but apparently the main cause of swimming issues is actual panic attacks--nothing to do with your health. 

If you've had that almost can't breathe, etc. feeling to start an open water swim, that's the feeling.  I had a guy die within 20 feet of me at IMKY last August.  No other abnormalites but a panic attack is most likely what did him in.

Article on Tri Swim Deaths

25/04/2012 at 13:55
That is strange. I guess its what your used to. All the open water & speciality courses i taught were in the sea. Andaman sea got quite rough in the winter, a lot bigger waves than a lake for sure think i'll be ok, lol.

Right what you say about panic though. I got the bends trying to stop a divemaster from bolting for the surface once. Experienced but she just lost it in a strong current
25/04/2012 at 14:16
panic attacks get many OW swimmers - even some experienced swimmers.

the problems often relate to the (lack of) visibility, taste/salinity, fear of the unknown (what's underneath you, buoys, chains etc), noise (motors) and then conditions such as temperature, swell, waves, currents, breakers etc. take a swimmer out of the comfort of a nice warm pool with lines to follow and stick them into a murky lake, then panic can easily set in.

I'm fine in OW as I swim in the sea a lot in summer, but even then you can get the odd freakery like putting your hand on a plastic bag (eeek), or jetskis getting too close (some riders break the close to shore limits) or - if you're my missus - putting your hand on a surfacing cormorant (that freaked both of them!!)

a few of us did IM Florida back in 2007 - lady died in the swim there but that was a cardiac incident but don't know if it was panic induced

25/04/2012 at 14:17
Ironyank - interesting article, thanks for sharing.
25/04/2012 at 14:25
Fb, totally agree mate, the low visability issue can certainly get the mind going. I've had to calm myself down a few times in the past to avoid panic with that one.

my biggest concern is the 2hr 20 time limit. Whats the best way to increase swim speed please? Similar to running & doing sprints?
25/04/2012 at 14:31
SausageDog wrote (see)
SausageDog wrote (see)

Sod it, 2013 it is then.

Thanks for making me see sense, I think??

Holgs, i think you have contributed plenty already with your inspirational book. Anyone who hasnt read it should do!

Next event for me is Fritton Tri, be my first open water one. I may be a rubbish swimmer but i worked as a diving instructor for 4 years so feel comfortable in lakes & sea. Looking forward to donning a wetsuit again. First practise session is beginning of May

Lewis (FiveToes) - a new Park Run is starting at Fritton Lake from 5th May. Open water sessions there are 8am - 10.30am on a Saturday so you could incorporate a run & some open water training.

Are you doing the Norwich 100?

Didn't take SausageDog long to crumble. I think I already knew it would be this year when I lurked in about October. Straight away though I was entering the single Enduroman!

I went for this because I already had found the site via a friend who knows No 6 from th Arch to Arc. It just went from there.

I'm happy with the £135 I paid to enter rather than the £375 for IMUK or IMW. Too much for me I'm afraid. If I had waited a bit longer I think I'd have gone for the Outlaw as so many people on here seem to be going. However I'll meet others in the New Forest come early June.

Good luck on your voyage 

25/04/2012 at 14:34
SausageDog wrote (see)
Fb, totally agree mate, the low visability issue can certainly get the mind going. I've had to calm myself down a few times in the past to avoid panic with that one. my biggest concern is the 2hr 20 time limit. Whats the best way to increase swim speed please? Similar to running & doing sprints?

I'm a big fan of Total Immersion Swimming.

Total Immersion

I did 4 sprints over the winter/spring, each with a 400 yard swim.  By the last swim, I had cut 1 minute off my time after doing some of the TI drills.  The whole idea of TI is to not fight the water.  

Take a look at the winner in this video: link. So smooth it looks nearly effortless.

25/04/2012 at 14:56
"Whats the best way to increase swim speed please?"

alongside what IY says

1:1 coaching
drill sessions
just swim more

I was once told by a tri coach that there wasn't much wrong with my technique, I just needed to swim more - so I did - and guess what? I got quicker.

the other thing to bear in mind - with OW swimming you're usually in a wetsuit which aids buoyancy which for most people gives them a better position in the water so you swim faster as a result, and the wetsuit surface helps reduce friction so again, you'll swim quicker.

plus, in a race, you will also benefit from some drafting on swimmers in front. if you are able to stick on the feet of a swimmer ahead, it can save you up to 20% on energy demand. in reality it's bloody hard to do that without a lot of experience
81 to 100 of 10,139 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.