Fink for Outlaw 2012

All training together! :-)

221 to 240 of 1,313 messages
bburn plO.dder    pirate
19/10/2011 at 13:55

Thanks, still a long way to go, but little steps and all that !

Another reader here too, Fink & Friel by my bedside, no wonder OH says I'm becoming obsessed

19/10/2011 at 14:04

i think it's good to read the books to give you an overall flavour of what's coming and what you need to manage.

OC - glad you like Friel/Byrne, too.   You've captured lots of the things I like about them.

One of their main things - which has been mentioned on this thread - is to concentrate on your limiters. Ie if your weak spot is swimming but you're a strong runner, do more swimming and less running.  That's really important if you're basing your training around Fink. One size def doesn't fit all. So really good point that OC's made - ignore what everyone else is doing/has done. It's awful when your max bike ride so far is 70 miles and you're talking to someone who's already done 100, twice! But it doesn't matter.

+1 for Run/Walk by the way.  Same as OC here - runs of more than an hour are run 9 mins/walk 1 min.  Really takes the pain out of a) doing LSRs during training and b) The Day.  Doesn't seem as daunting and helps you to keep your average speed up.  Well, does for me, anyway.  In both IM runs I might even have done negative splits.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
19/10/2011 at 14:23

OC and AH, it's really useful to have your advice.

As somebody coming to this as a runner, it's really tempting to fall back into running 5 or 6 times a week, because that my comfort zone. Also, I know it sounds a bit daft, but if I don't run, I have this guilty niggling worry that, firstly I'm not training hard enough, and secondly, I'll "loose my running fitness" and end up not being able to do it anymore.

I know it's stupid, because my goal isn't just be be a runner anymore, but it's difficult to break the habits and the mindset.

Or maybe it's just me!

19/10/2011 at 15:47

bburn - I know eXACtly what you mean.  In fact I had a crisis of running confidence recently and have embarked on a period of run-specific training until IM starts again at Xmas. But you're right - you have to be prepared to change your mindset for IM training. Having said that, you never know - some people smash their running PBs off IM training.

And, don't worry... once you get into IM training you certainly won't be feeling you're not training enough!

19/10/2011 at 17:21

Hi there,

I've just signed up for Outlaw too and hope to join the thread!

Some really useful and interesting posts here.

I've done a few sprints and an oly, but never done anything like this before. Do quite a bit of running but not particularly fast.

Hoping to follow Fink as well, but may end up doing a bit more biking, 'cos that seems to be my weak area.

Not really sure what I'm letting myself in for but hey ho!

Running Postie    pirate
19/10/2011 at 17:24

marafun over...bring it on!!!

enforced recovery, due to Fink being out of stock at Amazon.....I wonder why?

whats 'The life of Brian?'

19/10/2011 at 18:01

I got the Life of Brian thing!

Cake wrote (see)

Nope was me the other year as well when I started on this ironing lark.

Well it's not a knitting club. It's an ironing club Brilliant!
19/10/2011 at 18:06
whats 'The life of Brian?'

It's a very funny Film, and "He's a very naughty boy" sorry I really like Monty Paython RP try and get to watch it im sure it's still funny even though it's very old

ellabella16 well done on your entry, I'm not that brave yet

I'm not good at Swim Bike or Running "GULP" I have a lot of work to do!!!!

I'm in the process of trying to convince my dad to lend me his treadmill to train on for over the winter months. My plan is if I have treadmill I could pop down to garage where my bike could be on turbo and use both if weather bad
19/10/2011 at 18:07
Can you really turn a polystyrene cup inside out?

19/10/2011 at 18:20

I tried it today JEvans - and no!

Unless I did it too fast.

19/10/2011 at 18:30
Bburn, Re losing running fitness, don't worry about it. I've read a few times that cycling helps running, but running does not help cycling, and I believe it, esp if you spin on the bike, and get your legs used to a quicker turnover.

Also its non impact so you reduce your chances of injury.
If you train to HR bear in mind that typically your HR zones will be lower on a bike than on the run. I think Friel or Fink say in the region of 5%.

I have the Fink plans on Excel if anyone wants them (doesn't have the swim sets in, or the great content, so please still buy the book) but PM me if you want the plans themselves.

This year for my first IM I tried to follow Intermediate for a while but soon realised that with a 9-7 job and 2 young kids it wasn't going to happen, so went for a 6 day a week plan, being 2 swims, 2 runs and 2 bikes, with one run and one bike being long (er) than the other!

I averaged 6.5 hours over the 30 weeks and finished in sub 13 hrs. I'm a firm believer in consistency over distance / anything else.

Also, I didn't put in the intensity the plan suggested in the final phases. I wish I had, it might have helped a little, although come race day aside from the bike climbs I didn't go over Z2 on either bike or run. IM is not about training hard, its about training looong!

Enjoy, it's gonna be fun. Still hoping I can join ya'll!
19/10/2011 at 18:49
Gladys what where your long runs/bike plus what distance was your shorter run/bike.
19/10/2011 at 19:43

ST - You probably weren't, but don't be lured into thinking  you can get away with not doing too much - as tempting, and reassuring as it might be to hear that someone did really well on not much training.  We're all different and, although it pains me to say it Gladys must be talented to achieve what he did on the relatively low amount of training he was able to do .  It's bloody annoying really. If he was able to put in the hours he'd be dangerous. He did do a half the year before and did a fair bit of training the year before so i suppose that shows that consistency and building a good base is key.

There are plenty of stories in pirate lore of people who have had complete nightmare training periods yet still pulling off amazing races and doing really well. But there are other tales of people who for whatever reason couldn't train much and came a cropper - had a horrible experience or DNF'd. Even a few who did train and still found it really tough. It's just not fair.

What I'm bossily saying is - there are no short cuts. You have to put the miles/hours/effort in.  But if you DO put the hours in - it's completely and utterly doable. Train hard, race easy.

19/10/2011 at 20:31
Well, since I am not doing the bike bit, I will devote that time in the schedule to my polystyrene... I could name them all after peeps on this forum and work on them proportionate to the training effort
19/10/2011 at 20:53
Oh God, I agree with Henny (aside from the but about me having any talent etc) please don't look at me as any sort of role model. All I did was do as much as I could as regularly as possible. And as Henny says I did do a half the year before, so I had some sort of base.

In answer to ST however, in the 9 weeks of June and July I did (in reverse order) 52,53,89,100,65 mile rides. In the same period my runs were all over 5 miles (aside from the occasional brick session), with the longest 3 being 9,8,13. Which wasn't enough I don't think. Next time I would like to do something like 13,15,18 as my longest 3 runs, as the wheels came off after about 16 miles on the run, as much as anything I think because I was mentally telling myself this was uncharted territory. I also did a 4:1 run walk which gave a first half mara in 2hrs 10, and the second was 2hrs 40, so a big difference.

I also only did one Half IM (at the end of May) as a warm up, I'd ideally liked to have done 2 like many of the others did.

Hope that helps, happy to share my experience, but don't rely on me for any good advice other than "Be consistent"!
M...eldy    pirate
19/10/2011 at 20:59
Keeeeeeeeep Mincing  
19/10/2011 at 21:19
OrangeCannon kona-4    pirate
19/10/2011 at 21:19

gordo tips - all good reading......

gordos golden rules

4 pillars

basic ironman week

gordo tips index

Other essential listening for newbies......imtalk

19/10/2011 at 22:04
Feckers the lot of you!
19/10/2011 at 22:22
I see from the plan that it recommends a half ironman beginning of may are there any in UK around that time i know it is a long way off but in my job i need to plan. I know date are not out yet just wandered if anyone aware of one.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.