Fatman to Ironman

Another Ironman journey

101 to 120 of 10,128 messages
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2012 at 17:01
fat buddha wrote (see)
...the problems often relate to the (lack of) visibility, taste/salinity, fear of the unknown (what's underneath you, buoys, chains etc), noise (motors) and then conditions such as temperature, swell, waves, currents, breakers etc.

Thanks FB. There's lots in that list I hadn't even thought of.

What is it about bouys and their chains that freaks people (me included) out?

M...eldy    pirate
25/04/2012 at 17:23
Lol at the Seren and Holgs show earlier!!

How to improve at swimming?  Swim lots 
seriously as FB has said, get some 1 to 1 lessons and iron out any kinks early on, join a masters group or something like that
2.20 is actually a fair amount of time to get round the distance (IMO)

Welcome aboard to those who have succumbed today .... Lanza next year?? 
25/04/2012 at 17:25
Thanks for the swim tips. So my one hour a week sessions may not be quite enough lol.

How much swimming do you guys do?

From next month i'll be doing one pool session & one open water.
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2012 at 17:30

Currently 2 hrs a week. Averaging 5km - 5.5km per week. And I always find the first weekly swim harder the longer it is since the week before. I could do with another swim hour in the week, but would have to give up a run or bike.

M...eldy    pirate
25/04/2012 at 17:35
The common thought is to swim 3 times aweek to improve and twice a week to maintain .... which I suppose means little and often to improve at this stage
What you dont want to do tho is to carry on the wrong way .. get some early advice and crack on 
25/04/2012 at 17:37
Just been told ive now got a place on Watisham Tri. So, next event 12th May.

Slightly longer than last Sunday

300m swim
20k bike
5k run
25/04/2012 at 17:54
Super, thanks.

I did get some front crawl lessons at the end of last year. Now i can do a few lengths front crawl i'll probably go to some of TriAnglia's weekly coaching sessions.

I should really drop a bike session & add another swim considering its my worst bit. Tend to do more cycling because its the most enjoyable
M...eldy    pirate
25/04/2012 at 17:58
Its comfortable to do the sessions that you are happy with

This would be excellent time to get the swim base sorted
25/04/2012 at 18:09
"How much swimming do you guys do?"

compared to others very little - in the pool perhaps 3 x 30min sessions a week (often just 2 sessions). and as soon as the sea gets to a comfy temperature, I'll be in there instead. I'm not a pool fan anyhow - chlorine does me for 24hrs if I don't use Beconase, and even then I can be sneezing lots after a swim

BUT my swimming is maintenance swimming these days, not for real improvement - I'm at the older end of the tri spectrum where maintenance is more important than trying to knock time off - age will do that for me!! and that's probably the same for all 3 disciplines for me - maintenance of form rather than improvement

as long as I can keep up with most of my age group and still beat some of you youngsters, that will do for me
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:16

Before my first try (May last year) I was travelling alot with work and so had easy access to the hotel pool. I think I swam 3 times a week. Not much at first - maybe 50m or so. I hadn't really swum since school.

I just kept reading about technique, looking at videos etc then plugging away in the pool. I think by Easter I'd cracked 4-500m. 

Doner Kebab    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:24
me - i live in the pool - do just over 10k a week on average over the last 4 months - yes i can swim but it aint fast and it aint pretty

oh and after outlaw im doing the reverse - im going to try a ironman to fatman
Edited: 25/04/2012 at 19:27
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:32
Sausage

CAUTION

DONER KEBAB is a serial over trainer, he likes pain with a dollop of pain on top, a rest day for DK until recently still involved training!!!

WARNING DONER IS NOT YOUR BENCHMARK

perhaps not even normal... In fact DK does a great job of making everyone else look relatively sane
M...eldy    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:34

Is anyone on here actually sane?
25/04/2012 at 19:35
Yes
seren nos    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:36
the voices in my head are always telling me I'm the sane one
M...eldy    pirate
25/04/2012 at 19:40
I rest my case 
25/04/2012 at 20:26
Just back from my swim and fortnightly weigh in. Lost another 2lbs, down to 14st 3lbs now, lightest ive been in over a decade.

Swam 71 minutes & did 80 x 25m. I guess you can take off the time it takes to turn round after each length in a pool as you dont need to stop start on an open water circuit.

Even managed 4 lengths of front crawl in a row, new record. Must be from the inspiration on here

Nothing wrong with a bit of insanity.
25/04/2012 at 20:26
I like to put pencils in my ears
Doner Kebab    pirate
25/04/2012 at 22:13
"perhaps not even normal... In fact DK does a great job of making everyone else look relatively sane"

if it wasnt for the nutters on here i would still be sat on my arse shooting zombies and warlocks until 3AM, now im up at 6AM in the pouring rain running half maras for laughs - i WAS relatively sane
25/04/2012 at 22:25
OK case in point....

DK now openly admits being SANE before Triathlons....

BUT

DK's version of sanity involved shooting Zombies at 3am....

FINAL RULING

DK has never been sane, somehow in my quiet suburban life running at 6 seems for more normal than shooting zombies at 3am
101 to 120 of 10,128 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.